Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Police Officer Retiring...

Hi All,

I’m new to this site, but I just wanted to say hello. I am studying Criminal Justice in college and on my first year in.

I come from a long line of police officers. My Great Grandfather, Grandfather, Father, Uncle.. I swear it is in our blood. I think, from what I have seen, many officers come from family’s of law enforcement people.

I know I am new here, but I wanted to share an article that I am very proud of and I think would be respected by many of you.

My father retired on April 1st on his 40th anniversary with the town he came to love and protect. He was with a department prior to the one he retired with, that would give him a total of 42 years serving the people of Maine.

Seems like, from his retirement, I have learned that people have a love/hate relationship with police officers. Not that I am surprised, where growing up through my life I have seen a lot of back lash against him and others because they are police officers. I just thought, here is a guy that risked his life day after day for these people and on the day he retires, the people he would give his life for are talking crap about him.

So I came here and share his retirement with people that live the life and would understand what he did day in and day out. This is a pretty big and well known website/forum so perhaps a few of you may even know him.

Here is the article. I apologize upfront if I put this in the wrong section.

American Journal, Gorham Maine

Portland, Maine Press Herald

I have been retired for nineteen years. To be truthful, it has been a blast. What I had as a cop I left behind. With the exception of fond memories over my 30 year career, I have not dwelled on the past.

I wish your father a long and happy retirement. Tell him to fill his time doing those things that make him happy and to get reacquainted with his wife. Happiness and stimulating thought will give him the best pleasure he has experienced in a long time. Good luck to him!
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

Great story. I know of a couple families that have an extensive history in law enforcement. Kudos to your dad for his many years on the job and for his retirement. He must have done something right! Make sure you pick his brain for wisdom. He can really guide you and I am sure he has a vast amount of knowledge to help guide you in this career.
      Prov 17:17 A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.

Comment

Thank him for his service from all of us. We all bleed blue. Good luck to you too.
        Pete Malloy, "The only thing black and white about this job is the car."

Comment

Having recently retired after a 35 yr career------------send your father my congratulations..

I highly recommend retirement

Comment

Congrats to your Dad, Jstagurl! I retired 2011-12-29 with just over 35 years on the job. Tell your Dad to relax and enjoy - especially those grandkids!
            #32936 - Royal Canadian Mounted Police - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
            Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 to date
            RCMP Veterans Association - Regina Division member
            Mounted Police Professional Association of Canada - Associate (Retired) member
            "Smile" - no!

Comment

Originally posted by PeteBroccolo View Post
              Congrats to your Dad, Jstagurl! I retired 2011-12-29 with just over 35 years on the job. Tell your Dad to relax and enjoy - especially those grandkids!
              That is going to be the deciding factor on my retirement. When my son is old enough to have kids I plan on being his full time babysitter. I like to believe that it would be like raising my son all over again.
              Prov 17:17 A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.

Comment

Thanks for your kind words.

I will pass them on to my father.

As a gift, I bought my dad a new Sony LCD 42' TV. Figured he is going to spend much of his time watching TV, might as well be a really good one. He really deserved it.

Comment

Originally posted by OneAdam12 View Post
                  Thank him for his service from all of us. We all bleed blue. Good luck to you too.
                  Well said.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7919 users online. 374 members and 7545 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                  X