300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ohio Officer commits suicide at police station

EUCLID, Ohio - A Euclid police officer committed suicide inside that city's police station Wednesday morning.

Sources tell Newsnet 5 that Sgt. Kevin Blakeley, a 28 year veteran of the force, had just been notified that charges against him were imminent related to cash missing from the police evidence room.

Moments later he turned his gun on himself and took his own life.

"Police officers, it's tough for them," said Euclid Mayor Bill Cervenik, "they are a family and they lost a member today."

Cervenik said Blakeley spent the bulk of his nearly three decades in the department working in narcotics and vice.

"A great part of what he did was he worked for our sweeps, where we had problems in certain nieghborhoods, Kevin would lead those details and be able to make people who are causing trouble in the neighborhoods understand that this isn't where they ought to be."

Earlier in the day Cervenik released the following statement:

“The city of Euclid and the Euclid Police Department are saddened by the tragic passing of this officer. Our hearts go out to the officers that work with this individual. The entire city is mourning the loss of this public servant. On the behalf of the entire city of Euclid, I extend our deepest sympathy, thoughts and prayers to the officer’s family.”

The city is flying all flags at half staff.

"Regardless of the circumstances and the fact that we don't understand why certain things happen in a person's life and what decisions they make," said Cervenik. "He's still one of ours and always will be."

The Cuyahoga County Sheriff's Office is handling the death investigation.

No other information is available at this time and the story is developing. Keep checking newsnet5.com for more information.

So sad... rest in peace, officer.
    We do not all come to religion over the wandering years,
    but sooner or later we all get to meet God. -- Edward Conlon

Comment

God that's awful. Rest in peace Officer.

Comment

Damn! RIP!
        Pete Malloy, "The only thing black and white about this job is the car."

Comment

This is terrible. For the officer, his co-workers, the general public that he was entrusted to protect - and most all his family.

I certainly hope the investigation of the allegations against him dont affect his family negatively. Its bad enough that they lost a father/brother/husband/son.
          There are 3 sides to every story - Your lawyer, their lawyer, and forensics.

Comment

Terrible when things like this happen, rest in peace.
            "Praise the Lord and pass the Ammunition."

Comment

I hate it when people choose this way out. It's a shame he had to do it where his fellow officers are daily.

I at least hope this doesn't affect his pension benefits for the family he selfishly decided to leave behind. I could only imagine the pain they're going through. How sad.

Comment

So sad.....hits really close to home. Use to live close by and have a friend from high school who works for the department.

Comment

Permanent solution,to a temporary problem
                  Sleeping Giant. They're not fat and happy anymore. They are hungry and increasingly angry. That is not a good recipe for a "Puppies and Rainbows America".

Comment

Originally posted by mavriktu View Post
                    Permanent solution,to a temporary problem
                    Yep, it seems there was an issue with money, and he sentenced himself guilty and performed the execution...how very unlike Bernie Madoff.
                    Just pay your dues, and be quiet :-)

Comment

Rest In Peace....

Comment

Seems to be that he confirmed the charges. If so, I have zero sympathy for him.
                        Free Deke O'Mally!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jannino View Post
                          I hate it when people choose this way out. It's a shame he had to do it where his fellow officers are daily.

I at least hope this doesn't affect his pension benefits for the family he selfishly decided to leave behind. I could only imagine the pain they're going through. How sad.
                          I have to agree with you. It is very unfortunate to hear about this and I am always sad to hear about an officer death, but this guy obviously has some life experience and you would think he would realize that life gets tough sometimes, but you don't end your life over something like this.

I don't know, maybe there was more to it or something else going on, but shooting yourself in the middle of your station? Why would you do that to all of your fellow officers?

Comment

I have sympathy for him.

He may have ****ed up royally, but he was a cop for 28 years.

No one will convince me that he didn't do a LOT of good over those years.

If the charges are true, he stole cash, and yeah, no doubt about it: WRONG. But I refuse to turn my back on all of the good he must have accomplished due to something like that. Were he a pedophile my feelings would be different. But not for this.

-V

Comment

Originally posted by vincelli View Post
                              I have sympathy for him.

He may have ****ed up royally, but he was a cop for 28 years.

No one will convince me that he didn't do a LOT of good over those years.

If the charges are true, he stole cash, and yeah, no doubt about it: WRONG. But I refuse to turn my back on all of the good he must have accomplished due to something like that. Were he a pedophile my feelings would be different. But not for this.

-V
                              You just cannot ever "borrow" a $ that is not yours. It sounds simple, but SO many people entrusted with cash do not treat it as they should. You are right, disgraced, prosecuted, jailed, and alive would be far better then a self inflicted gunshot, and the impact on friends and family.

Bill
                              Just pay your dues, and be quiet :-)

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3185 users online. 195 members and 2990 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X