X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Again very little taxation is used for law enforcement compared
    to the massive budgets of the schools. But even then I agree
    With you amd don't like paying taxes for crooks to be jailed
    In an air conditioned, cable tv, and free meds.

Law enforcement serves the community 24/7/365 to a
    Degree that the community desires from the elected official. At anytime I can call for a
    Vacation house watch, accident report, welfare check, vin check, home invasion... At no time will my wife and I ever have kids that need a public education and then I'd suck up the expense and pay for private school.

Missing the point- I said I don't mind paying some amount. But I refuse to accept the current poor performing system (not blaming teachers). If parents want me to pay for their kids education then they need to at least make the show up to school and half way pay attention. As in this topic matter- mom uses public funded school as free daycare. This kid is highly unlikely to ever become a doctor or anything benifial to society. This child will simply ride a chair in a public funded school for 6-10 more years until he drops out, gets expelled, and/or gets locked up.

What's the drop out rate? What's the testing scores compared to other nations?
    Any views or opinions presented by this prenomen are solely those of a burlesque author and do not necessarily represent those of a LEA or caementum couturier.

nom de plume

This is the internet- take all information with a grain of salt. Such could be valid and true or could be typed just for playing devils advocate.

Comment

bottom line is to look at how much of the school tax collection actually gets past the administrative overhead and down to the classroom (including teachers' salaries).

Comment

Originally posted by ryker View Post
        Again very little taxation is used for law enforcement compared
        to the massive budgets of the schools. But even then I agree
        With you amd don't like paying taxes for crooks to be jailed
        In an air conditioned, cable tv, and free meds.

Law enforcement serves the community 24/7/365 to a
        Degree that the community desires from the elected official. At anytime I can call for a
        Vacation house watch, accident report, welfare check, vin check, home invasion... At no time will my wife and I ever have kids that need a public education and then I'd suck up the expense and pay for private school.
        Not all departments will do those things. Some counties won't even send an officer for property crimes. And if you don't have the money for private school? Are you going to not educate your kid? What good would he be to society down the road?

Missing the point- I said I don't mind paying some amount. But I refuse to accept the current poor performing system (not blaming teachers). If parents want me to pay for their kids education then they need to at least make the show up to school and half way pay attention. As in this topic matter- mom uses public funded school as free daycare. This kid is highly unlikely to ever become a doctor or anything benifial to society. This child will simply ride a chair in a public funded school for 6-10 more years until he drops out, gets expelled, and/or gets locked up.

What's the drop out rate? What's the testing scores compared to other nations?
        We can't make the kid suffer because of crappy parents. It's not their fault and they have no control over what kind of person their parent is. That's another reason why having quality teachers is important so that these kids do stand a fighting chance of being successful. You are right though... it makes it 100x more difficult if the parents don't care. Parents being involved in their kid's education and having good school systems seem to go hand in hand to me. I doubt you will see one without the other.

Parents need to be involved. They should attend school events and meetings. They should follow up on their kid. And they should be held accountable for their lack of action. It has to be hard to stay motivated as a teacher when you see a large number of kids and their parents unconcerned about their schooling. Another reason why we have to make sure we have quality teachers.

We don't need to compare our stats with other nations. We can do the same with crime also. Does that mean we need to disband police forces?

I don't mind paying taxes. I just want to get what I pay for. I am tired of paying taxes just to keep the government running or support other nations. I want to see quality schools, good roads, well trained public safety personnel, efficient government, nice parks, military superiority.....

Comment

Originally posted by jcioccke View Post
          ^^^^

What did you do??? LOL

I never made it to the priest..
          That, is privileged information...
          It's not the will to win that matters...everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters.
          Paul "Bear" Bryant

Comment

You better make confession my friend if you haven't. Just happy to see you made it and "grew up" I always assumed no one returned from there. lol
            MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Comment

Originally posted by JasperST View Post
              As far as the income goes, nearly 4 grand a month is excellent wages, especially in this economy. As far as the job goes, she still gets a check, correct?
              Actually after they take out everything it’s more like 2k per month. Most of the cops in my area are taking home in the 50K’s or 60K’s, some supervisors I know are pulling over 100K, and even with mandatory overtime (that I get paid 1.5X for) I work less hours than she does.
              I don’t know why she does it, and to get screwed with by the administration, it’s not good enough that she always, years after year, produces the highest scoring kids in her grade, it’s always wrong.
              Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
                You too Emma? Yeah Sister did a little "stick time" on me. So did my Mom when I got home with the note from Sister. Bullies were just about nonexistent too, but when one showed up he was dealt with. The kid who did it didn't have to apologize either.
                LOL. Those were the good ole days, and yep, it was a double wammy cuz then you got "it" again when you got home. I credit Catholic School with not having to take remedial English when I got to college, and I still credit those Nuns to this day with my being able to use punctuation properly. Fear DID work as a motivator, lol.

Originally posted by oneoldcop View Post
                You guys must have been good kids, I got to see the priest on occasion; not so pleasant memories...And then the fear and dread of going home and facing those consequences...
                That's right! How could I forget taking fear up a notch with the threat of being sent to the PRIEST! LOL. Must be repressed memories.
                Originally posted by jcioccke View Post
                ^^^^

What did you do??? LOL

I never made it to the priest..
                Yes, yes, jcioccke, I can see you charming the nuns.

Comment

Originally posted by oneoldcop View Post
                  That, is privileged information...
                  I bet when you went to the confessional, the Priests saw you coming and you had to do a gazillion Hail Mary's. Am I right, LOL?

Comment

Originally posted by willowdared View Post
                    Funny, I put 40k at just over 3k a month. And that's after 12 years. That's about $13 an hour, if teachers only worked a 40 hour work week.

The average income for most people with a bachelor's is 55k...master's is 75k

http://www.payscale.com/research/US/...lary/by_Degree

Average teacher's salary:

http://www.payscale.com/research/US/...eachers/Salary
                    If you do the "real" math, 40k for 9 mos is equal to 53,200 if they actually worked a full year. Divide that by the classic 2000 hours per year, and you get $26.2 an hour. I wonder how many of those making 55k with their bachelors would LOVE to drop to 53,200 with all those paid holidays and spring break, and the summer off with their health care paid ? :-) ?

Bill
                    Just pay your dues, and be quiet :-)

Comment

Honestly, I have no friggin' clue how to respond to something like this...

The kid appeared threatening with a sharpened piece of wood; where was adult supervision during the time he obtained/found this piece of wood in the school and began sharpening it?

Where did the kid get the "item" to sharpen the stick? Was it a knife, or a pair of those dull "butterfly" craft scissors you get 10 for a buck at Ben Franklin?

And lastly, the kid weighs 82 pounds. Menacing or not with a sharp stick, could not ONE adult be found in the school to quickly disarm the young miscreant? Really, this was not a case of Mr. Milquetoast teacher Vs. Hulk Hogan; has society de-volved so badly that an adult cannot take charge of a situation like this? Yeah, Mr. M might get a scrape or poke on the wrist, put a band aid on it and control the situation, it's in your building after all, surely you must have even minimal procedures to handle such things...
                      "Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left..."
                      "I swear to God, I'm gonna pistol whip the next guy who says 'Shenanigans' !"

Comment

Originally posted by Gunner.K19 View Post
                        Honestly, I have no friggin' clue how to respond to something like this...

The kid appeared threatening with a sharpened piece of wood; where was adult supervision during the time he obtained/found this piece of wood in the school and began sharpening it?

Where did the kid get the "item" to sharpen the stick? Was it a knife, or a pair of those dull "butterfly" craft scissors you get 10 for a buck at Ben Franklin?

And lastly, the kid weighs 82 pounds. Menacing or not with a sharp stick, could not ONE adult be found in the school to quickly disarm the young miscreant? Really, this was not a case of Mr. Milquetoast teacher Vs. Hulk Hogan; has society de-volved so badly that an adult cannot take charge of a situation like this? Yeah, Mr. M might get a scrape or poke on the wrist, put a band aid on it and control the situation, it's in your building after all, surely you must have even minimal procedures to handle such things...
                        Thank you Mr Security Guard.

If you note------------------EVERY trained, sworn officer on this forum that has answered has stated they would not have gone hands on ....................
                        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by willbird View Post
                          If you do the "real" math, 40k for 9 mos is equal to 53,200 if they actually worked a full year. Divide that by the classic 2000 hours per year, and you get $26.2 an hour. I wonder how many of those making 55k with their bachelors would LOVE to drop to 53,200 with all those paid holidays and spring break, and the summer off with their health care paid ? :-) ?

Bill
                          Bill

If you do the "real math" you will see that a teacher doesn't get 53,200 for a years work--------------they only get 40,0000 (in this example) They don't have the option of OT or of getting paid for those extra 3 months.

Sure many get jobs during the summer months, but many don't--------that is why MOST teacher contracts allow for the 9 month pay to be prorated over a 12 month period. I know of some teacher that still just get the 9 checks per year.

The bottom line is that they are only contracted for 9 months --------------NOT 12 months, so your 53,200 isn't part of the equations.

Your math doesn't make sense------------------oh it add up, but it just isn't the way real life works.

EVERY teacher I know, and it is more that one or two, puts in a whole lot of time and personally money into their jobs than most other workers. Once again without overtime.
                          Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

Comment

Teachers often do have the ability to work over-time. They get paid extra for early classes, late classes, study sessions, and remedial summer school. Also sports.

Best part is they get vacation weeks in addition to every holiday off. Winter break and long summer breaks.
                            They have scheduled time each day for prep work and grading. It's also not uncommon for students to grade each other. Computer scan sheets.... Or "watch this video tape" for an hour while the teacher does other things.

I'm ok with all of it: just don't make childless people fund it through mandated taxation.
                            Any views or opinions presented by this prenomen are solely those of a burlesque author and do not necessarily represent those of a LEA or caementum couturier.

nom de plume

This is the internet- take all information with a grain of salt. Such could be valid and true or could be typed just for playing devils advocate.

Comment

Teachers often do have the ability to work over-time. They get paid extra for early classes, late classes, study sessions, and remedial summer school. Also sports.

Best part is they get vacation weeks in addition to every holiday off. Winter break and long summer breaks.
                              They have scheduled time each day for prep work and grading. It's also not uncommon for students to grade each other. Computer scan sheets.... Or "watch this video tape" for an hour while the teacher does other things.
                              Around here the only thing they get paid extra for is sports or summer school. They sign contracts for each and every "extra" duty

The vacation week and holidays-----that is no different than any other job-------EXCEPT does YOUR employer mandate your vacation weeks...? Teachers are told what weeks during the 9 month year they will have off........

Except for the schools that are now going year round..........................3 months on, one month off -----and continue ......

I'm ok with all of it: just don't make childless people fund it through mandated taxation.
                              That is why it is called PUBLIC school. It is funded by the public.--------like most other public services.

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                                ------EXCEPT does YOUR employer mandate your vacation weeks...? Teachers are told what weeks during the 9 month year they will have off......
                                Like when school is closed? I think they all go in knowing when, what's to complain about?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6181 users online. 332 members and 5849 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X