300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by willowdared View Post
    I'm not sure where you live, but the majority of teachers do not make high salaries, nor do they have "sweet" pensions. They are also required by many school districts to continue their education...many require not just a teaching certificate, but bachelor's and master's degrees. They also spend their own money on school supplies, not to mention spend hours of their own time developing lesson plans, grading papers and helping struggling students.
    God forbid that they start their own business. They'll pine for those days! They don't get rich but they seem to be doing pretty good around here. All the teachers I know live in much bigger houses. Even the single ones.

Comment

To sum up:
      - clients:
      - - mom, teachers, students, and "Aidan";
      - Aidan:
      - - history of aggressive behaviour;
      - - started out aggressive on the way TO school;
      - - got WORSE at school;
      - - obtained a weapon-of-opportunity;
      - - edged his chosen weapon;
      - - devised a method to defeat (if only partially) OC spray;
      - - would not, or not emotionally capable of, abiding by calm direction;
      - Police:
      - - called in as Aidan progressed in his aggression;
      - - have dealt with him previously;
      - - MOST LIKELY tried to "talk" to Aidan;
      - - chose to NOT use a blunt-force-trauma-inducing defensive impact weapon;
      - - resolved the incidence without permanent physical damage to Aidan or anyone else.

Coffee first, THEN we can all go home!
      #32936 - Royal Canadian Mounted Police - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
      Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 to date
      RCMP Veterans Association - Regina Division member
      Mounted Police Professional Association of Canada - Associate (Retired) member
      "Smile" - no!

Comment

Originally posted by JasperST View Post
        God forbid that they start their own business. They'll pine for those days! They don't get rich but they seem to be doing pretty good around here. All the teachers I know live in much bigger houses. Even the single ones.
        My wife’s teacher pension will be 1.3% per year @ age 60, and as a 12 year teacher makes $40k…

Teachers at the Middle school she worked last year would get into trouble for writing to many referrals, and this year, her elementary school like the middle, the principle takes the parents side against the teacher who is being unfair to little Tommy, he's the victim, the teacher is always wrong and if you don’t like it find another job…
        Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Comment

Maybe the mother would have preferred a Taser.
          Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
          Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Plain and simpe: An incorrigible child is the product of inept parenting.
            This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

I see the mom and other's keep complaining that the teachers and cops werent trained to handle a "special" child. Funny, I thought we trained teachers to teach, not administer to retard kids...

Comment

Originally posted by Magic Matt View Post
                My wife’s teacher pension will be 1.3% per year ...
                That would be nice. My wife's pension will be 1% per year. After 30 years, she will be afforded a generous retirement of 30% of her annual average of the high 5 years! At the top of the current pay scale, topped out for education and experience, 30% would be in the neighborhood of $21,000. That's IF she's at the top of the pay scale for at least 5 years.

In the meantime, her profession is being labeled greedy and some like to scapegoat every teacher as lazy for doing a poor job of educating their students. The 138 hrs per week a student spends outside of school has nothing to do with how they do the 30 hrs a week they are in school. It's those lazy, overpaid teachers!

For the record, in WA, teachers must have a 4-year college degree. And, they have to do 30 hours of in-service (most often unpaid time) per year to maintain certification. My wife works at least 5 hrs of unpaid time every school week planning, grading papers, etc. (that's a total of about 180 hrs/year).

Back to the original topic: maybe next time that kid will think twice about his behavior now that he's had a painful consequence.
                Last edited by hopperja; 04-06-2011, 11:54 PM.

Comment

Imagine how the headlines would have read if the boy got hit with a bean bag round.
                  Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

Originally posted by JasperST View Post
                    It's a shame that with so many adults around the police had to be called. I would have liked to ask the mom how many whacks she gave the brat when she got him home. "None, you say? How's that working out?"
                    I was thinking the same thing regarding having to call the police. As for the corporal punishment, heck I remember grade school when the Nuns could use a ruler on our knuckles. Not one minute was wasted being distracted by discipline issues.

Comment

Originally posted by DAL View Post
                      Maybe the mother would have preferred a Taser.
                      NYPD
                      Exam Taken 10/31/09
                      Exam: #0308 Score:91.XXX%
                      List Number: 5xx

PPB
                      Exam: Passed
                      PAT: Passed
                      Oral Board: Passed
                      Background Investigation: Ongoing

Massachusetts Civil Service
                      Exam: 4/30 Awaiting Results

NPD CSO Summer 2011.

Comment

Oh please! That mother needs to shut the heck up and parent her child. Get him the help he needs before he hurts someone. Help him now, or wait for him to end up a serial killer. Putting him in the national spot light was wrong too, the kid deserved the pepper spray. If he was one of mine, his hide would have been tanned when he got home.
                        Originally posted by JasperST
                        "The fail is strong with this one."

Originally posted by mdrep
                        It's not sporting old chap. Like shooting fish in a barrel. You may only take a shot at a poser or troll if they are running and you are properly licensed.

What do you think we are, a bunch of barbarians?

Comment

That's close to where I work. Not surprising they're upset since you can't even use a ruler on a kid like that anymore. Reminds me of a group in California that was protesting the use of red pens for grading. They actually quoted them saying "it just screams out this is what you did wrong"... I think it's time to actually wake up and raise kids properly.
                          --In serving the wicked, expect no reward, and be thankful if you escape injury for your pains.

Comment

Originally posted by ryker View Post
                            Taxes for a system that I have no kids in. My parents and grandparents still pay property taxes. All three of my neighbors pays for schools and don't have kids.
                            The public school taxation is massive! That's what got me irked. We buy used junk cars for patrol. Carry. Shotgun older than I am... Yet teachers roll it in. Weekends off. Holidays off. Summer months off.
                            First of all...everyone benefits from an educated society.

Second... Teachers roll it in?!?!?!? Where is my roll? In my opinion, I don't make anywhere near what I am worth. As far as summers off, holidays off... teachers don't get paid for days off. I get paid to teach 187 days a year, that is it. There isn't a teacher I know that gets paid for summer break. We get paid thru breaks and holidays because our checks are prorated. Do I teach more then 187 days a year, you bet I do. This week is Spring Break for my school district.

Did I go on a vacation?? Nope, can't afford it.
                            Did I "work"? Every day of it.
                            Did I go to my school to work? I have every day this week, and will go on Thursday.
                            Will I get paid for it... not a dime!!

When you have a day off, do you go into work and do paperwork? My guess is most of you don't. If you stay late doing paperwork, do you get paid for it - you do, it's called overtime. Never heard of in my profession. I teach for 8 hours a day, and stay about 4 hours after or before school just doing paperwork. You thinking working a DUI takes a lot of paperwork, try doing an alternative assessment or preparing for an ARC meeting. I can't tell my student to hang out in the hallway, I have paperwork to do. That is done on my own time, at my own expense.

Do I have to do the paperwork? Only if I want to keep my job. Only if I want my kids to succeed.
                            Do I attend the mandatory meetings and professional development? Everyone of them.
                            Do I get paid for them? Occasionally a profession development will offer a stipend, but it rarely covers the gas needed to get there.

Please don't take what I am saying as complaining, I am just putting it out there for you to think about. I love what I do. I am good at what I do - just like you are.
                            When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me."

Comment

Originally posted by EmmaPeel View Post
                              I was thinking the same thing regarding having to call the police. As for the corporal punishment, heck I remember grade school when the Nuns could use a ruler on our knuckles. Not one minute was wasted being distracted by discipline issues.
                              You too Emma? Yeah Sister did a little "stick time" on me. So did my Mom when I got home with the note from Sister. Bullies were just about nonexistent too, but when one showed up he was dealt with. The kid who did it didn't have to apologize either.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
                                You too Emma? Yeah Sister did a little "stick time" on me. So did my Mom when I got home with the note from Sister. Bullies were just about nonexistent too, but when one showed up he was dealt with. The kid who did it didn't have to apologize either.
                                You guys must have been good kids, I got to see the priest on occasion; not so pleasant memories...And then the fear and dread of going home and facing those consequences...
                                It's not the will to win that matters...everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters.
                                Paul "Bear" Bryant

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5750 users online. 357 members and 5393 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X