Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New York Police Handcuff First-Grader; Say It Was The Right Thing To Do

Horrors! He was handcuffed!

First-grader Joseph Anderson didn't like the way his Easter egg turned out so he threw a tantrum at a Queens school. Teachers at Public School 153 told Anderson, who is a special education student, that if he didn't calm down they would send him to the hospital. His mom told the New York Daily News that after the ultimatum, the 7-year-old jumped on his desk and started screaming, "I just want my mommy."

Anderson was handcuffed and taken to the hospital by a New York Police Department officer. The Daily News reports that Anderson's mother had told the school she was on her way and that NYPD say their officer acted appropriately:
    The NYPD defended cuffing the kid, saying in a statement that he was "acting in a threatening manner." A source also said he was waving scissors.

"He was a danger to himself and others in the classroom," a spokesman said. "He started spitting and cursing at the officers. The handcuffs were used to restrain the child because of his behavior. He was a danger to himself."

This is the third time the school has sent Joseph to the hospital for a psychiatric evaluation. The school suspended the boy for two weeks.

Earlier this month, an 8-year-old second-grader was pepper sprayed in the Denver area. Police said the boy was spitting at teachers and trying to stab them with a piece of molding he broke off a wall.

School officials there told local TV station KUSA that the officers did the right thing:
    "He was violent, he was verbal, he was abusive," Community Superintendent Peg Kastberg said. "The police were very thoughtful and thorough about the actions that they took."

The boy's mother told KUSA she hoped the school could've resolved the issue by talking to him. "I'm sure what he was doing wasn't right, but he's 8 years old," she said. "They walked in, asked him to drop the stick, and then sprayed him with the spray... I think it's excessive."
    Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

And yet if they had held his arms to his side so he couldn't hurt himself/others the family would be filing suit for abuse.

Comment

Here's the problem I see with the education system. It is so pansy and hands off intept at handling disciplinary problems they put themselves in positions of loss of control. Then they find themselves in situations where they simply don't act upon their own means and bring in the police.

At which the police act within a different set of rules of engagement.

"The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws."
      - Cornelius Tacitus

Comment

Don't blame the schools; as with pretty much everything ****ty about daily life, it comes back to the ****ing lawyers. Schools can't afford to be sued out of existence, and so you get this bull****.

Comment

Don't call the police and act surprised when they behave like the police

Comment

Originally posted by Dingo990 View Post
            Don't call the police and act surprised when they behave like the police
            This. +1000

Comment

The pu**yfication of America at its finest.

Comment

I dealt with this everyday when I worked security for CPS, they call us to control the situation of a child getting physical and then get bent out of shape when we handcuffed the child. It's like honestly what do you think the handcuffs are for???? Yes we call them braclets but their not for our fashion sense. LOL

Plus depending on the age of the child we were usually using the zip lines. People just love to complain

Comment

LOL back in 1980 I had a first grade teacher that was close to 100 years old then. She would have snatched that little turd up by the neck before he even got started good with a tantrum.
                  I remember once I laid my head down on the desk while she was talking. Next thing I knew a sharp pain on the back of my neck. It was her with a ruler. I swear she beamed her self across the room it was so fast. The next 12 years I never once laid my head down in class again.

Kids are just special little snow flakes today though. I keep saying this "Everyone is a winner" idea is going to really pay off in the near future!

I use to offer some sort of insight to these types of problems, How it start, where we went wrong, ext. ext.
                  I was in meetings last week some of them covering these types of actions. Really in the schools everything is so far out of control I have no idea anymore. Just hang on for the ride.
                  Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless - like water.

Comment

I've met several first graders who asked me to handcuff them.

Comment

Originally posted by DAL View Post
                      I've met several first graders who asked me to handcuff them.
                      That just don't sound right.
                      It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.

Comment

Originally posted by DACP View Post
                        That just don't sound right.
                        Try going in uniform to an elementary school to talk to the kids. They want to play with your toys.

Comment

Originally posted by DAL View Post
                          Try going in uniform to an elementary school to talk to the kids. They want to play with your toys.
                          It still sounded wierd.
                          I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

Originally posted by reils49 View Post
                            It still sounded wierd.
                            lol
                            Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless - like water.

Comment

Realize this kid was a special ed kid with emotional problems. They can bee literally impossible to control with real force and can do you harm. My niece taught in the NYC schools for a couple of years, had a 6 year old through a chair at her.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3863 users online. 224 members and 3639 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X