X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video: Man "beaten" and Tased by Pittsburgh Officers at PNC Park

Updated: Monday, 11 Apr 2011, 6:24 PM EDT
    Published : Monday, 11 Apr 2011, 4:45 PM EDT

A Pittsburgh Pirates fan was clubbed and Tasered by police at PNC Park Saturday night, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reported Monday.

The bust-up was caught on video by another fan. In the footage, Scott James Ashley, 41, is seen being led out of the stands by police. A fellow fan tried to high-five him as he walked past but the attempt was prevented by a stadium employee.

Ashley responded by striking the stadium employee with his elbow, it is alleged.

At that point Pittsburgh Detective Francis Rende told Ashley he was being placed under arrest, according to the police complaint, and asked him to put his hands behind his back.

When Ashley refused, Rende and another officer forcibly subdued him using a Taser before clubbing him with their nightsticks, the Post-Gazette said.

After repeated clubbing, the two officers tackled Ashley and handcuffed him as a large crowd gathered, chanting "USA" because Ashley was wearing a red, white and blue USA jacket.

Rende wrote in the complaint that he and his colleague feared for their safety during the incident.

The Pirates said in a statement that Ashley was intoxicated and using excessive foul language in the stands, which prompted a stadium employee to call police.

"After receiving complaints from fans in that section and observing his behavior, the individual was asked by PNC Park staff to leave," the statement said.

"He refused and threatened the PNC Park staff employee with more foul and abusive language. At that point, pursuant to PNC Park procedure, the Pittsburgh police on duty at the ballpark were asked to assist, and it became a police matter."

Ashley, of Friendship, Pa., remains in Allegheny County jail on $5,000 bond after being charged with resisting arrest, disorderly conduct, harassment and public drunkenness, according to the Post-Gazette. He was reportedly treated at Allegheny General Hospital after the scuffle.

__________________________________________________ _________________________________
    I didn't see anything wrong with this video (yes, the hit to the head is questionable, but.. the guy was acting like a total asshat). I would hardly say that this man was "tackled and beaten with nightsticks" as the news reported.

Here's the Youtube video: (it's at the bottom of the news report)

http://www.myfoxboston.com/dpp/news/...5-ncx-20110411
    Everybody counts or no one counts.
    -Harry Bosch

Some of you may remember that in my early days I was sort of a bleeding heart liberal. Then I became a man and put away childish things.
    -Ronald Reagan

Why is there always some annoying wimmins voice in the background saying "OH MY GOD, STOP IT" over and over again...

Comment

Quote from supposed officer on the news page

I have to agree with all of you. I'm also an officer in a large city and based on what I see here, there is no justification for the use of a baton. He was on his way out and should have been encouraged to continue on his own steam. Instead the officers stood in his way and confronted him. The man made no aggressive moves toward officers and was struck for it.....and did I mention there were two officers when the first officer sissy slapped him with his baton? He's lucky that guy didn't throw him a beating afterward.
      Im not an officer but please answer this one for me officers on here. If someone assaults someone else and resists arrest wouldn't using the baton be justified? Because last time I checked it was....

Comment

Originally posted by Lendog View Post
        Quote from supposed officer on the news page

Im not an officer but please answer this one for me officers on here. If someone assaults someone else and resists arrest wouldn't using the baton be justified? Because last time I checked it was....
        If you look closely, you can see that after the drunkard comes down the stairs, the tries to high five a security officer and then proceeds to push him into the crowd. That is when the tasers and batons were deployed---because he had just assaulted someone. Absolutely justified IMO. And BTW, that commenter is most likely not a PO.
        Everybody counts or no one counts.
        -Harry Bosch

Some of you may remember that in my early days I was sort of a bleeding heart liberal. Then I became a man and put away childish things.
        -Ronald Reagan

Comment

Originally posted by redsox2010 View Post
          If you look closely, you can see that after the drunkard comes down the stairs, the tries to high five a security officer and then proceeds to push him into the crowd. That is when the tasers and batons were deployed---because he had just assaulted someone. Absolutely justified IMO. And BTW, that commenter is most likely not a PO.
          Bingo.

He just completed a battery on that security guard; no way in hell is he going to be escourted out with a slap on the wrist.

And I hope a TASER representive watched that video....Sounded like 3 cartridges to me; and didn't get Mr. USA and his paper thin wind breaker jacket to go down.

Comment

Moral to this story: Don't get drunk at a ballgame and go around "throwin' bows", and you'll have no worry of being "beaten" by those "dirty" pittsburgh cops.

Comment

Maybe the probes missed, maybe he was so drunk out of his mind that the taser had no effect.
              This show is awesome, wrapped in supercool and smothered in bitchin. The only way it could be cooler is if he was riding a unicorn or something.

M-11

Comment

Using the baton like that is what makes it look so bad to the public. If your going to swing it then use as much force as possible. Hopefully I practice what I preach..lol
                yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by -Erik- View Post
                  Maybe the probes missed, maybe he was so drunk out of his mind that the taser had no effect.
                  I can understand missing once or twice; but three times I heard the TASER go off.
                  And NMI(Neuromuscular Incapacitation; the TASER effect) works on drunk, high, stupid, and wind breaker wearing people alike...

Comment

The only thing I saw wrong with the video was the horrible use of a baton. Who taught these Officers how to use one??? There was no power in the shots, it was like a little girl swinging a baton. The Officers should have grabbed the guy and took him to the ground and handcuffed him. Just my two cents worth.
                    Budda sat in front of a wall and when he stood up he was enlightened. I sat in front of a wall and when I stood up the wall was enlightened.

We forge our skills in the fire of our will.

Comment

I have to think the taser missed and embedded in the jacket, how else would he have been able to have no reaction.
                      Though their numbers are many, as the grass upon the field, we will count them at the end of the day.

Comment

The clicking of the Taser is it arcing back at the weapon because there is no circuit between the probes... meaning missed shot or poor contact.

It's much quieter when both probes are in skin...
                        All Gave Some - Some Gave All

Comment

Here's the direct YouTube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAVoU_UXgQI

Out of curiosity, would the location of the baton strikes be in line with your agencies' use of force policies and training with his level of resistance to the LEOs?

Comment

This guy is an idiot, too bad they didn't know how to swing that baton. I would loved to see him hit cracked harder.
                            It's idiots like this that keep me from bringing the family to ball parks. He has to be a useless piece of degenerative shi- to get so drunk at a baseball game and cause issues. I swear to God we are devolving as a society.
                            MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Comment

I have a sneaking suspicion a dymondwood baton would have shattered dude's collarbone. Just sayin'.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3355 users online. 206 members and 3149 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X