300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cop to Dispatcher

I was wondering if anyone has considered making a change to dispatch form the streets. I ask because I have been think about it. I don’t know how common it is and if it’s a hard transition. I’m just getting tired of the streets and everything that comes with being out there. If anyone has any experience with this I’d love to hear about it.

Well, the transition usually works in the reverse. The Dispatcher transitions to Officer. I don't know you, I don't know the agency you work for, nor do I know the circumstances under which you are currently working. In a very general sense I can tell you, that you'd probably be taking a pay cut, and with no real reduction in the stress level. If you're getting tired of the streets (and it happens) I suggest you seek some counseling from a supervisor you trust or even from another Officer. At the end of that, and if you still don't want to be out there, it's probably time for you to consider a change. By that I mean leaving law enforcement altogether. It's a major call, but if you make the call, there's nothing dishonorable about it either. Hope things work out for you.

Comment

As previously said, only you know your situation, but on a personal note, I wouldn't recommend it. My agency is short handed on dispatchers, so I usually get pulled to dispatch about once a week. I can't stand it. PhilipCal is right that the stress level isn't any better; I think it's worse. Where I work, if I get pulled inside, I'm by myself. It's either completely dead and minutes feel like hours and I can't go anywhere, or it's busy and I'm trying to run 2 radio channels, 2 computers, an alarm system, 3 phone lines and deal with the people that walk in the lobby. It's not a hard job, its just very tedious and after being used to the freedom of a patrol car, it gets really old really fast.

Just my .02
      I'd rather live one day as a lion, than a dozen years as a sheep.

Comment

I am considering part time dispatching when I am eligible to work for the system again. (We must stay out of IPERS retirement jobs for 4 months when we retire....)

I am trying to think of someone who has quit the streets and went to radio------but can't ever remember anyone I know of................I do know several retired cops who have done it...........
        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

I've known one who has made the transition you are thinking about. He makes less money, but he is happier.

Comment

We have a dispatcher who is a retired (medically) deputy. We have a few that work per diem on phones only (all medically retired) and some that are still active that work OT.

Can you ride-along with dispatch? It's really a temperament issue, and your ability to multi-task.
            Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

sigpic

Comment

Wow!! About the only reason I could think of that would lead me to wanting to transfer into dispatch is if I was riding around in my patrol vehicle and it had an exhaust leak that lead to the killing of brain cells. As long as I'm able to be a road cop, there isn't a chance in he** that I would want to be in dispatch....just a whole different set of problems. Do you think you could actually go from a job of action to one of sitting??
              Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"

Comment

Well I talked to my Lt. today he said that he went through a phase like I am having, he told me to put in for a short leave to get my head back in the game. So I think thats what I'm going to do. Ya'll are right who would want to give up the freedoms
                that we enjoy. So I'll give it shot and after my leave maybe I'll love it again.

Thanks all

Comment

Originally posted by texasone View Post
                  Well I talked to my Lt. today he said that he went through a phase like I am having, he told me to put in for a short leave to get my head back in the game. So I think thats what I'm going to do. Ya'll are right who would want to give up the freedoms
                  that we enjoy. So I'll give it shot and after my leave maybe I'll love it again.

Thanks all
                  Good choice!! Now I won't have to list all the reasons why it would be a terrible decision and you would regret it every second...
                  Originally posted by RSGSRT
                  We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
                  Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

Yes, sir, I do - ME! I am doing it more to help out the Service, so that the dispatchers can use their leave, and so the officers do not have to come off the road to sit on the desk. Its a small Service - 19 total, 4 shifts of 1 Sgt, 3 Constables & 1 dispatcher each. There are 2 of us casual dispatchers - the other is filling in for the 1 male dispatcher who is on paternity leave. I have 75 hours this month (6 shifts plus a montly briefing / training session) scheduled so far.

This Service uses the same records management service my old Force still uses, we have a separate radio channel on the Province-wide new radio system, and we have to dispatch for Fire which is a separate Agency.

The per-hour rate is far above minimum wage, I have worked with most of these members for the past 18 years, and they seem to like my work, so no problems here. Its pretty much an extension of heaven-on-earth...as long as the d a m n e d computers do not go off-line!
                    #32936 - Royal Canadian Mounted Police - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
                    Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 to date
                    RCMP Veterans Association - Regina Division member
                    Mounted Police Professional Association of Canada - Associate (Retired) member
                    "Smile" - no!

Comment

We have one at our agency that made the switch. By golly he is the best damn dispatcher I've ever seen too. Crap gets done without having to ask because he has been out on the road and knows.....

I should also add he is extremely happy with the switch.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5069 users online. 310 members and 4759 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X