300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RE: senior citzen drivers thread in rookie corner

http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho...zen-drivers...

I am not a cop, but would like to share a story about a senior driver getting off the street.

A member of my church, in her mid-90's, had an accident where she pulled out of a driveway in front of a car. The other driver tried to avoid her, but could not. No one hurt, but extensive damage to both cars. She was not sure what happened and actually drove on for a ways before she pulled over, dragging her rear bumper.

I had been concerned about her driving before this, because I kept seeing damage on her car, and she wasn't always able to tell me how they'd happened. She had had another accident; been warned for running a red light; had knocked over my post box and backed into a shed at the church. Clearly it was getting beyond her to drive.

After this latest accident, she tried to maintain it was not her fault-- that she had gotten safely into the turn lane (not what the report said) and that it was a snowy day and the other driver was driving a white car. She told me she knew she would have to give up driving "one of these days" but she didn't believe the time had come yet.

But, one thing she couldn't escape was that the police report found her at fault. The officer very kindly came out to the house and made sure she understood that she had caused the accident, and that he was requiring her to take a driving test. And I, as her pastor, gently but firmly told her that I did not believe she should be driving any longer, and that I would help her make other arrangements for transportation.

It took awhile, but by the time the case went to court, she voluntarily surrendered her license. And now she is indeed learning how to get around without having a car, and the congregation is helping her do that.

To the OP in that other thread, I would like to say: by all means, do make sure that driver understands she was at fault. Sometimes your report is what will give family/pastor/friends the evidence they need to convince the person the time has come to turn in the license. If you can order a driving evaluation, go for it.

As hard as it is to give up one's mobility and independence, a person like my parishioner would be devastated if she caused someone's death or injury.
    We do not all come to religion over the wandering years,
    but sooner or later we all get to meet God. -- Edward Conlon

Well said & done, CK!
    This Space For Rent

Comment

Originally posted by Pogue Mahone View Post
      Well said & done, CK!
      as always.
      "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Orwell

Comment

Thanks, guys.

I see so many families worry about their elders' driving-- for the police to write up their driving incidents is a good thing, and can help prevent something really bad from happening.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaplain Keppy View Post
          Thanks, guys.

I see so many families worry about their elders' driving-- for the police to write up their driving incidents is a good thing, and can help prevent something really bad from happening.
          This really hits close to home as my mom was a horrible driver before she got old and as she got older her driving got worse. She was involved in several serious accidents over the years,luckily none fatal for all involved but all her fault. She refused to give up her license as she had no other way to get to church,the store,the pool or wherever. I kept my fingers crossed for years!

When she had to re-test to get her license renewed the last time, due to all the info on her accidents from LE and her own inabilities and a few tickets,she didn't pass! She was very depressed for awhile but soon learned to adapt. By then I'd quit driving truck,moved back to Wyoming and as a school bus driver,I had hours free between my route times and could either take her where she needed to go or go for her. Had cancer not taken her I know a car accident would have so I'm grateful that someone or some law or some rule made the decision for her and it all turned out ok.

In a town that's 95% retired people over 75 and drivers,I fear an accident in town over one on the highway! I'm all for having to do a driving test every 2 years for all over the age of 68 in order to keep driving,myself included!
          I'm old......that's all.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaplain Keppy View Post
            Thanks, guys.

While I agree whole heartedly with that, it seems to me that there should be more done to screen older drivers who might be at risk of causing accidents. We should try additional preventive measures rather than relying only on the luck of an officer seeing bad driving (or worse, the result of it).
            This Space For Rent

Comment

I just moved back to AZ and there's a certain town in the north west Phoenix area I will avoid driving in at all costs. If they aren't driving a land yaht they're driving golf carts on the public roadway. Most of the people there shouldn't even be allowed to ride a bike much less drive a car. You hear all the time about elderly people who have accidents such as the one's who drive into businesses because they got 'confused' and hit the gas instead of the brake often times hurting people. I think that the MVD or DMV should require yearly re-tests after you hit 60. Not to say that everyone over 60 is a bad driver but some people loose their ability to drive at a much younger age than others.
              "I'm sorry, did you see my care face? Because I'm pretty sure I didn't show it to you becuase I DON'T care. Have a nice day. "

Comment

Good story. I was the OP for that job involving the senior citizen driver in the rookie corner. She is slated for a retest. Also, her car has dings dents, scratches and chips all over, her neighbors also reported seeing her back over things and nearly hit young children in the roadway on certain occassions, even on a bright sunny day. Some of her neighbors actually seem to "fear" her driving capabilities.

Comment

I'm glad you saw this thread, PT rock-- and I am glad to hear you have her slated for the retest. Good luck with it!

Comment

Originally posted by Chaplain Keppy
                    ... It took awhile ...
                    Language Police Alert!

The Chaplain is hereby cited ...

OK, per Orders from On High, no ticket for the Chaplain ...

but it is imperative that the Chaplain be advised ...

"awhile" is an adverb, and must not be used as if it were a noun, as the word "while" in the phrase "a while" is.

Comment

Originally posted by Monty Ealerman View Post
                      Language Police Alert!

The Chaplain is hereby cited ...

OK, per Orders from On High, no ticket for the Chaplain ...

but it is imperative that the Chaplain be advised ...

"awhile" is an adverb, and must not be used as if it were a noun, as the word "while" in the phrase "a while" is.

I stand convicted!

Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa!

Thank you for letting me off with a warning, sir!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4170 users online. 223 members and 3947 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X