• Show
Clear All

• Al COPS
    replied
    body cameras?!?! I say BODY SHOTS!!!!

Leave a comment:

• BullCity_45
    replied
    A double-edged sword to say the least. But one way to combat the negative aspects of being required or "volun-told" to wear a camera is being smart about how you go about your daily responsibilities as a cop. Cameras will be part of the future in law enforcement so why not find a way to make them work for us? Many of us (to include I) see this as a method for admins to nail cops to the cross and strictly for liability purposes. The great thing about cameras is that they irrefutable. Many of the issues come after the fact when everyone else is Monday night quarterbacking the encounter. Here is where you use case law, statutes and whatever else necessary to supplement and articulate your course of action, again we need to think smart on how we conduct business. One thing administrations hate and cannot deny is written documentation that has been supported through the judicial system. Apply this added layer of protection to your case and you are as good as gold. Smart cops will use this to their advantage, it is just a matter of how.

Leave a comment:

• chrispereira30
    replied
    I am a Police Officer in England and we just received them a few weeks ago and they are an optional to use. You have to download them at the end of the shift to ensure continuity. We have been advised to use them as much as possible but it is not mandatory on every call. I believe they can be useful especially if you are sent to a DV call and the victim is apprehensive to provide a written statment at the time. You can show the state of the home if it shows a disturbance and the state of the victim.

Leave a comment:

• Ignite
    replied
    Well, I'm sure in due time the technology will advance to where these videos can be downloaded at a much quicker rate.

Leave a comment:

• LaPlaca
    replied
    When they start getting damaged in altercations, foot pursuits etc. Im thinking theyll go by the wayside as a dumb*** idea should. BUT, until then we can spend a 1 for 1 downloading useless crap onto hard drives instead of being on the street. Go on a domestic and spend an hour+ from front to back and then spend equal time staring at a computer downloading the event before returing to service.

Next hot call that comes out? well tough ****...Im downloading my video. for a 10 hour shift I see us actually spending 3-4 hours actually in the field, the rest of the time will be booking/reports/dowload car/body video...sweet. where else can I work 12 hours a week and get paid?

Leave a comment:

• Ignite
    replied
    ^lol. Good thing video isn't being monitored by people, in real time.

I heard Oakland, CA PD is using body cams now. Not sure if that's accurate or not.

Leave a comment:

• Dingo990
    replied
    Meh, they can be good for showing what really happened. They can be bad if a department wants to start nitpicking everything. I would support them if there are strong department policies against witch hunts.

As a side note, I am forgetful about turning off my camera and more than once I've finished a car stop, swung by the station, taken a leak, returned to my car and realized the camera was still rolling. I guess there will now be video to accompany :P

Leave a comment:

replied
    Not a big fan of cameras.

Leave a comment:

• Jiu-Jitsu Cop
    replied
    I think it is BS. If anyone has been through an IA having their acitions questioned then they would understand. I have seen agencies go after Officers and if you have hours of video to watch and second guess that is a problem.

Leave a comment:

• jannino
    replied
    Yep. I see them being on every officer in the next 20 years. I don't agree with them and don't think they're necessary, but with politicians running departments they are going to do everything possible that limits liability in their book.

Leave a comment:

• crass cop
    replied
    weve got a few and Ive used them...I will say the picture and sound quality are amazing..(VieVu cameras)..we got them on a grant. They clip to your shirt and are no larger than a pager

The only downfall, IMO, is they take a LONG time to download, however, I can see how they can save our *** if something goes wrong. Yes they can be used to substantiate a complaint or get me in trouble, but then again I shouldnt eff up...PLUS my dept knows that sometimes you need to "not be nice" during this job.

I too am a little sick of the "if its not on video then it didnt happen" BS...If my word is good enough to testify in court and I can be trusted with a badge and gun for 8 hours unleashed on the public, then how come you are even questioning me about what happened????!!!! I get it....I just think that with todays technology and the availability of it to LEOs, its almost "rare" when we dont have something recording us

Leave a comment:

• DACP
    replied
    We are testing them right now, I'm indifferent to them.

Leave a comment:

• HEDP
    replied
    Originally posted by stormz5192 View Post
    I remember when a cops word was considered credible evidence and their report was what happened.

Yep.

Now it's, "Where's the video?"

And if there isn't video, "The cops must have thrown it out and must be hiding something."

What happened to taking the Officers word over that of the suspect?

Also upper management wants officers to act like robots and handle calls without the human factor involved and that isn't possible. When they see this not happening, good officers will fall.

Leave a comment:

• HotSoup
    replied
    Originally posted by Ohio5-0 View Post
    They will be issued to every cop in the near future, I'm sure of it.
    I hope not but if so I'll have to bite a bullet and transfer to some crappy detective position.

Leave a comment:

• dontknowwhy
    replied
    Ohio, you are right. My chief and I were talking about it last week and both said it's the future.

We recently got some Scorpion cams and I was impressed with the daylight quality. The night time could use some improvement, but for the size, cost, and weight, it works well. Only half of us have them now and we use them at our discretion, though it is encouraged to use it on every call, esp our few traffic stops since we don't have car cams. Only real rule is you don't use it to record other officers in non-call settings (don't want someone trying to get someone else in trouble, per chief) and you save whatever you record to a secure file on the computer (you are the only one able to access your file)

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5409 users online. 317 members and 5092 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X