300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh! My poor Baby!

I guess I'm getting old and grumpy (grumpier?) but this story seemed to illustrate some of what's wrong these days. God forbid a big ole bad po-leeceman gets to talk to my lil darlin without me knowing about it. Same holds true for teachers I fear (am I wrong?).

We're coddling the kids too much these days.

Just ranting.

http://www.officer.com/online/articl...ion=1&id=57718

W. Va. Officers Questioning of Students Sparks Controversy
    Posted: April 7th, 2011 04:16 AM CDT

Story by wtov9.com

FOLLANSBEE, W.Va. --

A vandalism investigation in Follansbee is sparking controversy at a Brooke County middle school.

Superintendent Dr. Kathy Kidder confirms that on Feb. 24, police Officer Harry Myers questioned eight or nine children at Follansbee Middle School about damage to the city's ice rink, but no one notified the student's parents.

"Oh my God. They're probably petrified," said Lorrie McMahon, of Follansbee. "I would like to know if my kid was being questioned by a police officer."

"I wouldn't appreciate that if my kid being was questioned without being notified," said Robert Canei, also of Follansbee.

Canei's three children attend Follansbee Middle School and this incident isn't sitting well with him.

"They might be scared or intimidated," he said. "They could be feeling like they did something wrong and they didn't."

Questioning kids without parental knowledge is also against the Brooke County School Board's policy.

According to the superintendent, the board's previous policy required that parents and an attorney be notified before law enforcement questioned students under 14 and that parents be called for kids 14 to 16.

After the recent incident, the school board changed the policy. Now, no matter what a student's age, parents must be called before police speak to children.

"They're minors. We should be aware of what they're possibly accused of," said McMahon.

Kidder said school officials contacted Follansbee police, Wellsburg police and the Brooke County Sheriff's Office to inform them of the school policy. In addition, a school administrator faced disciplinary action from the school board for letting the officer inside the building to question students without parental knowledge.

The administrator still works for Brooke County Schools and is fighting the disciplinary action.

NEWS9 spoke with two other concerned parents of Follansbee Middle School students on the phone Tuesday who were scheduled to speak at Monday's council meeting about the officer who questioned kids. One father couldn't attend and the other chose not to speak after hearing the mayor's prepared statement.

In a separate incident, Follansbee city officials said they are investigating a police officer, but they won't release information on the allegations or the officer's identity. At no time did Brooke County school officials, Follansbee city officials or police say the two incidents are connected.
    sigpic
    Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun.
    And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son.

What is going to happen when kids grow up and have to deal with life as an adult in the real world.
    It's not that liberals are ignorant. It's just that they know so much that isn't so. Ronald Reagan

TSA, I would rather be felt up than blown up.

Comment

I would buy you a beer my friend. I had this same conversation with my wife last night. Were raising a bunch of painseys (not sure if I spelled that right) who will learn real quik the world owes them nothing. Then reality will hit. You watch and see the number of suicides in 20+ years spike up. Trust me I hope I'm wrong, I would never want to be right about that..
      MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Comment

I can understand the controversy. When kids are in school they are effectively detained. They are not free to leave of their own accord. It's unreasonable to force them into a room with a LEO interviewing them without any representation or support.

In "the real world" an adult is free to walk away from a LEO and ignore him if he feels like it. Those kids weren't given that option.

Especially considering the fact that this was all done in violation of school policy, it boggles my mind that you guys don't see why it is an issue.

Comment

What is going to happen when kids grow up and have to deal with life as an adult in the real world.
          I see we were on the same thought (again) Great minds do think alike
          MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Comment

Boy, when I was growing up if my parents found out the cops were talking to me I would get my *** beat........

Comment

Talking to the kids is one thing, interrogating them is a whole other thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Justsaying View Post
                They call mommy and daddy.
                I yell "PIKACHU" before I tase someone.

Comment

Ok, this forum is really starting to make me feel old, LOL. And old-fashioned. When I was a kid, if a cop went to a kid to ask them about something, the element of surprise usually produced the truth about any transgressions. Either on the part of that kid or the kid usually ratted out his guilty buddies. How can cops get to the truth in these scenarios if they have to wait for lawyers and parents? Back to the scenario of my childhood - if some brat was being questioned by a cop because they or their buddies were usually the guilty party in some transgression, it almost always followed that the kids' parents were a carbon copy of the brats. Acorns never fell far from the trees.

Comment

Originally posted by Fëanor View Post
                    I can understand the controversy. When kids are in school they are effectively detained. They are not free to leave of their own accord. It's unreasonable to force them into a room with a LEO interviewing them without any representation or support.
                    Using that logic, if you suspect your own child is involved in some local malfeacance at home.....and home is the ONLY place the lil angel has to go.....and you question them about it, without benefit of legal counsel........?

Have fun in Juvenile Court.
                    sigpic
                    Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun.
                    And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son.

Comment

There is a case law on this called the "green decision." An Officer can not question a juvenile without the parents being present except in exergent circumstances, a warrant, or permission from the parent.
                      Budda sat in front of a wall and when he stood up he was enlightened. I sat in front of a wall and when I stood up the wall was enlightened.

We forge our skills in the fire of our will.

Comment

I agree the kids should NOT have been questioned without the parents of the actual children who were being questioned notified FIRST - but to have the parents present with their lawyers?!?! Give me a break!! "Scared and intimidated"?!?! GOOD!! Maybe if they weren't the guilty ones it'll keep them from doing anything stupid in the future...and if they are the guilty ones they'll come clean like they should! All the other parents whose kids were not even involved can ****** off...

If my parents were notified that I was a suspect in a crime by the police and they wanted to question me, my parents would have shown up and if they thought I was lying they would have beat the truth out of me! Then they would beat me for what I did!! Guess how many times that happened? NEVER! Why? Because I knew what would happen!!

When did the world get so soft?!? Makes me sick...

Just my 2 cents...
                        Last edited by Aerohead; 04-08-2011, 12:04 AM. Reason: Typo
                        Originally posted by RSGSRT
                        We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
                        Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

My mom was pretty liberal when I was growing up.

But even then, if she found out the police were questioning me, she would have whupped my *** on principal for wasting their time

Comment

Lets take it back to the beginning: I don't remember seeing that the kids were taken into a room and interrogated. It just says they were questioned, but not where, how many were there, etc. It very well could have been a situation of 'gym class 2B was near the rink at that time' so the officer went to the class room and asked if anyone knew anything about it, then followed up on whatever was said. Let's not forget that news reporters can be told wrong information or misinterpret correct information. Plus, I don't like that a school official is being punished for 'allowing officers in the building'. I've been working for a college pd for a few months now, but when I was on the street, we were ENCOURAGED to walk through the schools since there weren't any SRO's. It allowed us to make sure nothing was happening at the school, let kids know we are approachable (we would let them look at the car and stuff at recess and talk with them in the halls), and they wouldn't assume something bad had happened when a cop was in the school.
                            Originally posted by Ceridwen
                            Just one would be stingy of me, I'd have to get two. For the children.

Comment

Originally posted by Justsaying View Post
                              They'll move to passive/aggresive Seattle where I work.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5403 users online. 311 members and 5092 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X