X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Night shifts - air traffic control

aksdjlngfpiojncv
    Last edited by ryker; 03-29-2012, 07:01 AM. Reason: deleted
    Any views or opinions presented by this prenomen are solely those of a burlesque author and do not necessarily represent those of a LEA or caementum couturier.

nom de plume

This is the internet- take all information with a grain of salt. Such could be valid and true or could be typed just for playing devils advocate.

"Much more common is taking a nap on purpose, they said. On midnight shifts, one controller will work two positions while the other one sleeps and then they switch off, controllers said. The unsanctioned arrangements sometimes allow controllers to sleep as much as three hours or four hours out of an eight-hour shift, they said."
    Any views or opinions presented by this prenomen are solely those of a burlesque author and do not necessarily represent those of a LEA or caementum couturier.

nom de plume

This is the internet- take all information with a grain of salt. Such could be valid and true or could be typed just for playing devils advocate.

Comment

They also recommended that controllers be allowed to sleep during the 20- to 30-minute breaks they receive every few hours during day shifts.

Instead, the FAA's new rules will give controllers at least nine hours off between shifts, compared with eight now. That also was recommended by the working group, but a summary of their report notes the extra hour will likely result in only a "slight improvement" on midnight shifts.

nom de plume

Comment

So in review these employees who earn $100,000.00 year with a sweet retirement have been sleeping about 1/2 of there shifts. They now want scheduled sleep breaks?
        Last edited by ryker; 03-29-2012, 07:02 AM.

nom de plume

Comment

Originally posted by ryker View Post
          So in review these employees who earn $100,000.00 year with a sweet retirement have been sleeping about 1/2 of there shifts. They now want scheduled sleep breaks?

Our dispatchers make less than 25k a year with no pension. They don't get any scheduled breaks nor allowed to Leave to get food. They are never allowed to sleep at night shift.

These overpaid ****** sleep on the job and now want sleep breaks? WTH.

A LEO isn't scheduled any breaks, never allowed to sleep. Veryvery often has court the next day and can't follow a sleep schedule. Has to get his car services etc.
          So, what you are saying, is your dispatchers are way under paid and treated like crap.

Here's the full article, along with the training and qualifications for what is considered one of the most stressful jobs.

http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos108.htm
          Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

sigpic

Comment

Maybe those who think the job of ATC is so cake should go sit a month or two of overnight watches.
            He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High
            shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.
            - Psalm 91:1

On Ignore - A few folks.

Comment

It's hard to get your body to adjust to changing shifts all the time. As a CO who does just that, I totally sympathize, however I am not excusing their actions, just like I don't approve of my coworkers who sleep on the job during morning watch.
              What is Perseverance?
              -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
              -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
              -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

How stressful can a job be, when you can do your job and your buddies job while he naps?
                Last edited by ryker; 03-29-2012, 07:02 AM.

nom de plume

Comment

The solution is simple. Change the rules to allow for enough sleep/rest.

When I was in the navy our ops boss had the brilliant idea to try 4 on 4 off shifts. After 6 weeks in the middle of a westpac the CO figured out his CIC was mostly non-functional and stepped in to change the rule. Don't see why someone won't do that in this case. Instead they'd rather gnash their teeth and fire a few people as tokens of their concern.

On Ignore - A few folks.

Comment

Originally posted by ryker View Post

I've worked at an airfield-....
                    I've stayed at a Holiday Inn Express
                    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

sigpic

Comment

While I agree with you that LEO's, Dispatchers and Communications Officers deserve better pay and work rules, I think you are way off base with your assertion that ATC is a cushy job.

Most of there job is unseen as it is accomplished inside their heads, while they juggle multiple aircraft inbound and outbound from different directions (and at the same time as working the radio, radar, and computer). One moments inattention or error could lead to hundreds of fatalities... No stress involved there, right...?

I can tell you that we have the best Air Traffic Controllers in the World, and I for one would prefer to keep it that way. If it takes high pay and bennies to attract and keep the right kind of people for that job, then so be it.

Trust me on this one, I've worked at a lot more airfields than you.
                      -"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children will have peace." - Thomas Paine

Comment

What kind of shifts do they work? Just curious.

If they're already given 20 or 30 minute breaks throughout the day, I don't see the issue in them taking a nap during that time. It's their break, they should be able to do whatever they want on it.

As for breaks themselves, of course they need occasional breaks. They recommend you take a break every so often from video games for God's sake... Only difference is what they are doing is less of a game.
                        When passenger of foot heave in sight, tootle the horn. Trumpet him melodiously at first, but if he still obstacles your passage then tootle him with vigor.

Comment

Originally posted by Exodus259
                          OK, I'll gladly make 100K a year to stare at a computer screen and help planes land.
                          So I take that to mean you're looking for a job as an ATC, correct?

On Ignore - A few folks.

Comment

Again - just how hard can the job duty be when it's now clear that one atc can perform the duties of his buddy who is sleeping?

Loads of people would glady work and stay awake for $100,000.00 a year along with 20yr retirements!

Amazing that we attacked teachers in Wis yet allow union ATC to sleep on the 100,000.00 job.

nom de plume

Comment

Employees will earn Sunday premium pay at an additional rate of 25% of their hourly rate of basic pay for all hours actually worked on Sunday. Unless otherwise provided for in this Agreement, all employees will earn night differential at an additional rate of 10% of their hourly rate of basic pay for all hours actually worked between 6 p.m. and 6 a.m. *
                              Last edited by ryker; 04-19-2011, 03:08 PM.

nom de plume

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5166 users online. 311 members and 4855 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X