Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So please with the "they have a rough schedule". Not only are the paid well, night shift extra pay, and they rotate sleeping on the clock!
    Last edited by ryker; 03-29-2012, 08:03 AM.
    Any views or opinions presented by this prenomen are solely those of a burlesque author and do not necessarily represent those of a LEA or caementum couturier.

nom de plume

This is the internet- take all information with a grain of salt. Such could be valid and true or could be typed just for playing devils advocate.

Comment

Yes, cops work jacked up shifts also.

And cops will catch a quick nap on the job... maybe not intentionally, but I've walked by many officers typing up a report and watched them nod off for a minute or two.

Comment

Thank you ryker. It's not as if Air Traffic Controllers are the only ones who work crappy hours.

Edit: Dingo, while that is true, that doesn't make it acceptable. When you are at work you are being paid for your time/labor. That's the whole point of calling it 'work' and not 'naptime'. We all have our weak moments but that doesn't make it right.

Comment

Originally posted by MD11pilot View Post
          sat- off
          sun- off
          mon- 2:15pm-10:15pm
          tues- 1:00pm-9:00pm
          wed- 6:30am-2:30am
          thurs- 6:00am-2:00pm
          fri- 5:45am-1:45pm
          Sorry, but this is not a bad schedule at all. The only remote issue I find with it is the 9.5 hour turnaround. I routinely have done 8 hour turnarounds (off at 2200 and back in at 0600) at my job. And I work in neither of the fields. Now, alternating between overnight and daylight shift is a little tougher.

Comment

Originally posted by AK_Alex View Post
            Sorry, but this is not a bad schedule at all.
            No, that is an absolutely terrible schedule. Just because there are worse out there, doesn't mean it is good. I fail to see the logic in forcing employees to alter their sleep schedules several times a week.

Comment

Originally posted by Dingo990 View Post
              No, that is an absolutely terrible schedule. Just because there are worse out there, doesn't mean it is good. I fail to see the logic in forcing employees to alter their sleep schedules several times a week.
              There are FAR worse shift varieties to work. The schedule discussed above still allows you to sleep during semi-normal night hours every night. I do a similar schedule every week, but that is only because I would not be getting 40 hours a week otherwise. Necessity outweighs luxury. Besides, when you apply into a 24-hour business, you should expect to be working funky hours occasionally.
              Hey, there are people out there who love working overnights. Altering the sleep schedule would be having an employee do a 6a-2p shift one day, and a 10p-6a shift the following night.

Comment

When I'm travelling by air, I WANT the person in the tower to be well rested. EVERY decision they make HAS to be right, or people will die by the hundreds.

If they're one of the few who can hack that job and do it right day in/day out....then yeah, the high pay and ability to take naps at work are acceptable to me. As long as they keep things squared away.
                Yeah. That would go poorly. Like, on the Scale of Fail, somewhere between "Titanic" and "Chernobyl."
                --Squirrel

Comment

Let me just clarify my statements - yes, I would prefer the ATC's to not have an irregular schedule. This is the job where attention is key. So yes, ATC specific, the schedule in the example is not too great.

Comment

ryker you are full of ****. You don't know what you are talking about. Shut the **** up already! To the rest of you, they work rotating shifts, they never get a set schedule to adapt to. If you fall asleep, you won't kill up to 500 people, you might kill yourself. Get over it! They have a tougher job than you do, don't equate LE as the same. It isn't.

ryker: STFU. Got it? Good. Thus endeth the lesson.
                    Free Deke O'Mally!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat357 View Post
                      English.....at all airports around the world.....
                      It's recent:

"The International Civil Aviation Organisation has decreed that from 1 January 2008 all Air Traffic Controllers and Flight Crew Members engaged in or in contact with international flights must be proficient in the English language as a general spoken medium and not simply have a proficiency in standard ICAO Radio Telephony Phraseology."

It doesn't mean that all ATC speak English all the time, as they can still use one of the few ICAO language (English, Chinese, Russian, French, Arabic and Spanish). However, for international flight they should be able to speak English in addition to the local ICAO language.

Comment

Originally posted by patrick_leo View Post
                        It's recent:

"The International Civil Aviation Organisation has decreed that from 1 January 2008 all Air Traffic Controllers and Flight Crew Members engaged in or in contact with international flights must be proficient in the English language as a general spoken medium and not simply have a proficiency in standard ICAO Radio Telephony Phraseology."

It doesn't mean that all ATC speak English all the time, as they can still use one of the few ICAO language (English, Chinese, Russian, French, Arabic and Spanish). However, for international flight they should be able to speak English in addition to the local ICAO language.
                        Just going on what the AF pilots told me as they were landing. These guys had landed all over the world at civilian/military air fields for years and said that everyone had always talked to them in English......

Comment

Ryker, you sound a lot like the non-LEO tools that come on here and think they know LEO jobs better than those actually doing them. Perhaps you should walk a mile in their shoes...

People on overnights in our com center routinely take naps. They even have a nap room for that very purpose. They work an effed up schedule of 0700 - 1700 for two days followed by 1700 - 0700 for two days then off for 4 days. How's that for killing your normal sleep patterns? The point is there is NEVER a single person working like the ATC's are/do. Good lord, what if they have to drop the kids off at the pool?
                          "I think it takes a particular coward to criticize procedures that you don't understand; particularly when they apply to places that you don't have the bravery to go" - Battalion Chief John Sullivan, FDNY

"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch!" - Rev1

"If you reload like old people [email protected], then you need to be behind something that stops bullets." - Blackdog F4i

IGNORE = since9, justme001, opencarry, bsd13, asullivan, okjoe, Patrick Sander, CJ616

Comment

To answer the question, all pilots that fly internationally must prove they are able to speak and read English. There is an endorsement on the back of our Pilot Certificates. It is also a requirement that Air Traffic Controllers around the world "Speak English" as well, but...

In reality, the language skills of many foreign controllers is adequate, but not that great. Thick accents can make it difficult to understand clearances, so pilots have to be careful to clarify anything they do not understand. The real problem is that overseas, most local pilots will use their own language with their controllers, so I do not have as good an idea of what those pilots are doing in the airspace we share... It's kinda like listening in on another Agency that uses different 10 codes and signals (than your own), it makes it hard to follow along with what others are doing.

The really fun part is when you are trying to communicate with a foreign controller over HF radio. Some days the amount of background static and other radio traffic can make it a real challenge to communicate. But we fly a specific route at a given altitude, and at a given speed so that we can maintain vertical and horizontal separation from the other aircraft flying over the ocean or over remote parts of the world(even without constant ATC supervision).

If you have other pilot/flying questions, feel free to PM me
                            Last edited by celticpilot; 04-19-2011, 10:01 PM.
                            -"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children will have peace." - Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Exodus259
                              OK, I'll gladly make 100K a year to stare at a computer screen and help planes land.
                              ^This^
                              Originally posted by willowdared View Post
                              I've stayed at a Holiday Inn Express
                              ^and this^
                              Originally posted by District B 13 View Post
                              ryker you are full of ****. You don't know what you are talking about. Shut the **** up already! To the rest of you, they work rotating shifts, they never get a set schedule to adapt to. If you fall asleep, you won't kill up to 500 people, you might kill yourself. Get over it! They have a tougher job than you do, don't equate LE as the same. It isn't.

ryker: STFU. Got it? Good. Thus endeth the lesson.
                              Take a deep breath, reach around to your backside, and pull the panties out of your axx. Geese dude.

I was going to make a crack about they just need to position themselves to the headlights shine in their face and wake them up, then I saw how much they get paid. They need to nut it up, and use some of that $ to buy redbull. I understand the rotating schedule sucks, but if they can't adapt, then they need to find themselves a regular 9-5.
                              I yell "PIKACHU" before I tase someone.

Comment

I've done the controller thing, the pilot thing, and now the police thing for the past several years.

ATC was certainly more stressful than police work for me. Whoever stated that it was just "looking at a computer screen and helping planes land" was being overly simplistic and way off base.

In any job where you have to work all night, be it ATC, police work, whatever, some folks are going to have a hard time staying awake. Being up all night isn't normal and your body doesn't like it.

The best thing the FAA could do is close some of these towers from, say, 12:00 am to 6:00 am (that's how it was where I worked). Some of these towers are staying open all night and just working a handful of departures or arrivals during these hours. It would be ROUGH trying to stay awake for that.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3198 users online. 153 members and 3045 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X