Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sheriff Joe gives two the boot

http://www.azcentral.com/news/electi...pa-county.html

Sheriff Joe Arpaio fired Chief Deputy David Hendershott and Deputy Chief Larry Black Friday following a six-month investigation into allegations of misconduct that targeted those two top aides and Capt. Joel Fox.

Hendershott and Black were told they were fired in letters the Sheriff's Office delivered to their homes on Friday afternoon.

The two sheriff's commanders will have the opportunity to review the allegations and findings against them, and present their sides in a hearing. The letter states that the firing is effective as of 5 p.m. May 5.

However, the decision to terminate the two longtime Arpaio aides is final.

The letters delivered to Hendershott and Black inform the two former commanders that if they choose to present their sides at a hearing, their statements will no longer be protected under the shield law-enforcement professionals enjoy when they are subjects of internal investigations.

"Therefore, any statement that you make during the name clearing hearing or any written statement that you provide for the hearing may be used to incriminate you," states the letter, written by Deputy Chief Mike Olson.

Hendershott and Black were at-will employees of the Sheriff's Office, the letters note, and were subject to termination at any time.

Fox is a classified employee and he will have the chance to appeal any punishment the Sheriff's Office hands down.

The careers of Arpaio's top aides came under scrutiny on the heels of a scathing 63-page memo written by Deputy Chief Frank Munnell and made public in September. After Arpaio received the memo, Hendershott, Black and Fox were placed on leave while the Pinal County Sheriff's Office conducted an investigation into Munnell's allegations.

That investigation ended last week when Pinal County Sheriff Paul Babeu delivered to Arpaio a 1,022-page report detailing each accusation and the investigation's findings.

Arpaio said he would not release the report until he determined what punishment, if any, the commanders would face and the accused had a chance to review the findings.

Even though Arpaio fired Hendershott and Black, the sheriff's attorneys will not release the entire document until Fox has exhausted his employee-appeals process.

The memo that brought down Hendershott, the most powerful employee in Arpaio's agency, included detailed allegations of mismanagement and misconduct. It painted Black and Fox as Hendershott allies who benefited from a double standard of discipline and oversight.

The investigation was internal, not criminal, and if charges are warranted, a separate agency would have to conduct a criminal probe.

Arpaio's decision brings an end to two long and controversial careers in the Sheriff's Office.

Hendershott joined the Sheriff's Office in 1978, a year after Black, his schoolmate at Brophy College Prep, joined the agency.

The two steadily rose through the ranks of the Sheriff's Office and generally flew under the public radar until Hendershott retired in 1999 and was rehired soon after as a civilian employee collecting $120,000 in pay from the Sheriff's Office and $43,000 in annual retirement benefits.

The move was challenged, but ultimately was upheld in court, creating a precedent that troubles budget hawks and appeals to public employees to this day.

The move also ensconced Hendershott as Arpaio's Number Two, a position he would hold until Friday and one where sheriff's employees claim Hendershott consolidated power and developed a double-standard of discipline that rewarded his friends and punished those who crossed him.

The claims about Hendershott were regularly made by sheriff's employees and subsequently dismissed by Arpaio until Munnell's memo was made public last fall.

Munnell's document, which detailed years of alleged abuse and misconduct by Hendershott, also depicted Black and Fox as Hendershott lackeys who benefitted from the double-standard Hendershott used in day-to-day operations of the Sheriff's Office.

Among the allegations Munnell made:

- Hendershott, Black and Fox tried to obstruct justice, tamper with witnesses and destroy evidence after they learned the Arizona Attorney General's Office was investigating a political fund and its contributors. The day after state investigators seized computers and financial records from Fox's home in March 2009, Hendershott is alleged to have told Munnell in a closed-door meeting that Munnell likely would be questioned about the committee. "This conversation never happened," Hendershott began. Munnell recounted, "He told me 'not to freak out,' that I 'didn't have to talk to them,' and that I 'should have them see my lawyer.' " Later that evening, state investigators visited Munnell's home. Munnell was upset that Hendershott "told me not to cooperate with investigators when he clearly knew I would be interviewed for a criminal investigation," he wrote in his memo.

- Hendershott "willfully prevented" internal affairs from initiating investigations or disciplining his allies - specifically Fox and Black. Munnell recounted a 2005 controversy within the agency's SWAT team partly attributable to Fox. Although the internal affairs commander at the time recommended Fox be investigated for unprofessional behavior and lying, Hendershott did not discipline Fox. Instead, the chief deputy disbanded the entire unit.

- The Maricopa County Corruption Enforcement Unit, created in 2007 by Arpaio and former County Attorney Andrew Thomas to fight public corruption, instead conducted politically motivated investigations. He said the unit suffered poor morale and high turnover because of Hendershott's micromanagement. According to Munnell, Hendershott's "continual interference and constant pressure to rush investigations" was the reason high profile criminal investigations were ultimately dismissed or pleaded down. On March 19, 2009, Munnell alleged, Hendershott removed several detectives and commanders from the unit after they refused to write an illegal search warrant that he ordered to be served on several members of the county Board of Supervisors. After learning his subordinates refused to write the warrant, Hendershott reportedly said, "I'm fresh out of loyal guys, who am I going to get to do this?" Later that evening, Hendershott repeatedly called a lieutenant involved in the discussions and said that staff "better get on board," and then said he would "machine gun" every one of them.
    NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

What's the difference between a Chief Deputy and a Deputy Chief?
    Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Cashola?

AFAIK, the Chief Deputy is the Sheriff's right hand while Deputy Chiefs are more like "division commanders."
      NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Comment

Well since he was already retired for the last 12 years anyway, he can return to retirement.
        What is Perseverance?
        -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
        -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
        -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

But he loses his honeypot gig making $120k/year. Hope he's been saving up!
          NRA Life Member

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt. Slaughter View Post
            But he loses his honeypot gig making $120k/year. Hope he's been saving up!
            Well I would say that there is, on a rough estimate, zero percent chance he saved anything. It strikes me that corrupt, shady people never do. It doesn't seem to matter if they are hustling on the city street or on Wall Street, they never think that far ahead.
            There are basically two kinds of people in this world. Those that believe in the moon landing and those that don't.
            http://unistat76.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by TheKansan View Post
              Well since he was already retired for the last 12 years anyway, he can return to retirement.

Please click on the below link....As you can see tha' Admirals crystal balls were right once again, I must decare.....

You see Officer....One cannot really understand the scope of the post from the Great Officer Sgt. "I will cut you into with this shotgun" Slaughter... unless you really live in this part of "this place" we call Maricopa county...A place that does not have a political tangible plane of conventional tactics such as in the teachings of Carl Von Clawswitch or Sun Tzu.
              Here in Maricopa county we have a petri dish of the perfect mixture of back stabbing, bribe taking, cut throat cronyism, perpetual pre-teen adolescent name calling, mid night deals cut in our legislating room of mindlessness madness, self serving, pocket lining money monkeys, a place where the rules change mid game, anywhere, anytime.

This place would make a political prison yard, yes even including Chicago drool with envy.

I could start 20 year in the past with a laundry list of felonies, accusations, moves that would make the wildest Hollywood movie producers eyes pop out and roll away, all with footnotes, and legal documentation of indictments, convictions stacked like cord wood, high crimes and misdemeanors, in numbers, as many as all the different snowflakes dropped by our Creators hand...

You see, love or hate Sheriff Joesph M. Arpaio, one must understand the machine he and his trusted two cohorts built, it's structure apex was too pinn headed, that finally rolled and fell like two worn out, rotten trees being felled my a mere puff of a skunk fart........

At this time I must be perfectly clear on my opinion of the Officers, the real deals, Officers that have worked in this true border combat scape...I might seem a bit non-impartial on this facet of this "machine" we the people proudly call M.C.S.O. Having had many years of professional contact with these true lawmen, as a distributor of weapons and other professional gear, I have been proud and humbled by those, the Officers, that take and hold point for the peoples law, those who would non selfishly forgo their lives to serve their community with no second thought or hesitation. Like the Officers here, here in the "O", all brothers and sisters and get any few if any kudos from the commie like press and "public at large".

This natural, possible insane and engulfed with paranoia genius, only like the former DEA agent that he was, battled the Italian drug cartels of central Italy could build, command and politically isolated himself like a praying mantis in a green potted plant....

The time has come, where this Mantis has realized that reality stretches beyond twigs and neon vacancy signs hanging at the entrance of his personal jail called tent city, again, love or hate him...

The Professor knew it would catch him in the end...before times end anyways..

I also know that we all wake up every morning and have to look ourselves with a little help from our friend, reflection. Apparently some people have the ability to look through reflection. I believe Joe Arpaio is one of those types.

The below link I posted in the appropriate section... Unfortunately it was sure to be self prophesied by him, not I, nor anyone else..

http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho...the-tide-again

Below is a link to a quite liberal rag we have here....But when you see and take stock in the words like I did, police officers reading this and chatter'in around the water cooler with this in hand...It can and will, make ones knees wabbly....

Please read it, it is well presented and not disputed by the vast majority, LEO's and civy's included. admittedly it takes some strength to dig deep within one gut and see it for what this mess is truly about.

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/2010-...-down-hell-no/

The below link was the beginning of a total all out war for the sheriffs run in 2008, there was one tactic of attack from Sheriff Joe used that was not mentioned in this article.
              Arpaio correctly stated, with perfect timing, that Chief Saban was sexually abused as a youngster by his father, and obtusely couched this fact that it would or did have a disabling affect on Chief Sabans ability to be a qualified candidate, by a unjust and cruel default.

http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/bas..._dan_saban.php

Now, a person who wakes up in the morning generally have to look at oneself...I'd need alot of steam on dat' reflector...alot.

Grand Canyon State politics with all the trimm'ins...

Whatever its fault, Joe was the prime mover for SB 270 that in and by itself is worth alot of something, history will thank us for it....If as Thomas Jefferson said," if we can hold on ta' tha' damn thing"...

As far as the double dipping goes the 120k was gravy from the man, rhe 43K was legit IMO.

The ball busters turned out to be Black and Fox, they knew they were going down...out of spite Munnell and to survive this investigation he rolled with Hendershott getting caught in what he has been doing for years even before retirement, Covering and being a steel buffer for Joe...Damn near literally, nutt'in was given a green or red light from Joe, they always came from his best friend Henershott..

The only question da' professor has is this.....

what da' hell happened to dat' most pertty PIO fer' Joe, her name is Lisa Allen, Like I said....She was kinda' hot....
              Last edited by asullivan; 04-23-2011, 03:27 PM.
              Originally posted by mookster
              Sully, usually I hafta glance over your posts cuz my brain would have issues with the imagery you portray, however with that one I get it. I agree one hundred percent with ya.
              Originally posted by CityCopDC
              I swear to god you are not human. I know a rogue VI when I see one.
              Originally posted by OfficerDotCom
              I think no one is probably happier than Sully and I that we ARE NOT the same person.(seriously thanking God for that one).
              -Frank

Old Physicists neva' die, they just hop on a horsey and fly away inta' an infinitely massive black ho ...

Comment

Originally posted by Unistat View Post
                Well I would say that there is, on a rough estimate, zero percent chance he saved anything. It strikes me that corrupt, shady people never do. It doesn't seem to matter if they are hustling on the city street or on Wall Street, they never think that far ahead.
                Those in the investment fraud business do save money, often hiding it in untraceable accounts. I have seen several cases of defendants who claim to have no assets yet live quite well.
                Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
                Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Hendershott consolidated power and developed a double-standard of discipline that rewarded his friends and punished those who crossed him.

Sounds like my dept., lol.

Comment

So who hired this guy back? And who was responsible for promoting them both to the positions they had?

Comment

Its always drama with MCSO and the media. I love working with their Deputies though. For once I can show up to a scene and someone other than the Border Patrol Agent (me) will get accused of harassing and/or racially profiling someone.

Comment

Originally posted by asullivan View Post

The only question da' professor has is this.....

what da' hell happened to dat' most pertty PIO fer' Joe, her name is Lisa Allen, Like I said....She was kinda' hot....
                        She's still around sully, received a press release from her awhile ago.

Comment

The claims about Hendershott were regularly made by sheriff's employees and subsequently dismissed by Arpaio until Munnell's memo was made public last fall.
                          The heart of the matter. Selective hearing.
                          Pete Malloy, "The only thing black and white about this job is the car."

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3465 users online. 181 members and 3284 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X