X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hopperja
    replied
    Originally posted by ryker View Post
    Teachers often do have the ability to work over-time. They get paid extra for early classes, late classes, study sessions, and remedial summer school. Also sports. ...
    Emphasis added

Where are you getting your information? In my experience, "often" is a stretch. Perhaps 1 teacher per elementary school can get paid extra for some extra activity. That's 1 out of every 30 (at the best) elementary school teachers. Sure there are more in MS and HS, but still it's not a majority.

Imagine in LE if only specialty assignments got overtime opportunities (SWAT, FTO, K9, etc). Anyone else didn't get OT. That's what it's like in public education. Sure, some do get OT, but most don't. How do you figure "often?" What's your personal experience with K-12 public education other than a taxpayer? Are/were you or your wife in the public schools?

Leave a comment:

• Magic Matt
    replied
    Teachers often do have the ability to work over-time. They get paid extra for early classes, late classes, study sessions, and remedial summer school. Also sports.

Best part is they get vacation weeks in addition to every holiday off. Winter break and long summer breaks.
    They have scheduled time each day for prep work and grading. It's also not uncommon for students to grade each other. Computer scan sheets.... Or "watch this video tape" for an hour while the teacher does other things.

I'm ok with all of it: just don't make childless people fund it through mandated taxation.

No extra pay here, planning half period is taken away by meetings almost every day, mandatory after school meetings once a week until 6pm, she works about two hours a night on school work, goes in on every other Saturdays to work in her class, all for no extra pay. They are not allowed to show tapes without approval (rarely happens), even the ones the school pays for in the science kits…

BTW, I’m not a fan of the government run public education system either and whish it was replaced by a capitalist system, but your full of BS.

Leave a comment:

• JasperST
    replied
    Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
    I dont' hear anyone complaining except you and ryker.

The fact is still the fact-------------------------you get to pick your vacations, they don't.
    How am I complaining by pointing out the facts? If you seek a job with a known vacation period, and a long one at that, how is that a flaw?

Leave a comment:

• Iowa #1603
    replied
    Originally posted by JasperST View Post
    Like when school is closed? I think they all go in knowing when, what's to complain about?
    I dont' hear anyone complaining except you and ryker.

The fact is still the fact-------------------------you get to pick your vacations, they don't.

Leave a comment:

• JasperST
    replied
    Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
    ------EXCEPT does YOUR employer mandate your vacation weeks...? Teachers are told what weeks during the 9 month year they will have off......
    Like when school is closed? I think they all go in knowing when, what's to complain about?

Leave a comment:

• Iowa #1603
    replied
    Teachers often do have the ability to work over-time. They get paid extra for early classes, late classes, study sessions, and remedial summer school. Also sports.

Best part is they get vacation weeks in addition to every holiday off. Winter break and long summer breaks.
    They have scheduled time each day for prep work and grading. It's also not uncommon for students to grade each other. Computer scan sheets.... Or "watch this video tape" for an hour while the teacher does other things.
    Around here the only thing they get paid extra for is sports or summer school. They sign contracts for each and every "extra" duty

The vacation week and holidays-----that is no different than any other job-------EXCEPT does YOUR employer mandate your vacation weeks...? Teachers are told what weeks during the 9 month year they will have off........

Except for the schools that are now going year round..........................3 months on, one month off -----and continue ......

I'm ok with all of it: just don't make childless people fund it through mandated taxation.
    That is why it is called PUBLIC school. It is funded by the public.--------like most other public services.

Leave a comment:

• ryker
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Iowa #1603
    replied
    Originally posted by willbird View Post
    If you do the "real" math, 40k for 9 mos is equal to 53,200 if they actually worked a full year. Divide that by the classic 2000 hours per year, and you get $26.2 an hour. I wonder how many of those making 55k with their bachelors would LOVE to drop to 53,200 with all those paid holidays and spring break, and the summer off with their health care paid ? :-) ?

Bill
    Bill

If you do the "real math" you will see that a teacher doesn't get 53,200 for a years work--------------they only get 40,0000 (in this example) They don't have the option of OT or of getting paid for those extra 3 months.

Sure many get jobs during the summer months, but many don't--------that is why MOST teacher contracts allow for the 9 month pay to be prorated over a 12 month period. I know of some teacher that still just get the 9 checks per year.

The bottom line is that they are only contracted for 9 months --------------NOT 12 months, so your 53,200 isn't part of the equations.

Your math doesn't make sense------------------oh it add up, but it just isn't the way real life works.

EVERY teacher I know, and it is more that one or two, puts in a whole lot of time and personally money into their jobs than most other workers. Once again without overtime.

Leave a comment:

• Iowa #1603
    replied
    Originally posted by Gunner.K19 View Post
    Honestly, I have no friggin' clue how to respond to something like this...

The kid appeared threatening with a sharpened piece of wood; where was adult supervision during the time he obtained/found this piece of wood in the school and began sharpening it?

Where did the kid get the "item" to sharpen the stick? Was it a knife, or a pair of those dull "butterfly" craft scissors you get 10 for a buck at Ben Franklin?

And lastly, the kid weighs 82 pounds. Menacing or not with a sharp stick, could not ONE adult be found in the school to quickly disarm the young miscreant? Really, this was not a case of Mr. Milquetoast teacher Vs. Hulk Hogan; has society de-volved so badly that an adult cannot take charge of a situation like this? Yeah, Mr. M might get a scrape or poke on the wrist, put a band aid on it and control the situation, it's in your building after all, surely you must have even minimal procedures to handle such things...
    Thank you Mr Security Guard.

If you note------------------EVERY trained, sworn officer on this forum that has answered has stated they would not have gone hands on ....................

Leave a comment:

• Gunner.K19
    replied
    Honestly, I have no friggin' clue how to respond to something like this...

The kid appeared threatening with a sharpened piece of wood; where was adult supervision during the time he obtained/found this piece of wood in the school and began sharpening it?

Where did the kid get the "item" to sharpen the stick? Was it a knife, or a pair of those dull "butterfly" craft scissors you get 10 for a buck at Ben Franklin?

And lastly, the kid weighs 82 pounds. Menacing or not with a sharp stick, could not ONE adult be found in the school to quickly disarm the young miscreant? Really, this was not a case of Mr. Milquetoast teacher Vs. Hulk Hogan; has society de-volved so badly that an adult cannot take charge of a situation like this? Yeah, Mr. M might get a scrape or poke on the wrist, put a band aid on it and control the situation, it's in your building after all, surely you must have even minimal procedures to handle such things...

Leave a comment:

• willbird
    replied
    Originally posted by willowdared View Post
    Funny, I put 40k at just over 3k a month. And that's after 12 years. That's about $13 an hour, if teachers only worked a 40 hour work week.

The average income for most people with a bachelor's is 55k...master's is 75k

http://www.payscale.com/research/US/...lary/by_Degree

Average teacher's salary:

http://www.payscale.com/research/US/...eachers/Salary
    If you do the "real" math, 40k for 9 mos is equal to 53,200 if they actually worked a full year. Divide that by the classic 2000 hours per year, and you get $26.2 an hour. I wonder how many of those making 55k with their bachelors would LOVE to drop to 53,200 with all those paid holidays and spring break, and the summer off with their health care paid ? :-) ?

Bill

Leave a comment:

• EmmaPeel
    replied
    Originally posted by oneoldcop View Post
    That, is privileged information...
    I bet when you went to the confessional, the Priests saw you coming and you had to do a gazillion Hail Mary's. Am I right, LOL?

Leave a comment:

• EmmaPeel
    replied
    Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
    You too Emma? Yeah Sister did a little "stick time" on me. So did my Mom when I got home with the note from Sister. Bullies were just about nonexistent too, but when one showed up he was dealt with. The kid who did it didn't have to apologize either.
    LOL. Those were the good ole days, and yep, it was a double wammy cuz then you got "it" again when you got home. I credit Catholic School with not having to take remedial English when I got to college, and I still credit those Nuns to this day with my being able to use punctuation properly. Fear DID work as a motivator, lol.

Originally posted by oneoldcop View Post
    You guys must have been good kids, I got to see the priest on occasion; not so pleasant memories...And then the fear and dread of going home and facing those consequences...
    That's right! How could I forget taking fear up a notch with the threat of being sent to the PRIEST! LOL. Must be repressed memories.
    Originally posted by jcioccke View Post
    ^^^^

What did you do??? LOL

I never made it to the priest..
    Yes, yes, jcioccke, I can see you charming the nuns.

Leave a comment:

• Magic Matt
    replied
    Originally posted by JasperST View Post
    As far as the income goes, nearly 4 grand a month is excellent wages, especially in this economy. As far as the job goes, she still gets a check, correct?
    Actually after they take out everything it’s more like 2k per month. Most of the cops in my area are taking home in the 50K’s or 60K’s, some supervisors I know are pulling over 100K, and even with mandatory overtime (that I get paid 1.5X for) I work less hours than she does.
    I don’t know why she does it, and to get screwed with by the administration, it’s not good enough that she always, years after year, produces the highest scoring kids in her grade, it’s always wrong.

Leave a comment:

• jcioccke
    replied
    You better make confession my friend if you haven't. Just happy to see you made it and "grew up" I always assumed no one returned from there. lol

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2724 users online. 142 members and 2582 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X