• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 400 NY Police Officers could be charged

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/04/18...est=latestnews

400 New York Police Officers Could Face Charges in Ticket-Fixing Scheme

Published April 18, 2011

| New York Post

As many as 400 cops could face disciplinary charges for fixing tickets in a widening corruption scandal, The New York Post has learned.

Two NYPD lawyers were recently transferred from the department's legal bureau to its advocate's office, which handles departmental trials against officers, and told to expect hundreds of cases, according to a source in the unit.

"This is huge," said the source. "That's a lot of cops all in one shot. I've never heard of something like that before, this many police officers charged in one period."

"It was a systemic thing," said another source familiar with the probe.

The department will charge cops internally in all 12 Bronx precincts -- and possibly other boroughs -- for allegedly helping out friends and family by "losing" paperwork and missing court dates. In turn, parking tickets, moving violations and quality-of-life summonses would be dismissed in court or vanish before ever getting near a judge.

Officers found guilty in department trials could get fired, lose benefits, or be reprimanded or warned.

Those who tampered with documents might face criminal charges of obstruction or filing a false instrument, while cops who took money could be hit with felonies such as bribery.

The NYPD lawyers plan to go after union delegates and fixers most aggressively, some of whom some could face criminal charges as well, the source said. Officers who simply sought favors from the fixers would likely get lighter punishment.

A Bronx grand jury is separately weighing criminal charges against about 40 cops accused of taking bribes to make the violations go away.

Must be a different world up there.
    Any views or opinions presented by this prenomen are solely those of a burlesque author and do not necessarily represent those of a LEA or caementum couturier.

nom de plume

This is the internet- take all information with a grain of salt. Such could be valid and true or could be typed just for playing devils advocate.

Comment

That's crazy. If the ticketing officer has no problem with it then I don't see what the big deal is.

I've received tickets before, called a buddy, he called the officer and they pulled it before it made to be filed. Nothing illegal or against policy about it for that department. It's all discretion. I didn't expect it, but it was definitely appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by jannino View Post
        That's crazy. If the ticketing officer has no problem with it then I don't see what the big deal is.

I've received tickets before, called a buddy, he called the officer and they pulled it before it made to be filed. Nothing illegal or against policy about it for that department. It's all discretion. I didn't expect it, but it was definitely appreciated.

Just asking to have a friend from a different department is against policy for some departments.

I know an officer got fired for that once, he was a different department though. I don't think it should be illegal though.

Comment

Originally posted by HEDP View Post
          Just asking to have a friend from a different department is against policy for some departments.

I know an officer got fired for that once, he was a different department though. I don't think it should be illegal though.

Same department. Different zones and shifts. They knew each other. It was handled before the end of the guy's shift.

Ticket 'fixing' is a completely different thing.

Comment

Same department. Different zones and shifts. They knew each other. It was handled before the end of the guy's shift.

IMO that is ticket fixing. But if the initial LEO had no problem with it the oh well good for you. I issued some one a ticket before who called several people in the department and at least one person in the SO "asking" me if I would nolo or void the ticket. I was starting to get ****ed about the phone calls and BS.
            The supervisor from the SO called our dispatcher, who called me on the radio while I was working traffic to call him. Thinking it may be important I immediately called him wanting to help... only to get asked, again, to fix the ticket for their friend. I said "no" and was getting more ****ed.
            Finally every one stopped asking. Then the day of the court case I picked up a copy of the court docket to discover the ticket I issued had been nolo prose. WTF! I then learned the subject and the SO supervisor went to court the previous week, when I was off and asked the judge to nolo the ticket with out my knowledge.
            If I went through the trouble to write a ticket in the first place, it was because I thought it was necessary. There had been times when I gave the violator the option of fixing the problem (e.g. insurance card, registration renewal etc), come to court with proof of fixing the issue and I would then ask the judge to nolo the citation.

Comment

Originally posted by westside popo View Post
              IMO that is ticket fixing. But if the initial LEO had no problem with it the oh well good for you. I issued some one a ticket before who called several people in the department and at least one person in the SO "asking" me if I would nolo or void the ticket. I was starting to get ****ed about the phone calls and BS.
              The supervisor from the SO called our dispatcher, who called me on the radio while I was working traffic to call him. Thinking it may be important I immediately called him wanting to help... only to get asked, again, to fix the ticket for their friend. I said "no" and was getting more ****ed.
              Finally every one stopped asking. Then the day of the court case I picked up a copy of the court docket to discover the ticket I issued had been nolo prose. WTF! I then learned the subject and the SO supervisor went to court the previous week, when I was off and asked the judge to nolo the ticket with out my knowledge.
              If I went through the trouble to write a ticket in the first place, it was because I thought it was necessary. There had been times when I gave the violator the option of fixing the problem (e.g. insurance card, registration renewal etc), come to court with proof of fixing the issue and I would then ask the judge to nolo the citation.
              It was a window tint violation. I didn't name drop when pulled over or else I probably wouldn't have received it to begin with. The ticketing officer and the officer I knew were friends.

How it was explained to me is that tickets are allowed to be voided before they hit the station mostly to allow officers discretion regarding the fix it type of ticket.

The ticket was never issued. Nothing was given in exchange for this.

I understand what you're talking about and could see how it could put the ticketing officer in an awkward position.

Comment

That's not discretion, that's corruption. The officer exercised his discretion when he chose to write the ticket. He chose to undo it only after getting a call from a "buddy".

"Jerry, just remember, it’s not a lie if you believe it". George Constanza.

Comment

I give you a ticket. you ran a red light.

You are a friend of Sgt. Stadanko . The good Sgt. is my boss. He tells me of your friendship and knows I'm interested in maintaining a good relationship with him. Ya know, if you don't show up for court for this, they will toss the ticket out.

lo and behold i have a ton of paperwork to do and cannot make it to the courthouse. your ticket is dismissed.

Was there a crime committed?

I issue you a ticket for a red light. You see me on the street and in a non threatening way identify yourself. You just happen to have tickets to ( insert event here). You cannot go to this event and rather than sell the tickets you want me to have them. You would appreciate that if I did remember to come to court to forget the entire incident or tell the judge the ticket might be wrong.
                  Was a crime committed? You betcha

It's one thing for me to tell the judge I don't want to prosecute this due to new evidence. It's another to get some benefit to do that.

For the record, every cop has or will have a case pleaded down . You ran the red light. you ask me if I can do anything for you. I tell you to plead guilty to failure to obey noise level or some BS charge with no points and pay the same fine. You agree to do that. You do not pay me or offer me anything to do that.
                  was a crime committed?

Comment

The only reason this is even a concern is revenue. Unlike other parts of the civilized world, NYC does not really look upon traffic or parking tickets as a sfety or law enforcement issue. The City only worries about how much revenue they are losing and the Cops know that..

Comment

Originally posted by Ex Army MP View Post
                      That's not discretion, that's corruption. The officer exercised his discretion when he chose to write the ticket. He chose to undo it only after getting a call from a "buddy".
                      I agree its not discretion, but its also not corruption. Stealing dope and money from gang bangers is corruption. Skipping court on a speeding citation once in a while is far from it..
                      It takes a Wolf.......

Comment

wow...just un****ingbelievable! You don't see anything wrong with writing a ticket, then "losing" it? I'm sure you would also accept a gratuity if it was offered. Your ethics are questionable. If you wrote it, it needed to be written. Doesn't matter who comes up to you later and tells you to dump it. Corruption is just one easy step away from that...

Fukin' shame.
                        Free Deke O'Mally!!!

Comment

a cunundrum: Some of the best protected neighborhoods in NYC in the 50's were patrolled by Cops on the local numbers runner's pad.

Comment

Originally posted by Ex Army MP View Post
                            Originally posted by District B 13 View Post
                            wow...just un****ingbelievable! You don't see anything wrong with writing a ticket, then "losing" it? I'm sure you would also accept a gratuity if it was offered. Your ethics are questionable. If you wrote it, it needed to be written. Doesn't matter who comes up to you later and tells you to dump it. Corruption is just one easy step away from that...

Fukin' shame.
                            +1

Are you serious? You didn't expect it? Then why call?

Here's an idea... if you get a ticket, own your mistake and suck it up. I would be willing to bet you gripe and moan about politicians doing stuff like this.

Comment

Originally posted by District B 13 View Post

Fukin' shame.
                              Its a parking ticket IAB relax..
                              It takes a Wolf.......

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5555 users online. 329 members and 5226 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X