Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Aerohead View Post
    My take:

I saw a bunch of signs on my way down to Georgia this past weekend that it was State Law (either Tennessee, Kentucky, or Georgia) that slower traffic must stay in the right lane(s) and to stay in the right lane unless you're passing...maybe he was on the way to a call and he didn't have the time to perform a traffic stop to advise the driver of that law in New Jersey (if New Jersey has the same laws)?? Would probably be better to post this question in "Ask A Cop" or in the "New Jersey" forum for information regarding the laws in New Jersey...

OR - seeing as how it looked like he fully intended on performing the traffic stop until the last second and was behind the vehicle long enough to run the plate and RO - perhaps he was going to perform a traffic stop and a call came out and he decided whatever the reason for the traffic stop was of less importance than what the call was for and/or someone called for back up on another stop...

Either way - things look a lot different when you actually have a logical explanation and you're not just some moron with a video camera - which there are far too many of these days...
    In Kentucky it is illegal to hold the left lane on a multi-lane highway.
    I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it

"But the bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet
    it" - Thucydides

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sp23 View Post
      In Kentucky it is illegal to hold the left lane on a multi-lane highway.
      Thanks! I knew I saw it posted in one of those states...
      Originally posted by RSGSRT
      We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
      Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

In VA, the signs say "Slower Traffic Keep Right" -- but that is a subjective term. Besides, nobody considers themselves to be 'slower' traffic; especially those who are the problem in the first place. Doh!

PA has signs on the PA Turnpike that say, "KEEP RIGHT - PASS LEFT! IT'S THE LAW." Now that is a bit less subtle, but probably more effective.

Props to the NJ trooper anyway! Glad to see that he got a slowpoke out of the way. Unfortunately, that dolt in the Civic probably got back into the left-hand lane once the police car was out of sight. Very seldom do those kinds of drivers ever realize that they are often some of the most dangerous and inconsiderate folks on the highway.
        Last edited by VA Dutch; 04-18-2011, 09:25 AM.

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

I have noticed that at say noon you could drive clear across PA and remain in cruise control, due to fewer if any left lane bandits.

Bill
          Just pay your dues, and be quiet :-)

Comment

Originally posted by benseventeen View Post
            I think it gets muddled with the phrase "slow traffic keep right" which doesn't make sense as a law because by definition the speed limit is not considered "slow". So someone could go 55 in a 55 in the left lane for miles and not break the law, but still congest traffic if there are speeders, which there are. So I guess I am in favor of a law that says the left lane is for passing only, but not in favor of a more vague law that says slow traffic must keep right because for a lot of people the speed limit is slow. But maybe the "slow traffic keep right" is just a perception of the law. I don't know.
            The law in NY is slowER traffic keep right. So if you are in the left lane doing the speed limit, and someone comes up behind you moving faster, they are breaking the law (speed limit), but if you do not move out of the lane, you are breaking the law as well (slower traffic keep right).

We do get the left lane vigilante's that don't seem to get that concept and feel that if they are doing exactly the speed limit, they do not have to move over.
            “Every society gets the kind of criminal it deserves. What is equally true is that every community gets the kind of law enforcement it insists on.” - Robert F. Kennedy.

Comment

asdfjkhciuhbn
              Last edited by ryker; 03-29-2012, 07:09 AM.
              Any views or opinions presented by this prenomen are solely those of a burlesque author and do not necessarily represent those of a LEA or caementum couturier.

nom de plume

This is the internet- take all information with a grain of salt. Such could be valid and true or could be typed just for playing devils advocate.

Comment

Originally posted by ryker View Post
                Recent ga case law says the tax paying legal safe driver has the full right to use the right lane, if they travel at the exact legal speed limit. They do not have to yield to congested right lanes so speeders can have a clear open autobahn.

It's crazy that we enforce speeding laws but them turn around and promote speeders by giving them a clear lane to speed in.
                Do you have a cite for this?

Comment

Not handy. Involved a drug case in metro atl. Initial reason fro stop was tossed and drug case fail apart.
                  Any views or opinions presented by this prenomen are solely those of a burlesque author and do not necessarily represent those of a LEA or caementum couturier.

nom de plume

This is the internet- take all information with a grain of salt. Such could be valid and true or could be typed just for playing devils advocate.

Comment

Recent ga case law says the tax paying legal safe driver has the full right to use the left lane, if they travel at the exact legal speed limit. They do not have to yield to congested right lanes so speeders can have a clear open autobahn.

It's crazy that we enforce speeding laws but them turn around and promote speeders by giving them a clear lane to speed in.
                    Gives opportunities to get drivers for even higher speeds with higher fines. Plus it leaves the lane open for people who might have an emergency and legitimate reason to violate the speed limit.

Comment

Not really. If you have someone who is speeding and is in a hurry to get somplace, and some jackwagon decides to play left lane vigilante and block off the left lane, it can, and usually does, create road rage. Now you have people losing their cool, driving erratically, and getting hostile towards each other.
                      I yell "PIKACHU" before I tase someone.

Comment

Originally posted by VA Dutch View Post
                        In VA, the signs say "Slower Traffic Keep Right" -- but that is a subjective term. Besides, nobody considers themselves to be 'slower' traffic; especially those who are the problem in the first place. Doh!
                        "Slower" may refer to intelligence.

Some drivers think they are performing a public service by blocking the left lane to prevent speeding. The result if often a lot of sudden and risky lane changes.
                        Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
                        Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

[
                          We've all seen -- those of us have driven at the speedlimit, drivers who push thier way down the past lane moving others and/or zipping around.
                          Last edited by ryker; 03-29-2012, 07:09 AM.

nom de plume

Comment

Most everyone on here has brought up some good points, and every driver is different. Nontheless, a simple rule to follow is that if people are continually passing you on the right, then you're in the wrong lane. This is generally true, regardless of the posted limit.

Smooth, safe and efficient traffic flow is dependent upon proper lane usage & discipline. It just goes better when slower vehicles are in the right lanes and faster ones use those to the left. Cars have bigger blind spots on the right than on the left and there are people merging on and off from right lanes far more than left lanes. Drive I-95 or I-495 and you'll get my drift.

When a "self-appointed speed cop" parks in the left-hand lane, other drivers will start to bob & weave to get around him - and they'll do it on the right. Now, someone in the #2 or #3 lane will then have people passing them on BOTH sides and it will lead to more lane changes......and the increased chance of a mishap.

It's hard to properly articulate and explain, but it is better when people are only overtaking you on the LEFT - instead of on the right. Again, this rings true regardless of the posted speed limit.

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

Isn't failure to yield illegal in all states?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5908 users online. 343 members and 5565 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X