Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Richmond cops allegedly hired, armed teen Explorers

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...MNNA1IO6BD.DTL

The FBI and the Richmond Police Department are investigating allegations that two officers recruited teens from the department's Explorer program into their private security firm, illegally armed them with guns and sent them to patrol the city's most dangerous housing complexes, The Chronicle has learned.

After two of the Explorers complained about their jobs, they had a falling-out with their mentors. The officers then hired a private investigator who used attractive decoys to try to coax one of the young men into a drunken-driving arrest, according to the women who took part in the setup.

The young man, Sergio Rios, now 21, and his best friend, 22-year-old Orlando Torres, are at the center of the investigation. The officers, Danny Harris and Ray Thomas, are on paid leave and have accused their department of targeting them because they are African American.

For years, the officers headed a program created to give aspiring cops a first look at the job. But Rios and Torres told The Chronicle that Harris illegally bought them pistols for guard duty when they were 19 and 20 years old, respectively.

The young men said they gave Harris $500 apiece to buy the guns, which came with high-capacity magazines that civilians cannot legally carry in California.

Under federal law, people under 21 cannot buy handguns, and buying a gun for another person - regardless of age - is considered an illegal "straw purchase." Rios said he was 19 at the time Harris bought his gun, and Torres said he was 20.

"Usually you look at cops as role models, not people who want to destroy you," said Torres, who now works in loss prevention for a major retailer and still wants to become a police officer.

Several sources said the FBI is investigating the officers, which Rios and Torres confirmed. An agency spokesman declined to comment.

Thomas said in an interview with The Chronicle that he had done nothing wrong, and an attorney for Harris declined to comment.

Side business
    The ongoing investigation into these allegations is the latest to involve Christopher Butler, a private investigator and former Antioch police officer who has been accused of working with other law enforcement contacts to set up people for arrest - much in the same way that Rios believes Butler targeted him using the decoys.

Butler, 49, was arrested Feb. 16 along with a state narcotics officer and has pleaded not guilty to charges of selling drugs stolen from evidence lockers.

Richmond Police Chief Chris Magnus said he could not speak in detail about Harris and Thomas because they are part of an ongoing investigation by the Police Department and because they have confidentiality rights.

Magnus did say his department bars officers from moonlighting in private security. Records show that the department ordered Harris and Thomas to stop, but that they did not.

"If you have a police officer operating a security company, that has the potential to give them an unfair competitive advantage," Magnus said. "It suggests they're bringing to bear the resources of the police agency they are working for."

In an interview, Thomas confirmed that he and Harris started a security business and that Magnus disapproved of it. But he said the department's policy was unfair, and that he had started the business after getting permission in 2005 from then-Police Chief Terry Hudson. Hudson could not be reached for comment.

Racism charge
    Magnus, Thomas said, is targeting him and Harris because they accused the chief of discrimination in an ongoing lawsuit filed in June 2010, after the department began its investigation. Both officers are African American.

Magnus said the charge is "without merit."

Thomas said he did not hire Butler. He called former Explorers Rios and Torres "compulsive liars."

"We have done nothing wrong," Thomas said. "These guys have done everything they can to sabotage us."

i read this article.. and if i read it right... If your department does not allow you to work another job for reasons, then except it or find another job that allows you to do so! Do not disgrace the Badge! It sounds like these officer's choice there path with wrong intensions.. sounds like these officer are playing a race card to find another way out.. and if this story is true.. these officer are disquesting in my book!

Comment

Originally posted by deputymel View Post
      these officer are disquesting in my book!
      Whats the name of this book, id like to read it.
      Last edited by dontcallmeradio; 04-05-2011, 08:09 PM.
      Have you ever fired your gun up in the air and gone "ahhrgh"? -Danny Butterman

"I'm sure finding that 11mm wrench at the last minute to fix the flux capacitor or whatever gets those guys out of bed in the morning is probably just as much of an adrenaline shot as blowing over a ton of C4 at one time" - CruiserClass

Comment

you got a few hours.. we can do it over dinner and drinks and more drinks!! my book is in my head! i would love to really express how i feel, but i can't.. i try my best not to be so over the top with expressing!!!

Comment

Originally posted by dontcallmeradio View Post
          The idiots guide to stupidity.
          It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.

Comment

Originally posted by dontcallmeradio View Post
            How to screw up a perfectly stated post by not using spell checker.

By deputymel

Amazon.com for $1.99 plus $500.00 shipping and handling.
            Last edited by OneAdam12; 04-05-2011, 08:04 PM.
            Pete Malloy, "The only thing black and white about this job is the car."

Comment

$500.00 S&H pffft
              Last edited by dontcallmeradio; 04-05-2011, 08:29 PM.
              Have you ever fired your gun up in the air and gone "ahhrgh"? -Danny Butterman

"I'm sure finding that 11mm wrench at the last minute to fix the flux capacitor or whatever gets those guys out of bed in the morning is probably just as much of an adrenaline shot as blowing over a ton of C4 at one time" - CruiserClass

Comment

thank you very much mr. oneadam12! maybe i dont have spell check on this link Mr. English! but thank you for telling me!!! i will make sure i mis spell words all the time!!! its not about the spelling that matters, its about the meaning of where i am or what i am writing about! i do not take the time when i read anyone's comments if something sounds right or spelled right! i take the time to see if i can relate or understand where they are coming from or can help or give advise..

Comment

i will also add to this post which i noticed after I posted, I do not also waste nor take the time to insult someone on here if I do not have to with the idiot who's got a pinky stuffed sideways in his nose! but see, i dropped to your level!

Comment

Nahh it's about proper grammar and spelling.

Comment

well, i will make sure i do my best for all of you out there! don't blame me, blame this lap top I am on. I can't figure out how to use spell check due to a blocker because of this site.. it's weird! I can't do other things either while I am on this site, because of a blocker! so to help with the spelling and grahmer.. dlfkghdfklghdkghnadgbnadkfgjnd;lfkha;dlkgnsdlgkn;d lkghdlfkndklgn and enjoy your night

Comment

Originally posted by sweetcynic View Post
                        The officers, Danny Harris and Ray Thomas, are on paid leave and have accused their department of targeting them because they are African American.
                        Oh, yeah, 'cause you guys are the only two African-American police officers in California.

Under federal law, people under 21 cannot buy handguns, and buying a gun for another person - regardless of age - is considered an illegal "straw purchase." Rios said he was 19 at the time Harris bought his gun, and Torres said he was 20.
                        This is classic news-media misinformation. Under federal law, a person under 21 may not purchase a handgun from a licensed firearm dealer. Absent any state law to the contrary, a person under 21 may purchase a handgun from a private individual or receive a handgun as a gift. A "straw purchase" takes place when one individual purchases a firearm for another person who can not legally possess a firearm. Assuming that both of the Explorers could legally possess a handgun, then while it represented bad judgment, it was not a federal crime for the officers to purchase handguns and resell them to the Explorers. State law may apply -- I don't know.
                        "Son, you are a walkin' violation of the laws of nature...But we don't enforce them laws."

I am just a country boy tryin' to make some sense
                        But I'd like to ask the Congress, I'd like to ask the President
                        "Can ya tell me where all the money went?"
                        We might not be broke but we're badly bent!

The Tractors -- "Badly Bent" from the album Owner's Manual

"Common sense. So rare, it should be a super power." Exodus 259

Comment

Originally posted by HeadDoc View Post
                          Oh, yeah, 'cause you guys are the only two African-American police officers in California.

This is classic news-media misinformation. Under federal law, a person under 21 may not purchase a handgun from a licensed firearm dealer. Absent any state law to the contrary, a person under 21 may purchase a handgun from a private individual or receive a handgun as a gift. A "straw purchase" takes place when one individual purchases a firearm for another person who can not legally possess a firearm. Assuming that both of the Explorers could legally possess a handgun, then while it represented bad judgment, it was not a federal crime for the officers to purchase handguns and resell them to the Explorers. State law may apply -- I don't know.
                          Very true. As long as you are follow state law in regards to possession, you are ok.

Comment

Originally posted by HeadDoc View Post

Actually it is also a straw purchase when a person purchases a weapon with the INTENT to turn right back around and sell it to a person under the age of 21 or when they use the minors money to purchase the weapon and then gives it to them. If the officers had used personal money or business money to purchase the weapons and issued them to the minors for the purpose of employment they would have been ok. It is also permissible to sell a firearm to a minor if the firearm had been previously purchased for other purposes. But when they buy it with the intent to turn right back around and sell it to a minor they are purposefully circumventing the law and it is considered a straw purchase too.
                            The only thing I hear when you say anything is "blah blah blah I'm a dirty whore".

Originally posted by Michigan
                            I don't want to sound gay...

But I'd do him.
                            Do you like airplanes and aviation??JOIN http://forums.officer.com/forums/group.php?groupid=20

My goal is to have the longest most annoying signature line ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Green View Post
                              Actually it is also a straw purchase when a person purchases a weapon with the INTENT to turn right back around and sell it to a person under the age of 21 or when they use the minors money to purchase the weapon and then gives it to them. If the officers had used personal money or business money to purchase the weapons and issued them to the minors for the purpose of employment they would have been ok. It is also permissible to sell a firearm to a minor if the firearm had been previously purchased for other purposes. But when they buy it with the intent to turn right back around and sell it to a minor they are purposefully circumventing the law and it is considered a straw purchase too.
                              A person under 21 can buy from an individual and/or receive it as a gift. If the officers used their own money, decided they weren't happy with the gun after they bought it.. they could legally sell it to someone under 21.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5729 users online. 321 members and 5408 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X