Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bill would allow those in the military to drink even if under 21.

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The only times I ever had problems with the 18-20 years old in the military drinking was when one would get stupid and throw crap from the dorms. I found that most who kept it in there rooms and had a buddy or 2 over never really caused any problems... Unless there was a woman....
    I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

Originally posted by orlandofed5-0 View Post
      Unless there was a woman....
      99.9% of all issues are because of women, dope, or money...... And usually over the women....

Comment

I am not sure if this is a LEO only posting area or not but I feel strongly about this. If you are old enough to lay down your life for your country and old enough to help select the next President of the United States then you are old enough to enjoy a drink.
        I remember being told that the age is 21 to lower the amount drunk driving. After 27 years of cutting drunk people out of wrecks it is MY PERSONAL OBSERVATION that the grey hairs by far out number the youngsters in the area that I live in.

Another well intended law that just didn't produce the desired result.

Why does the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania tell folks not to drink and drive but yet insists on being the sole purveyor of liquor? LOL
        Firefighters tease cops, cops tease firefighters, it's the natural order of things!

Comment

Originally posted by ryker View Post
          So every 18yr old drinks and then drives? Each and every one. As if 45yr old don't drink and drive. The link provided shows there to be only a 04% difference of that select three year group to the group that includes 80yr old. I'm sure I could cherry pick the data over several decades and find several groups of various ages that have a greater than 4% change.

An old quote "three type of lies are lies, damn lies and statistics".
          Comparing modern data to your 1999 old data without factoring in modern changes. Air bags, abs, stability control, and youth targeted driving codes.

But if you like data- speeding is the number one cause of death for teens. Been that way for decades. Yet they are allowed to drive 600hp cars. Drive 6000lb trucks. Et Al..... More teens lives could be saved if they were not allowed cars capable of speeding. Even drunk teens lives could be saved from not allowing them access to high speed capable cars. Speeding is illegal so why give them access to a car capable of speeding.

Drinking and driving is a choice. If at 18 you lack the mindset to drink a beer or ten beers then you also lack the legal right to: buy land, sell land, sign contracts, get married, get divorced, abort a child, adopt a child, join the military, hunt with a weapon, etc etc.

As if on day 365 of your 20th year on earth you wake up with the magic ability to control your choice to drink and drive. Either your a full adult at 18 or your not. No middle ground.
          You have a serious reading comprehension problem if you think that is what I said.

If I read English the wy you do, I would say that you claim that 18-20 year olds ALWAYS behave responsibly and NEVER drive while intoxicated.

Obviously, I am talking about statistics.
          Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
          Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by dunno View Post
            Another well intended law that just didn't produce the desired result.
            I am curious. What is your evidence that the limitation on drinking age "didn't produce the desired result"?

If I saw real evidence that showed there was no effect from raising the drinking age, I would change my view.

Comment

My evidence is simply my personal observation and it is only good for where I live(rural Pennsylvania). I am more than sure the percentages of old vs young will change with location that includes all of the U.S. not just Pa. This is why states need local control over their jurisdictions as the needs differ from area to area based on demographics and such.

Just for the record, I am not trying to change your view on ANY topic or that of anybody else, everybody has their own reasons for what they think. Those reasons are shaped by their environment and personal experience which is different for everybody.

I guess that's a long arse way of saying I respect your opinion, I just don't agree with you. LOL
              Last edited by dunno; 04-08-2011, 11:18 AM. Reason: added Editorial comment
              Firefighters tease cops, cops tease firefighters, it's the natural order of things!

Comment

For the longest time, active duty could drink aboard the base under 21, though the law out in town was 21. Not a problem with it [being different on base]. However, I do not think things should be changed out in town.
                sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

Originally posted by Smurfette_76 View Post
                  For the longest time, active duty could drink aboard the base under 21, though the law out in town was 21. Not a problem with it [being different on base]. However, I do not think things should be changed out in town.
                  Entirely sensible.

If you keep it on base, then you don't have the drunk driving problem. Also, it is easier to deal with the drunkenness issues when it is all in-house.

Comment

Originally posted by dunno View Post
                    My evidence is simply my personal observation and it is only good for where I live(rural Pennsylvania). I am more than sure the percentages of old vs young will change with location that includes all of the U.S. not just Pa. This is why states need local control over their jurisdictions as the needs differ from area to area based on demographics and such.

Just for the record, I am not trying to change your view on ANY topic or that of anybody else, everybody has their own reasons for what they think. Those reasons are shaped by their environment and personal experience which is different for everybody.

I guess that's a long arse way of saying I respect your opinion, I just don't agree with you. LOL
                    NHTSA has published research showing that the law raising the drinking age has reduced the number of traffic fatalities. I don't think any one person's observations have any statistical validity.

Comment

Originally posted by DAL View Post
                      Entirely sensible.

If you keep it on base, then you don't have the drunk driving problem. Also, it is easier to deal with the drunkenness issues when it is all in-house.
                      In addition, they (military members) aren't running the risk of being charged in town and on base. If at ALL possible, I allow them to handle their own, but many times the circs don't allow that. I still feel bad (many times) that they are charged in the civilian world AND the military world, but I didn't create that situation for them AND they are we aware of that fact. We're swamped toward the fall with the Marine Corps balls and thankfully, the Corps usually brings their own security to handle things. That way "we" aren't involved and they handle it. However, the younger set goes partying after the ball ends...and Lord knows they don't go anywhere by themselves! ....drunk interactions with civilians never ends well for any involved. Any of us that work military areas (in towns with clubs/bars) knows that every pay day weekend fights increase, DWI arrests increase and domestics increase. Add the military payday to the first of the month checks....woah boy.

Off topic but somewhat related: Spice is illegal for military but still legal in town untill 6-1-11.
                      sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

Smurfette does make sense. Don't fret about them being slapped by both civilian and Military, the best advise I was given at a young age was that I didn't cause the problem, I'm just called here to clean it up.

DAL
                        That is why I stated it as such. I will look for that report from NHTSA, hopefully they explain where and how they got their stats and don't simply list generic stats.

In the end, conversation on this forum will not be changing any laws.

Spice?

Comment

I don't fret, I just don't like the unfairness....again, I didn't create it AND they know their rules when they made/make the decision to violate law in town.

Spice. K2. Quick reference.... http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/n...-highs-illegal
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Smurfette_76 View Post
                            Off topic but somewhat related: Spice is illegal for military but still legal in town untill 6-1-11.
                            I sent you some stuff on K2/Spice but it didn't go through.....it said your email was full..... I will resend when I can...

Comment

NC is making it illegal soon. We're currently dealing with an onslaught of bath salts. I took an AWESOME video of a young man high on it last week, but alas, I cannot post it here. Let's just say he was trying to land a Cessna in the PVA of Walmart so he could tackle it, otherwise he'd get 10 years in prison. Thanfully, he wasn't violent...such as the man walking down the highway tripping on bath salts and carrying a hatchet.
                              sigpic

Comment

Thanks Bearcat, I think I get the idea from Smurfettes post on Spice. I live a sheltered life! LOL

I will check that email address, I only use it for forums so I seldom actually check it as I try to avoid spam to my real email account.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5415 users online. 327 members and 5088 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X