• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missouri sheriff accused of distributing meth

Missouri sheriff accused of distributing meth
    Associated Press
    POSTED: 4:16 pm CDT
    April 4, 2011

VAN BUREN, Mo. — A southeast Missouri sheriff was charged Monday with distribution of methamphetamine, a drug that has ravaged rural Missouri over the past decade, authorities said.

Carter County Sheriff Tommy Adams, 31, was arrested Saturday and has been jailed in a neighboring county on $250,000 cash-only bond. He did not yet have an attorney.

Carter County prosecutor Rocky Kingree said in a statement that Adams was arrested after an investigation by his office, the FBI, Van Buren police, the Missouri Division of Fire Safety and the Missouri State Highway Patrol.

Kingree declined an interview request.

Evidence is still under review "as to whether more charges will be filed on Adams and other individuals," Kingree said.

A spokesman for the highway patrol declined comment, but a news release from the patrol said the investigation had been lengthy.

In January 2010, Adams' home in Ellsinore was destroyed by fire. Authorities said at the time that nothing suspicious was found. Authorities would not say if that fire prompted the meth investigation.

A county deputy was also arrested Saturday, but no formal charges were filed.

Coroner Dennis McSpadden is serving as acting sheriff, but has appointed Van Buren city officer Rick Stephens to handle day-to-day operations. McSpadden said the county commission will meet on Tuesday to consider appointing Stephens as acting sheriff.

"It is a sad state of affairs when you have a law enforcement officer tied up in some things he shouldn't be," McSpadden said. "We're trying to get everything back to normal here."

The highway patrol and sheriff departments from surrounding counties are helping to cover Carter County, McSpadden said. "There is no lapse in coverage," he said.

Adams, a Republican, was elected sheriff in November 2008, just weeks after the Democratic incumbent, 47-year-old Greg Melton, fatally shot himself. Melton's name remained on the ballot as Adams' opponent.

Carter County, with about 5,900 residents, sits in an area known as the Ozark Mountain Foothills, not far from the Arkansas border.

http://www.newspressnow.com/localnew...35/detail.html

Wow, Just Wow
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Whoa!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by bearcat357 View Post
        adams, a republican, was elected sheriff in november 2008, just weeks after the democratic incumbent, 47-year-old greg melton, fatally shot himself. Melton's name remained on the ballot as adams' opponent.
        Holy crap! What's going on out there?
        sigpic
        Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun.
        And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son.

Comment

Originally posted by KapsFB View Post
          Holy crap! What's going on out there?
          I hear banjos

"The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws."
          - Cornelius Tacitus

Comment

Originally posted by SCV-Sop View Post
            I hear banjos
            I was just going to say....has to be some small county

Carter County Sheriff Tommy Adams, 31, was arrested Saturday
            like I said, small county

Comment

Anyone remember this show? This thread brought it to mind.
              sigpic
              Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun.
              And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son.

Comment

Originally posted by SCV-Sop View Post
                I hear banjos
                I thought it was 'Paddle faster, I hear banjos'!
                The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

there's more to this story then what is being told to us! come on.. may is around the cornor.. elections?? and November's the big vote.. hum.. we c.. and if its true.. thank god this person or persons got caught! such a shame that people are given a opportunity and in the end, they abuse the powers that they forget when they were sworn in!

Comment

Originally posted by deputymel View Post
                    there's more to this story then what is being told to us! come on.. may is around the cornor.. elections?? and November's the big vote.. hum.. we c.. and if its true.. thank god this person or persons got caught! such a shame that people are given a opportunity and in the end, they abuse the powers that they forget when they were sworn in!
                    The FBI does not usually get involved in 'Podunk County' politics.
                    The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

you said it! FBI.. hum.. that means someone in the DA's office ( high in Da's office or the head of the party ( who ever backs the sheriff) or the county commissioners went left on this whole thing!

Comment

you said it! FBI.. hum.. that means someone in the DA's office ( high in Da's office or the head of the party ( who ever backs the sheriff) or the county commissioners went left on this whole thing!
                        Or the POS was dealing dope and needs to be in jail.

The simplest answer is most often the correct one.

Comment

The simplest answer is most often the correct one

cute, very cute

Comment

Originally posted by LA DEP View Post
                            Or the POS was dealing dope and needs to be in jail.
                            Bingo.....thats why the FBI and Patrol were involved....along with the Fire Marshal (suspicious house fire has them involved) and the local Police (would suspect they heard things about Sheriff selling dope and called the Patrol)....

By MO State Statutes, it's best to let the FBI or the Patrol arrest Da' Sheriff........ or one has to mess with a lot of other garbage if not done that way.....

Most small counties don't have Investigators with PA's Office....and PA's are part-time in smaller counties....

And politics aren't that grand in MO.....folks will turn/rat on others....unlike other parts of the US that will cover because of them......

As noted, the Coroner is now Sheriff.....per MO State Statutes.....
                            Last edited by Bearcat357; 04-05-2011, 04:59 PM. Reason: spelling like dope....

Comment

The simplest answer is most often the correct one

cute, very cute
                              Its called Occam's (sp?) razor. It's not just a cute quote that LA Dep made up. Look it up

My wife's dad's family is all from Van Buren and currently live there. She has family (MSHP, Parks, and Water Patrol) that all live/work down there. I will see if I can get the whole story. But as the others have said, and knowing what I know about that area of MO (I'm from KCMO originally), Dude prolly got in with the dope dealers and thats that. No more or less.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4568 users online. 275 members and 4293 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X