Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If ATC employee is relocated to a different tower any time over a two year they can take 64hrs off.

Excused Absences (Article 29)
    Several circumstances exist where employees are either entitled to, or may be granted, excused absences from work at no loss of pay or charges to accrued leave.* The most common examples would be for brief tardiness, whole blood or platelet donations, and for activities associated with a permanent change of duty station.*
    The entitlement for excused absences for relocation of duty station applies to all transfers, including initial assignment after completion of the FAA Academy.* The number of hours, up to sixty-four, is determined by the employee.* Employees may choose to utilize this requirement at any point within two years of the relocation.* For instance, an employee can report to their new facility on the effective date of the transfer, and then return to their prior geographical area three months later to pack up their belongings and transfer them to the new location.

Now that's a union! 9 extra days off!

This is in addition to 10 days house hunting.

Section 4. House-hunting trips, not to exceed ten (10) calendar days, shall be authorized when the distance between the old and new official duty stations is at least seventy-five (75) miles.

Section 5. Employees will be reimbursed for subsistence costs while occupying temporary quarters for a period of up to sixty (60) days. Any time expended in a house-hunting trip is included in the initial sixty (60) day period. Temporary quarters authorizations shall be extended in thirty (30) day increments for compelling reasons in accordance with the FTR. Such reimbursement applies to moves within the United States, its territories and possessions, and the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico.
    Last edited by ryker; 04-19-2011, 04:02 PM.
    Any views or opinions presented by this prenomen are solely those of a burlesque author and do not necessarily represent those of a LEA or caementum couturier.

nom de plume

This is the internet- take all information with a grain of salt. Such could be valid and true or could be typed just for playing devils advocate.

Comment

Reinstates the 2003 Contract language regarding the responsibility of supervisors in ensuring that employees do not exceed 2 hours on position without a break away from the operational area.
      “Requests for an employee leaving the facility for short periods of time shall not be unreasonably denied.”
      Any views or opinions presented by this prenomen are solely those of a burlesque author and do not necessarily represent those of a LEA or caementum couturier.

nom de plume

This is the internet- take all information with a grain of salt. Such could be valid and true or could be typed just for playing devils advocate.

Comment

Air Traffic Controllers also have careers that are shorter than regular employees, a fact confirmed by the Director of the U.S. Office of Personnel Management, Kay Cole James. Therefore, they have fewer years of employment to provide their families with financial security.
        The very same argument could be used for dozens of low paid jobs including LE.

nom de plume

Comment

Originally posted by ryker View Post
          Reinstates the 2003 Contract language regarding the responsibility of supervisors in ensuring that employees do not exceed 2 hours on position without a break away from the operational area.
          “Requests for an employee leaving the facility for short periods of time shall not be unreasonably denied.”
          I guess it's kind of like being a police officer. Until one does it they can't really know how hard it may or may not be. I did some AIC training in the Navy in addition to "Red Crown" duties and it could be plenty stressful. Nothing compared to what civilians ATC's would deal with on a daily basis.
          He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High
          shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.
          - Psalm 91:1

On Ignore - A few folks.

Comment

I can't get too mad at the air traffic controllers.

I'm on midnights right now, lemme tell you at 3am when nothing is going on, it is a struggle to stay awake even if I had a solid 8 hours of sleep. I have the advantage of being able to do a building check, finding a car to stop, ect to keep me awake. If I had to sit in front of a few computer screens like an atc, you better believe I'd be sleeping also.

Yes, loads of people might be in line to take the sweet ATC gigs, but I highly doubt they would be any better at staying awake.

Comment

The majority of the time, it takes dozens of Air Traffic Controllers on duty to handle a busy airport. But even places like O'Hare slow down in the middle of the evening. But just because one controller can handle the small workload during slow periods does not mean that the overall job is easy... Many Airports do not even have 24hr ATC service, pilots just fly in and land on our own. But that same airport can get real busy, and the air traffic difficult to sequence and coordinate during the daytime.

I doubt I am going to convince you that Air Traffic Controllers have a difficult job, but that;s ok. Many ATC personnel probably erroneously think the same thing about your job and pay so it all evens out in the long run...

Be safe.

CP
              -"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children will have peace." - Thomas Paine

Comment

My take....I've partied with some of the DCA Controlers in DC at a certain sports pub I use to go to/go to when I am in the area....... And even got tower access for a tour of the place..... and I know the ones in trouble as luck would have it.....

Most of them drink way to much, party like rock stars when they are off, and its no wonder they are in this mess now. To me, it's about personal responsibility.

Just like when I worked Mids....I knew how much sleep I had to get, that I needed to stay up on my off-nights to regulate my body, and that I needed to do some busy work to stay aware of my surroundings when I was working........

One would only think that someone as smart/educated as they seem to be, they would get this concept.....but a few of them don't......

Thank God nothing tragic has happened and that pilots are trained to land on airfields without ATC assistance.......

Comment

You try to develop a regular sleeping schedule with their bizarre schedules, here is an example below. ATC is one of the most stressful jobs in the world since you have up to 1,000 lives in your hands depending on how many tin cans your are directing up there, one mistake and hundreds can die and even more if the wreck of two or more jets falls onto a large city.

sat- off
                  sun- off
                  mon- 2:15pm-10:15pm
                  tues- 1:00pm-9:00pm
                  wed- 6:30am-2:30am
                  thurs- 6:00am-2:00pm
                  fri- 5:45am-1:45pm

If the pilot screws up, the pilot dies. If the controller screws up, the pilot dies.
                  Last edited by MD11pilot; 04-19-2011, 04:53 PM.
                  Life is what you make of it

Comment

MD11 I've wanted to ask this question to you for a while but never had the chance. Must all pilots flying into the United States be able to communicate with the control tower in English?

Comment

Seriously ruler, is there anyone you don't take issue with? Teachers first, now this? You need to go somewhere where you can make some more money and be happier.
                      For the cops out there: You are an adult. If you want to write someone, write them. If you don't want to write someone, then don't write them.

"Jeff, you are the best cop on this board"-Anonymous Post

Comment

Originally posted by JD_TO View Post
                        MD11 I've wanted to ask this question to you for a while but never had the chance. Must all pilots flying into the United States be able to communicate with the control tower in English?
                        If I'm not mistaken, English is the universal language for pilots and ATC's.

Comment

Originally posted by MD11pilot View Post
                          sat- off
                          sun- off
                          I, along with most of the LEOs on here, have worked jacked up schedules like that before......

And if we screw up......guess what...? Lots of lives (including ours and our partners) can be lost as well.......

Comment

Originally posted by MD11pilot View Post
                            You try to develop a regular sleeping schedule with their bizarre schedules, here is an example below. ATC is one of the most stressful jobs in the world since you have up to 1,000 lives in your hands depending on how many tin cans your are directing up there, one mistake and hundreds can die and even more if the wreck of two or more jets falls onto a large city.

sat- off
                            sun- off

If the pilot screws up, the pilot dies. If the controller screws up, the pilot dies.
                            That's my thought, also. They should have standardized shifts that they can adapt to. A schedule like you list above is going to cause sleep problems, period. This is a system problem, not a few bad apples.

Comment

Originally posted by JJHunsacker View Post
                              If I'm not mistaken, English is the universal language for pilots and ATC's.
                              Thanks I was having dinner by the airport and watched an Air France followed by an Air Italia plane land and couldn't stop thinking how the hell the communicated.

Comment

Originally posted by JD_TO View Post
                                Thanks I was having dinner by the airport and watched an Air France followed by an Air Italia plane land and couldn't stop thinking how the hell the communicated.
                                English.....at all airports around the world.....

I rode 3rd Seat on a C-17 landing in Japan at a Civilian Airport....and they spoke to the pilot in English and asked that same questions.........

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5752 users online. 340 members and 5412 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X