Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• COpd
    replied
    I think the real problem here is the folks the media gives coverage to. Why are they always the ones who are looking for something to be wrong someones actions? It's because the only way they know to get ratings is to start drama.

If the kid was successful at hurting someone, these same people would be screaming "why didn't the police OC him?" My simple answer is the people complaining bout this are the ones referred to in the old "you can't please everyone".
    Come to think of it, they're probably the same folks that happen to know a friend of a friend that was wronged by a police officer but can't expand upon it in detail conveniently. I get those every now and then when I bring up law enforcement with people...

Leave a comment:

• hopperja
    replied
    Originally posted by ryker View Post
    http://www.fldoe.org/ARM/files/Teacher_Pay_Review.pdf

In Fla there are over 15 different ways. See page 37.
    Base pay, bonus pay, extra pay and headcount pay. Can range to
    An extra 10k per teacher in Fla. See page 36 for the amounts.
    It is true, some teachers have access to extra pay. Most don't. Again, "often" is a stretch.

P. 35 of the report you reference is particularly interesting. I wonder what the bias is of whoever wrote it. For example, teacher daily pay is calculated at 196 days per year. The annual salary, divided by the number of days worked, makes for an average daily rate. Naturally, the lower the number of days worked the higher the daily rate. So, teacher pay is calculated in this report as 365 days per year minus weekends minus holidays/vacations = 196 days of work per year. On the other hand, the occupations that are compared to teachers assume 260 days per year worked. That's 52 - 5 day work weeks per year = 260 days. As most, if not all, employees take time off during the year, they don't work 260 days. In other words, the average daily salary of teacher jobs is calculated with time off subtracted out, but the report doesn't subtract out time off for calculating salaries of non-teacher jobs. This has the logical effect of over-stating a teacher's daily wage while under-stating the non-teacher's wage. I wonder why they did it that way...

Leave a comment:

• OneAdam12
    replied
    Originally posted by LaPlaca View Post
    was my first thought as well. funny how everyone needs a class on how to parent her brat except her....
    +1 Brilliant!

Leave a comment:

• Iowa #1603
    replied
    Originally posted by Gunner.K19 View Post
    Yes, and if you'll notice, I never said anything about a sworn Police Officer taking charge, I asked why one of the "Adults" already present didn't...

LEO's have better things to attend to than a belligerent schoolchild; If the parents had brought the child up better, this whole incident would have been a non-issue...

But, I do thank you for at least calling MISTER Security guard...
    Many police departments have for quite some time employed SRO (Student Resource Officers) who's job it is to work in the schools. In larger cities there are entire divisions dedicated to being "school cops". In fact there are some DEPARTMENTS that are School District Police in some states.

And it is the job of all police officers to protect the citizens of the jurisdiction--------------the teachers at the school are part of that jurisdiction. Police are called to schools all the time to handle problems

Most teachers are taught not to go hands on with students--------they are instructed to call the police.

Leave a comment:

• oneoldcop
    replied
    Originally posted by EmmaPeel View Post
    I bet when you went to the confessional, the Priests saw you coming and you had to do a gazillion Hail Mary's. Am I right, LOL?
    You know it's bad when you walk in and kneel down and the priest goes uhhnnn, not you again...

eta (I think we're hijacking this thread... )

Leave a comment:

• mumjw15
    replied
    Just more politically correct bs. The police would of never had to come if the mom had properly raised her child with values such as respect and good behavior etiquette. The police would of never had to come if someone at the school had the stones to discipline and set ground rules for that child. So the police show up and do the only reasonable act and get hammered for it. Its a slippery slope and society slipped a long time ago.

Leave a comment:

• Redders
    replied
    Not even close to the same. As I could use the county roads if I wanted. Then such road taxation is based on the amount I drive using fuel taxes.

Yet the amount I pay for your kids school is based on how nice my house is. This summer when I add a garage i will then e taxed MoRe. All the while parents get nice fat tax breaks on income taxes.

Don't mind paying a small amount to help your kids and maybe if they become productive members of society then perhaps it's worth it. Just don't see why I must pay for school taxes for the next 60yrs. My wife and I will never have kids. and for damn sure don't like paying for kids like this!
    But some one educated by the school system you pay taxes to will never provide you a service at some point?

Leave a comment:

• LaPlaca
    replied
    Originally posted by Stpn2me View Post
    I see the mom and other's keep complaining that the teachers and cops werent trained to handle a "special" child. Funny, I thought we trained teachers to teach, not administer to retard kids...
    was my first thought as well. funny how everyone needs a class on how to parent her brat except her....

Leave a comment:

• Smurfette_76
    replied
    I actually agree with Ryker.

Leave a comment:

• jeffIL
    replied
    Not even close to the same. As I could use the county roads if I wanted. Then such road taxation is based on the amount I drive using fuel taxes.

Yet the amount I pay for your kids school is based on how nice my house is. This summer when I add a garage i will then e taxed MoRe. All the while parents get nice fat tax breaks on income taxes.
    O
    Don't mind paying a small amount to help your kids and maybe if they become productive members of society then perhaps it's worth it. Just don't see why I must pay for school taxes for the next 60yrs. My wife and I will never have kids. and for damn sure don't like paying for kids like this!
    It is what it is. Education is a part of the community. You just refuse to see that. You pay for police and fire without using them. You pay for roads wihout using them as well as other infrastructure.

Leave a comment:

• ryker
    replied

Last edited by ryker; 04-09-2011, 11:29 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Redders
    replied
    So teachers don't get earned vacation days above and beyond the summer amd winter breaks?

Employees accrue paid vacation starting with 10 hours per month, 12 hours per month after 5 years, up to 14 hours per month after 10 years.

Again I don't mind teachers getting paid well- just question why childless homes must pay for it!

Do you often use the county road system? Even if it is on the other side of the county and you've never been in that area? Same concept.

Leave a comment:

• ryker
    replied
    Originally posted by hopperja View Post
    Emphasis added

Where are you getting your information? In my experience, "often" is a stretch. Perhaps 1 teacher per elementary school can get paid extra for some extra activity. That's 1 out of every 30 (at the best) elementary school teachers. Sure there are more in MS and HS, but still it's not a majority.

Imagine in LE if only specialty assignments got overtime opportunities (SWAT, FTO, K9, etc). Anyone else didn't get OT. That's what it's like in public education. Sure, some do get OT, but most don't. How do you figure "often?" What's your personal experience with K-12 public education other than a taxpayer? Are/were you or your wife in the public schools?
    http://www.fldoe.org/ARM/files/Teacher_Pay_Review.pdf

In Fla there are over 15 different ways. See page 37.
    Base pay, bonus pay, extra pay and headcount pay. Can range to
    An extra 10k per teacher in Fla. See page 36 for the amounts.
    Last edited by ryker; 04-09-2011, 11:18 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ryker
    replied
    So teachers don't get earned vacation days above and beyond the summer amd winter breaks?

Employees accrue paid vacation starting with 10 hours per month, 12 hours per month after 5 years, up to 14 hours per month after 10 years.

Again I don't mind teachers getting paid well- just question why childless homes must pay for it!
    Last edited by ryker; 04-09-2011, 10:06 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Gunner.K19
    replied
    Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
    Thank you Mr Security Guard.

If you note------------------EVERY trained, sworn officer on this forum that has answered has stated they would not have gone hands on ....................
    Yes, and if you'll notice, I never said anything about a sworn Police Officer taking charge, I asked why one of the "Adults" already present didn't...

LEO's have better things to attend to than a belligerent schoolchild; If the parents had brought the child up better, this whole incident would have been a non-issue...

But, I do thank you for at least calling MISTER Security guard...

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2632 users online. 137 members and 2495 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X