300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body cameras for officers

I know Seattle PD is testing the waters with them and I believe planning to phase them in for all officers to have (required). Are there any departments already mandating the use of cameras on their officers? What are your thoughts?

I can see upsides and downsides to having them. In a lot of ways, I think it will work to the officers' advantage in disproving a lot of B.S. complaints from the public.
    Last edited by Ignite; 04-20-2011, 04:29 PM.

Originally posted by Ignite View Post
    I know Seattle PD is testing the waters with them and I believe planning to phase them in for all officers to have (required). Are there any departments already mandating the use of cameras on their officers? What are your thoughts?

I can see upsides and downsides to having them. In a lot of ways, I think it will work to the officer's advantage in disproving a lot of B.S. complaints from the public.

I believe Apple Valley, MN PD is testing them too.

Are you an officer?

Some people need to be talked to in a certain way, and that way will get you in trouble. I think the cameras are a very bad idea.

People say, "They are in squad cars, they've helped officers!"

Well, that is a much more confined and standard (if you can use such a word) enviroment. They sit in their car, your write them a ticket, they go on their way.

Way different then walking into a domestic.

Comment

I'm not an officer (yet), and you're right. Like I said, there are pros/cons. I think it will definitely add even more paranoia for the officers who are already increasingly under more and more stress/pressure to be "perfect" by the standards of people who sit behind a desk and make/enforce policy but don't really understand or care about police work to begin with.
      Last edited by Ignite; 04-20-2011, 04:43 PM.

Comment

But, I'm sure the camera footage would only be reviewed if there were a need to do so... So whether that's bringing justice to a criminal or showing bad conduct/negligence on the officer's part, that seems to be a good thing. I'm kind of torn about it.

Comment

I know of 2 small rural places in MO that got grants for them and use them 100% of the time.....

One is doing it in lue of cameras in cars....the other place is using them along side their in car cameras....

Comment

Originally posted by HEDP View Post
            I believe Apple Valley, MN PD is testing them too.

Are you an officer?

Some people need to be talked to in a certain way, and that way will get you in trouble. I think the cameras are a very bad idea.

People say, "They are in squad cars, they've helped officers!"

Well, that is a much more confined and standard (if you can use such a word) enviroment. They sit in their car, your write them a ticket, they go on their way.

Way different then walking into a domestic.

Is AVPD? I know that Burnsville has them. Friends Dad is an investigator there and is glad he doesn't have to wear one.

Comment

This is the most ridiculous thing ive ever heard of in all they years Ive been in this profession. They want to put a camera on me? Put it in my boxers!!!!!
              "Lay there and bleed awhile before you feel some real pain."

"Have a cup of coffee, a pall mall, and relax!"

Comment

I remember when a cops word was considered credible evidence and their report was what happened.
                Being a good street cop is like coming to work in a wet suit and peeing in your pants. It's a nice warm feeling, but you're the only one who knows anything has happened.

Comment

Originally posted by stormz5192 View Post
                  I remember when a cops word was considered credible evidence and their report was what happened.
                  Few bad apples coupled with a generation of if I don't get my way your wrong. If you work for a department that realizes that some individuals we deal with need talking to differently than sweet ol'grandma then were good to go with them.

Of course then there is always court jurors who will view your video and expect you to treat someone trying to fight you by serving warm milk and cookies.

Comment

They will be issued to every cop in the near future, I'm sure of it.

Comment

Ohio, you are right. My chief and I were talking about it last week and both said it's the future.

We recently got some Scorpion cams and I was impressed with the daylight quality. The night time could use some improvement, but for the size, cost, and weight, it works well. Only half of us have them now and we use them at our discretion, though it is encouraged to use it on every call, esp our few traffic stops since we don't have car cams. Only real rule is you don't use it to record other officers in non-call settings (don't want someone trying to get someone else in trouble, per chief) and you save whatever you record to a secure file on the computer (you are the only one able to access your file)
                      Originally posted by Ceridwen
                      Just one would be stingy of me, I'd have to get two. For the children.

Comment

Originally posted by Ohio5-0 View Post
                        They will be issued to every cop in the near future, I'm sure of it.
                        I hope not but if so I'll have to bite a bullet and transfer to some crappy detective position.

Comment

Originally posted by stormz5192 View Post

Yep.

Now it's, "Where's the video?"

And if there isn't video, "The cops must have thrown it out and must be hiding something."

What happened to taking the Officers word over that of the suspect?

Also upper management wants officers to act like robots and handle calls without the human factor involved and that isn't possible. When they see this not happening, good officers will fall.

Comment

We are testing them right now, I'm indifferent to them.
                            It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.

Comment

weve got a few and Ive used them...I will say the picture and sound quality are amazing..(VieVu cameras)..we got them on a grant. They clip to your shirt and are no larger than a pager

The only downfall, IMO, is they take a LONG time to download, however, I can see how they can save our *** if something goes wrong. Yes they can be used to substantiate a complaint or get me in trouble, but then again I shouldnt eff up...PLUS my dept knows that sometimes you need to "not be nice" during this job.

I too am a little sick of the "if its not on video then it didnt happen" BS...If my word is good enough to testify in court and I can be trusted with a badge and gun for 8 hours unleashed on the public, then how come you are even questioning me about what happened????!!!! I get it....I just think that with todays technology and the availability of it to LEOs, its almost "rare" when we dont have something recording us
                              "I don't go on "I'maworthlesscumdumpster.com" and post negative **** about cum dumpsters."
                              The Tick

"Are you referring to the secret headquarters of a fictional crime fighter or penal complex slang for a-$$hole, anus or rectum?"
                              sanitizer

"and we all know you are a poser and a p*ssy.... "
                              Bearcat357 to Dinner Portion/buck8/long relief

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3199 users online. 195 members and 3004 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X