X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BigMyk
    replied
    http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/424499...-today_people/

There is a poll at the bottom of the page, current'y runnning 75% in favor to 25% against the actuions of the LPD officers. Yay, only 25% of Today show viewers are total retards (who would be crying a lot louder if LPD did something different and ended up hurting the boy). That progress at least.

Leave a comment:

• JasperST
    replied
    Originally posted by Magic Matt View Post
    My wife’s teacher pension will be 1.3% per year @ age 60, and as a 12 year teacher makes $40k…

Teachers at the Middle school she worked last year would get into trouble for writing to many referrals, and this year, her elementary school like the middle, the principle takes the parents side against the teacher who is being unfair to little Tommy, he's the victim, the teacher is always wrong and if you don’t like it find another job…
    As far as the income goes, nearly 4 grand a month is excellent wages, especially in this economy. As far as the job goes, she still gets a check, correct?

Leave a comment:

• willbird
    replied
    The kid is just plain nuts, and no history of discipline. When I was a small kid (1970's)the neighbors were all older than my parents, and they all assumed they had grandparents rights to discipline, and much to MY surprise, they DID :-). One older guy a few doors down had a retaining wall in his front yard that ran along the sidewalk.. started out at nothing high and went up to about 36" high in a taper. Made of flat stones stacked with some stuff growing from between them, viny succulent stuff. Well we kids would walk up that wall....one day he told me not to, and I smart asterisked back at him, he grabbed me by the EAR and drug me home. All the while I was thinking "boy is HE gonna get it when we get there".......WRONG.......I got it when we got there.

And he was not a mean old man, he was just an adult that did not take back talk from kids. He would end up arrested in this day and age. He had been a high school shop teacher for a long time before he retired. Him telling about the 60's was highly amusing...all the students started making things to hold pills and weed in shop class, puzzled the heck out of him :-).

Leave a comment:

• jcioccke
    replied
    ^^^^

What did you do??? LOL

I never made it to the priest..

Leave a comment:

• oneoldcop
    replied
    Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
    You too Emma? Yeah Sister did a little "stick time" on me. So did my Mom when I got home with the note from Sister. Bullies were just about nonexistent too, but when one showed up he was dealt with. The kid who did it didn't have to apologize either.
    You guys must have been good kids, I got to see the priest on occasion; not so pleasant memories...And then the fear and dread of going home and facing those consequences...

Leave a comment:

• PhilipCal
    replied
    Originally posted by EmmaPeel View Post
    I was thinking the same thing regarding having to call the police. As for the corporal punishment, heck I remember grade school when the Nuns could use a ruler on our knuckles. Not one minute was wasted being distracted by discipline issues.
    You too Emma? Yeah Sister did a little "stick time" on me. So did my Mom when I got home with the note from Sister. Bullies were just about nonexistent too, but when one showed up he was dealt with. The kid who did it didn't have to apologize either.

Leave a comment:

• TeachMe
    replied
    Originally posted by ryker View Post
    Taxes for a system that I have no kids in. My parents and grandparents still pay property taxes. All three of my neighbors pays for schools and don't have kids.
    The public school taxation is massive! That's what got me irked. We buy used junk cars for patrol. Carry. Shotgun older than I am... Yet teachers roll it in. Weekends off. Holidays off. Summer months off.
    First of all...everyone benefits from an educated society.

Second... Teachers roll it in?!?!?!? Where is my roll? In my opinion, I don't make anywhere near what I am worth. As far as summers off, holidays off... teachers don't get paid for days off. I get paid to teach 187 days a year, that is it. There isn't a teacher I know that gets paid for summer break. We get paid thru breaks and holidays because our checks are prorated. Do I teach more then 187 days a year, you bet I do. This week is Spring Break for my school district.

Did I go on a vacation?? Nope, can't afford it.
    Did I "work"? Every day of it.
    Did I go to my school to work? I have every day this week, and will go on Thursday.
    Will I get paid for it... not a dime!!

When you have a day off, do you go into work and do paperwork? My guess is most of you don't. If you stay late doing paperwork, do you get paid for it - you do, it's called overtime. Never heard of in my profession. I teach for 8 hours a day, and stay about 4 hours after or before school just doing paperwork. You thinking working a DUI takes a lot of paperwork, try doing an alternative assessment or preparing for an ARC meeting. I can't tell my student to hang out in the hallway, I have paperwork to do. That is done on my own time, at my own expense.

Do I have to do the paperwork? Only if I want to keep my job. Only if I want my kids to succeed.
    Do I attend the mandatory meetings and professional development? Everyone of them.
    Do I get paid for them? Occasionally a profession development will offer a stipend, but it rarely covers the gas needed to get there.

Please don't take what I am saying as complaining, I am just putting it out there for you to think about. I love what I do. I am good at what I do - just like you are.

Leave a comment:

• COpd
    replied
    That's close to where I work. Not surprising they're upset since you can't even use a ruler on a kid like that anymore. Reminds me of a group in California that was protesting the use of red pens for grading. They actually quoted them saying "it just screams out this is what you did wrong"... I think it's time to actually wake up and raise kids properly.

Leave a comment:

• Trauma1
    replied
    Oh please! That mother needs to shut the heck up and parent her child. Get him the help he needs before he hurts someone. Help him now, or wait for him to end up a serial killer. Putting him in the national spot light was wrong too, the kid deserved the pepper spray. If he was one of mine, his hide would have been tanned when he got home.

Leave a comment:

• Phouse70
    replied
    Originally posted by DAL View Post
    Maybe the mother would have preferred a Taser.

Leave a comment:

• EmmaPeel
    replied
    Originally posted by JasperST View Post
    It's a shame that with so many adults around the police had to be called. I would have liked to ask the mom how many whacks she gave the brat when she got him home. "None, you say? How's that working out?"
    I was thinking the same thing regarding having to call the police. As for the corporal punishment, heck I remember grade school when the Nuns could use a ruler on our knuckles. Not one minute was wasted being distracted by discipline issues.

Leave a comment:

• HI629
    replied
    Imagine how the headlines would have read if the boy got hit with a bean bag round.

Leave a comment:

• hopperja
    replied
    Originally posted by Magic Matt View Post
    My wife’s teacher pension will be 1.3% per year ...
    That would be nice. My wife's pension will be 1% per year. After 30 years, she will be afforded a generous retirement of 30% of her annual average of the high 5 years! At the top of the current pay scale, topped out for education and experience, 30% would be in the neighborhood of $21,000. That's IF she's at the top of the pay scale for at least 5 years.

In the meantime, her profession is being labeled greedy and some like to scapegoat every teacher as lazy for doing a poor job of educating their students. The 138 hrs per week a student spends outside of school has nothing to do with how they do the 30 hrs a week they are in school. It's those lazy, overpaid teachers!

For the record, in WA, teachers must have a 4-year college degree. And, they have to do 30 hours of in-service (most often unpaid time) per year to maintain certification. My wife works at least 5 hrs of unpaid time every school week planning, grading papers, etc. (that's a total of about 180 hrs/year).

Back to the original topic: maybe next time that kid will think twice about his behavior now that he's had a painful consequence.
    Last edited by hopperja; 04-06-2011, 11:54 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Stpn2me
    replied
    I see the mom and other's keep complaining that the teachers and cops werent trained to handle a "special" child. Funny, I thought we trained teachers to teach, not administer to retard kids...

Leave a comment:

• deputy x 2
    replied
    Plain and simpe: An incorrigible child is the product of inept parenting.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4845 users online. 310 members and 4535 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X