X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Federal officer shoots at home invasion suspect

Federal officer shoots at home invasion suspect

By Matt Zapotosky

An off-duty federal police officer exchanged gunfire with a home invasion suspect in Bowie Monday afternoon, authorities said.

The incident occurred just before 3 pm in the 15000 block of Peregrine Court. Bowie police said in a report that an off-duty federal police officer exchanged gunfire with one of two people who had apparently forced their way into his neighbor's home. Police said the neighbor approached the officer saying that the suspects had forced their way into her home, and the officer encountered them on the way out.

No one was hit by the gunfire, and police have detained two "persons of interest," authorities said.

Chris Ortman, a spokesman for the Department of Homeland Security, confirmed that an off-duty Federal Protective Service inspector was involved in a shooting “after encountering an armed suspect near his residence.”

Federal Protective Service, a Department of Homeland Security agency, provides security to federal buildings nationwide.

“An investigation is ongoing and more details will be shared when they are available,” Ortman said.

On Monday afternoon the Bowie home was roped off with crime tape. A neighbor who declined to be identified said he heard three rounds of shots -- and during at least one, it sounded like two guns were firing back and forth at each other.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...PlMD_blog.html

Suspects face federal charges on allegations of shooting at FPS officer
    By Ed O'Keefe

Two suspects accused of shooting at an off-duty federal law enforcement officer are now facing federal charges.

As colleague Matt Zapotosky reported Monday, an off-duty Federal Protective Service inspector exchanged gunfire with one of two people who had apparently forced their way into his neighbor’s home in Bowie.

Local police said the neighbor approached the inspector, Anton Sampson, saying that the suspects had forced their way into her home, and the officer encountered them on the way out.

Federal Protective Service, a Department of Homeland Security agency, provides security to federal buildings nationwide.

No one was hit by the gunfire, and police arrested two suspects, according to a law enforcement report obtained by The Washington Post.

In addition to a slew of state robbery and handgun charges, the report said the pair now also face federal charges for shooting at the officer. They could face prison time or fines if convicted on the charge

FPS only recently began permitting inspectors to carry their firearms while off-duty. If Sampson had fired his weapon before the policy was enacted, he would have been in violation of agency policy.

A bill introduced Monday by senators would bolster an FPS inspector’s right to carry a weapon while off-duty by making the new handgun policy a federal law.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/....html?hpid=z10

Comment

Where was this Bearcat
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
        Where was this Bearcat
        Maryland. Its about half-way between Arlington and Annapolis.
        Originally posted by kontemplerande
        Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

Where was this Bearcat
          Bowie, MD.... NE of DC ....just outside the Beltway......

Comment

Sounds like a little remedial range time is in order! (Otherwise, well done.)
            "Son, you are a walkin' violation of the laws of nature...But we don't enforce them laws."

I am just a country boy tryin' to make some sense
            But I'd like to ask the Congress, I'd like to ask the President
            "Can ya tell me where all the money went?"
            We might not be broke but we're badly bent!

The Tractors -- "Badly Bent" from the album Owner's Manual

"Common sense. So rare, it should be a super power." Exodus 259

Comment

Originally posted by HeadDoc View Post
              Sounds like a little remedial range time is in order! (Otherwise, well done.)
              You really had to go there....glad the Inspector was not hurt.

And have you ever been in a shoot out before? Enough said.
              "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

Originally posted by irishlad2nv View Post

+100

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat357 View Post
                  FPS only recently began permitting inspectors to carry their firearms while off-duty. If Sampson had fired his weapon before the policy was enacted, he would have been in violation of agency policy.

A bill introduced Monday by senators would bolster an FPS inspector’s right to carry a weapon while off-duty by making the new handgun policy a federal law.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/....html?hpid=z10
                  If you're in your own house or on your own property, they can't stop you from having a firearm unless they want to end up in federal court. Also, at that point in time, you are defending yourself and it doesn't really matter that you're the police or not.

Comment

Originally posted by S.O.444 View Post
                    If you're in your own house or on your own property, they can't stop you from having a firearm unless they want to end up in federal court. Also, at that point in time, you are defending yourself and it doesn't really matter that you're the police or not.
                    I know MD has crappy gun laws.....and would suspect there is no Home Protection laws like we have back in MO.....and I suspect you have in TX......

Comment

I probably should have used a smiley face. I have observed before that sardonic humor doesn't come across very well on the internet.

Yes, I have been in several shootouts -- military, not LE -- and I miss considerably more than I hit. There's something about the target shooting back that just blows my concentration. If someone would sentence me to a few days of mandatory range time on the clock, I wouldn't object.
                      "Son, you are a walkin' violation of the laws of nature...But we don't enforce them laws."

I am just a country boy tryin' to make some sense
                      But I'd like to ask the Congress, I'd like to ask the President
                      "Can ya tell me where all the money went?"
                      We might not be broke but we're badly bent!

The Tractors -- "Badly Bent" from the album Owner's Manual

"Common sense. So rare, it should be a super power." Exodus 259

Comment

Err......your sense of humor must be lacking..... I took it as a joke......

We had a Trooper get into a incident with a dude pointing a pistol at him.....Trooper (still in FTO at that) shot and hit the dude in the elbow.....and dude dropped the gun and cried like a baby..... Dude went to prison in one of Missouri's finer Correctional Facilities and is still there for another 5 years......

Said Trooper caught crap for several weeks to include targets on his desk that pointed to center mass and the elbow....making sure that he knew where to shoot and where not to shoot, ammo laying on his desk, and weapons training videos from Wally-World laying on his desk.......among other things.....

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat357 View Post
                          Err......your sense of humor must be lacking..... I took it as a joke......

We had a Trooper get into a incident with a dude pointing a pistol at him.....Trooper (still in FTO at that) shot and hit the dude in the elbow.....and dude dropped the gun and cried like a baby..... Dude went to prison in one of Missouri's finer Correctional Facilities and is still there for another 5 years......

Said Trooper caught crap for several weeks to include targets on his desk that pointed to center mass and the elbow....making sure that he knew where to shoot and where not to shoot, ammo laying on his desk, and weapons training videos from Wally-World laying on his desk.......among other things.....
                          We had a supervisor who publicly told everyone that the officers assigned to Tower duty could only get a top performance rating if they had a confirmed good shoot of a prisoner either escaping or assaulting a staff member. He was only half kidding.
                          Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

We had a supervisor who publicly told everyone that the officers assigned to Tower duty could only get a top performance rating if they had a confirmed good shoot of a prisoner either escaping or assaulting a staff member. He was only half kidding.
                            We had no mercy on this kid..... He still gets grief....

It is what it is...... I saw no issues with what HeadDoc posted....as cops will be cops....and will give each other crap for stuff like this........

I guess some folks forget what it's like to be on the streets.......

Comment

Originally posted by S.O.444 View Post
                              They can dictate what you do with your issued weapon. Personal weapon is a different story. Maryland has much stricter guns laws than both of our states.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4213 users online. 274 members and 3939 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X