Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Police Officer is relieved of duty after he is discovered to be a Mexican citizen.

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Police Officer is relieved of duty after he is discovered to be a Mexican citizen.

Not many details yet, and the only charge is for a False Passport. Man, what a shame that he slipped through the cracks in the first place.

http://www.ktuu.com/news/ktuu-apd-of...,1192462.story

ANCHORAGE, Alaska—

An Anchorage Police officer has been serving under an assumed name and is in the country illegally, the U.S. District Attorney's Office says.

Rafael Mora-Lopez, 51, is charged with a false application of passport, using the name Rafael Espinoza to apply or re-apply for a passport in January. When the application was made, it was discovered by the Department of State that duplicate passports with the same information existed.

Anchorage police say Mora-Lopez, who is actually a Mexican citizen, had been with the Anchorage Police Department as Rafael Espinoza since May of 2005.

The Department and the U.S. Attorney’s Office would not say how long Mora-Lopez had been in Alaska or the U.S., or how long he had been using Espinoza’s name, saying that many details would not come out until trial because it is an ongoing investigation.

U.S. Attorney Karen Loeffler said charges were brought Thursday, and Mora-Lopez was arrested the same day. “It came to our attention and was resolved in about 24 hours,” Anchorage Police Chief Mark Mew said.

Mew emphasized that, other than the false name, there is no other evidence of wrongdoing on Mora-Lopez’s part. He said Mora-Lopez, as Espinoza, was known as hardworking, professional and was well-respected amongst his colleagues. “The problem is, he is not Rafael Espinoza,” Mew said.

Mew said that the real Rafael Espinoza, a U.S. Citizen, has a “squeaky-clean” record, and that any background check for Mora-Lopez under the assumed name would have showed that clean background. He also said a fingerprint check would not have discovered anything unless Mora-Lopez had been fingerprinted as a criminal or for other employment opportunities and background checks.

Mew did say, however, that Mora-Lopez’s polygraph test, which law enforcement officers take prior to employment, would be examined, if possible.

“It is a career-ending matter,” Mew said.

Mora-Lopez worked on the swing-shift patrol, and Mew said that the other officers on that shift are, “of course, devastated. He’s a core member of that shift.”

He said many officers feel betrayed, and that “it’s a bitter pill to swallow.” Mew characterized Mora-Lopez as “an honest guy who lied his way into a job.”

U.S. Attorney Karen Loeffler said that many details were kept under wraps, both for the privacy of the real Rafael Espinoza and the defendant, Mora-Lopez, and for the sake of the ongoing investigation.

Loeffler emphasized that the matter had only come to light within the last day or so, and that many things were still being sorted out.

False Application of Passport is a federal crime with a 10-year maximum sentence, Loeffler said. She said it is possible that other charges will be brought, but currently, Mora-Lopez is charged with just one count.

Mora-Lopez was arraigned at 3 p.m. Friday. He made a statement, saying, "I was very proud to serve the community."

I thought illegal immigration wasn't a problem in the north?
    I yell "PIKACHU" before I tase someone.

Comment

The guy was a good cop and had high marks. He had been here in the U.S. for 30 years and worked for the city for the past 13 years (bus driver prior).
      Sad to see him go as there are tons of American born citizens who offer nothing to this country.
      Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer [This sig stolen from Brickcop who stole it from Frank Booth].

Comment

There's a Checkers/double jump joke in there somewhere...

Even more proof that the polygraph is pure junk science, based on faulty assumptions, that gives a false sense of security to small-minded bureaucrats.

Every time this guy testified in court, every time he signed his name on an official document he was committing a crime.

I wonder how many really bad people are going to get out of prison because of this guy.
        sigpic
        Don't make me gassy.
        You wouldn't LIKE me when I'm gassy...

If you're offended by something that I've said...it was just your turn.

Comment

Originally posted by ComicGuy View Post
          There's a Checkers/double jump joke in there somewhere...

Even more proof that the polygraph is pure junk science, based on faulty assumptions, that gives a false sense of security to small-minded bureaucrats.

Every time this guy testified in court, every time he signed his name on an official document he was committing a crime.

I wonder how many really bad people are going to get out of prison because of this guy.
          Agreed, I'm glad he got caught.

Comment

Well, that's ok. I hear they need cops in Mexico.
            There are basically two kinds of people in this world. Those that believe in the moon landing and those that don't.
            http://unistat76.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by That Guy View Post
              The guy was a good cop and had high marks. He had been here in the U.S. for 30 years and worked for the city for the past 13 years (bus driver prior).
              Sad to see him go as there are tons of American born citizens who offer nothing to this country.
              There are good and bad people everywhere. Whether or not he was a good cop while serving his duty, he came here illegally. That's lying to the agency who hired him (must have not given him a thorough background check), and it's a slap in the face to anyone who spent the time and money to get here legally.
              Been chatting to a girl online. She's funny, sexy and flirty. Now she tells me she is an undercover cop! How cool is that at her age!?

Comment

Further proof that the poly is worthless. It's not going to turn up anything. Might as well hire a psychic instead.

Comment

Originally posted by That Guy View Post
                  The guy was a good cop and had high marks.
                  I have heard the same things from some of the other officers as well, including one from a different department. Besides this hearsay, me posting this article does not imply any judgement or "bashing" on the department. Mistakes were made, now let the system figure it out.

Comment

Originally posted by Rudy8116 View Post
                    I thought illegal immigration wasn't a problem in the north?
                    You'd be surprised. We already have enough problems with our own.

Comment

Must have a real thorough background investigator working up there. Geez, how did you miss that, troop?
                      Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

Originally posted by Dellde View Post
                        Further proof that the poly is worthless. It's not going to turn up anything. Might as well hire a psychic instead.

Agreed.

And if someone fails the polygraph they are screwed for future jobs.....even though they might have nothing wrong. That's why I don't like it for jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by SgtCHP View Post
                          Must have a real thorough background investigator working up there. Geez, how did you miss that, troop?
                          Again he had been here for about 30 years., did you read the article? I have caught at least one person being booked and fingerprinted by DOC who was not the assumed person but made it all the way through and released. He provided all the documents and there were NO fingerprints on file to compare with. If you think he is the only immigrant (meaning MX and non-MX) that has done so/ or is doing then you your head is in the sand. It really isn't that hard. But then again we aren't experts like you I guess.
                          As with immigration we have a lot of non-Mexican illegals living here who I believe walk right past you guys down south since they look like any other anglo and don't stick out.

Originally posted by HEDP View Post
                          Agreed.

And if someone fails the polygraph they are screwed for future jobs.....even though they might have nothing wrong. That's why I don't like it for jobs.

I have no clue why depts. still use that damn thing. We should do the whole battery to the testicles way IMHO.

As for this guy I worked side by side with him and I trusted my life with him then and I would still do so now. He is screwed but I will say I hope the best for him.
                          Last edited by That Guy; 04-23-2011, 12:13 AM.
                          Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer [This sig stolen from Brickcop who stole it from Frank Booth].

Comment

The guy lied in order to become a cop. You can not reward someone like this. It is a good thing they caught him and fired him.
                            Budda sat in front of a wall and when he stood up he was enlightened. I sat in front of a wall and when I stood up the wall was enlightened.

We forge our skills in the fire of our will.

Comment

Also you really have NO idea what his history was in Mexico, he could have been a serial felon there.

Bill
                              Just pay your dues, and be quiet :-)

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7083 users online. 365 members and 6718 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X