300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the problem with "Cop Shows"

Doing all my time in LAPD, after I was out, the last thing I wanted to do was watch Cop Shows. Maybe some can relate. But lately, so many of these shows have come out, and I thought, How bad can some of these be? Well, bad. I came on in early 1981, and that's a long time. But have that many changes occurred over the years? Just a safety tip for anyone who writes these things or advises. 1. We never, ever give up our gun, ever. (remember the Onion Field?) 2. When was the last time we were taught to hold our weapons up toward our face, never? I know, I was told by a writter working an off duty gig that that was to put the gun and face into the frame, but jeez.
    TV has gotten worse, but I know it rubs off. Does anyone hear know of a good show that does a goos job in showing tactics? Just my thoughts, and be safe.

So you never use Horatio Cain's "Israeli Slide Sniffer Sidle" when clearing a house ?
    Just pay your dues, and be quiet :-)

Comment

Originally posted by stevevall View Post
      doing all my time in lapd, after i was out, the last thing i wanted to do was watch cop shows. Maybe some can relate. But lately, so many of these shows have come out, and i thought, how bad can some of these be? Well, bad. I came on in early 1981, and that's a long time. But have that many changes occurred over the years? Just a safety tip for anyone who writes these things or advises. 1. We never, ever give up our gun, ever. (remember the onion field?) 2. When was the last time we were taught to hold our weapons up toward our face, never? I know, i was told by a writter working an off duty gig that that was to put the gun and face into the frame, but jeez.
      Tv has gotten worse, but i know it rubs off. Does anyone hear know of a good show that does a goos job in showing tactics? Just my thoughts, and be safe.
      nope!

Comment

TJ Hooker?

Comment

Criminal Minds is the worse. I watched 1/2 an episode an these guys had a whole scene figured out as soon as they walked in. I told my wife if this was real life the cops would be standing there (possibly w/coffee) saying WTF does that make any sense?? This show rates up there w/cop rock. Oh yeh and if I see one more NCIS show on TV Im going to commit a homocide.
          "Lay there and bleed awhile before you feel some real pain."

"Have a cup of coffee, a pall mall, and relax!"

Comment

I enjoy the real life shows. Not so much for the tactics but for the different procedures.

Example: big cities call the subject as sex then race. Verse what we do in my area race then sex. Idk what or why the difference.

Also I get to see cases that aren't typical in my area.
            Any views or opinions presented by this prenomen are solely those of a burlesque author and do not necessarily represent those of a LEA or caementum couturier.

nom de plume

This is the internet- take all information with a grain of salt. Such could be valid and true or could be typed just for playing devils advocate.

Comment

Originally posted by ryker View Post
              I enjoy the real life shows. Not so much for the tactics but for the different procedures.

Example: big cities call the subject as sex then race. Verse what we do in my area race then sex. Idk what or why the difference.

Also I get to see cases that aren't typical in my area.
              Even them shows are staged from time to time, are re-enactments and or overly dramatized in the process.

Comment

the only "cop show" I watch on a regular basis is the First 48.....

Comment

What about The Shield? Maybe that was more of a training video.

Comment

I like watching shows like cops as a "what not to do" mini-training episode for myself. It helps me (and you) become better at what we do when we can not only identify the good, but also the bad.

Comment

Wire (great show I have been told by man Officer's) Still waiting on Netflix
                      MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Comment

I think I can relate. Any show that uses technology as a plot device usually gets something wrong or they use non-existent technology to move the plot along. That's why I stopped watching CSI. CSI used non-existent technology as a plot device too many times.

On the "reality" side I like to watch Police Women of Wherever. Some episodes they use way too many filler and reenactment shots. There was one recent episode where an entire segment was a reenactment. They kept showing this officer running down allies toward the camera and then the camera swings and shows her going around the corner. Then the last shot of the chase just shows her slapping the cuffs on the suspect. At no time did they ever show the suspect during the chase or being caught. So you know that it was a slow day for her so other officers called her to come down to get a shot of her putting on the cuffs.

Campus PD is another one that I like. It really shows what a-holes college kids can be when they're drunk! I always watch these shows knowing that it is not a true slice of life of a police officer but it shows some truth of the job from time to time.

I think COPS shows the least amount of non-real shots. I don't think they do reenactments they just do some filler shots here and there.

Comment

I hate how every scene in COPS always ends with the guys standing around bs'ing about the incident...and their conversation always sounds like a court room testimony.
                          When passenger of foot heave in sight, tootle the horn. Trumpet him melodiously at first, but if he still obstacles your passage then tootle him with vigor.

Comment

Cops is the most awesome show ever created. And Jailhouse is also one of the best as these two shows look the best. The rest look made up.

I knew Cops was real when you could hear the fat camera man running out of breath on chases. And I remember when COPS was responding to a home invasion. They got to the house and people were running out and shots were going off. The camera man ran into the house behind the cop and then he went into another room. One of the invaders was half in the window and half out of it, hanging on a bed. The homeowner had gotten off a couple of shots from a .44 while one of the perps was coming in a window. I will never forget the look on the perp's face while he was obviously dying right there. That convinced me that COPS was real..

And the first 48 is also a good show....they can cancel the rest of them..

Comment

Just curious, but is it really that important for these shows to portray reality? I doubt there is anyone out there who honestly believes CSI (or any of the rest of it) is an accurate depiction of real life law enforcement work. After all television is meant for entertainment and it is common knowledge that a great deal of artistic license is involved.
                              He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High
                              shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.
                              - Psalm 91:1

On Ignore - A few folks.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6080 users online. 315 members and 5765 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X