300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre-Qualify Qualify

Just needing some tips. The reserve class im in went to the range yesterday and by the end of the day we did a qualifying run. Now this was just to see where our weaknesses are and what to work on before we qualify Friday. As far as i know, yesterday was the only time at the range we will get before Friday. Have to shoot a 400 or better out of 500 to qualify.

I shot a 462. I know im better at that but im having a few problems with the 25 yrd and off hand. Aiming center mass at 25 yrds and i put one in the 7 ring and none in the 10 ring at 25 yrds.

Any tips on the 25 yrd, or should I ask the chief if there is any way possible to go out this week and shoot dots at 25 yrds.

Now i know, and realize, that 462 is good and is sharp shooter, but its not good enough for me.

Thanks,
    Torrey

IMO, the best way to handle a situation like this is to get some one-on-one time with a good instructor who can watch you shoot and give you pointers for improving your technique. Obviously, there's something that could be improved, but only someone who is watching you can tell what it is. Just doing more shooting won't help unless you can figure out what you need to change.
    "Son, you are a walkin' violation of the laws of nature...But we don't enforce them laws."

I am just a country boy tryin' to make some sense
    But I'd like to ask the Congress, I'd like to ask the President
    "Can ya tell me where all the money went?"
    We might not be broke but we're badly bent!

The Tractors -- "Badly Bent" from the album Owner's Manual

"Common sense. So rare, it should be a super power." Exodus 259

Comment

I do not know if this is what you are looking for but I am guessing you are doing standard shooting, 3 yard line, 7 yard line, and keep moving back in stages until you get to the 25 yard line. I suck at shooting at the 25 yard line so I make sure every shot counts at the closer distance. That is how I pass the test.
      Budda sat in front of a wall and when he stood up he was enlightened. I sat in front of a wall and when I stood up the wall was enlightened.

We forge our skills in the fire of our will.

Comment

Yeah like HeadDoc said, find yourself a qualified instructor.
        A lot of people have problems with the 25 yrd shots because any tiny shooting problem you have is multiplied by the distance.
        So if you have a tendency of slapping the trigger and throwing rounds to the right, you'll throw them FAR right at the 25 yard line.

Comment

Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice,

Combined with a good instructor giving you pointers on technique.

You are evidently a fairly good shot but need to refine your trigger pull.

Do as HeadDoc says and find some time to go one-on-one with an instructor --------an hour or so maximum will give you what you need to know.

Also dry firing....................................
          Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

As stated above, dry fire, practice fundamentals, call your shots. Take a good grip and keep it, don't Hollywood your gun continually shifting the grip. Use a rubber stress ball and weights to strengthen your off hand and arm. Then continue this excersie through your career, it might save your life. Practice good fundamentals. You'll be fine.
            Pete Malloy, "The only thing black and white about this job is the car."

Comment

Jiu-Jitsu, yes start at 25, go to 3, 7, then 15. Whats even worse is at 25 we are allowed to use a post for control or "barricade", and still throwing to the left of center.

Iowa, how will dry firing help? Muscle memory on trigger control?

OneAdam12, thanks for the chart. Going by that it looks like im pushing and tightening fingers at 25.

Comment

If you're throwing them, you're jerking the trigger. Not as noticeable at closer ranges and the further back you go, the more obvious it is. I'm LUCKY LUCKY LUCKY that my husband is a firearms instructor for the State and takes me frequently to the range. He offers assistance to anyone that needs it. Do you have such a person you can contact and ask to take you to a range. You truly do need one there to watch what you're doing and correct the issue. FYI, I jerked the trigger because I had an annoying habit of squeezing my entire hand not merely the finger on the trigger. Always pulled my shot.
                sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

When you fire or dry fire for that matter your trigger release should be a surprise.

This is a good way to diagnose what you are doing.
                  If you have a revolver or access to one, go out with a friend, have him load your gun with 3, 4, 5 rounds at random. When you get to the empty chamber and it goes click, note your actions. If you are anticipating the shot you will know it.

Comment

Smurfette, this was with the chief and a couple of the other officers. I know its something im doing, because when we were just shooting dots the chief proved it was me. Had me shoot left top dot from 3 yrds, i had a group within an inch, but they were all down and left of center. Then the chief had me aim, and he pulled the trigger, and we put 6 shots dead center half inch group. So its definitely something im doing, and just not noticing what im doing. Not sure if after i let slack out, then im jerking or what.

OneAdam, when dry firing or when empty and dont realize it, it feels just as smooth as when live. Have the same focus when empty as when hot. But when empty, i do get the suprise when he doesnt fire, lol.

Anything to do that will help on the jerking of the trigger, or does that just come with range time?

Comment

Get one of these and use it upside down. It will strengthen your trigger finger.

Comment

OneAdam, when dry firing or when empty and dont realize it, it feels just as smooth as when live. Have the same focus when empty as when hot. But when empty, i do get the suprise when he doesnt fire, lol.

You don't notice any flinch or jerk on an empty? You have to not know it is an empty.

What handgun do you have? It could be something on the gun physically interfering with your smooth trigger pull. There were several handguns I disliked because of one reason or another. I wanted a SW M&P double action for years. Then I dry fired one at a gun show. Pinched the hell out of my trigger finger! I hated it. Several autos were just manufactured at the wrong angle for my relaxed grip. I found I was trying to compensate at the last second for my bad grip angle. Went to a 1911 and never looked back. I can still grip it and with my eyes closed, point the gun, open my eyes, and get a sight picture almost instantly.
                        Last edited by OneAdam12; 04-04-2011, 02:08 PM.

Comment

Correct, and this is just going from a rifle point as its been awhile since shooting a pistol until this weekend. I dont count rounds, so when the rifle is empty and all i hear is a click, i dont notice any flinch or jerk. Heck the other day i didnt even realize the slide was locked back on the Glock, when to fire and there was nothing except the chief saying to reload that i was empty. Just didnt realize it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mud_Pig View Post
                            Correct, and this is just going from a rifle point as its been awhile since shooting a pistol until this weekend. I dont count rounds, so when the rifle is empty and all i hear is a click, i dont notice any flinch or jerk. Heck the other day i didnt even realize the slide was locked back on the Glock, when to fire and there was nothing except the chief saying to reload that i was empty. Just didnt realize it.
                            Always count your rounds! You will live longer. You just need more time.

Comment

Little update on this. Taking yalls advice and doing some dry firing this week. Today was qualifying for the reserves, i shot another 462 and a 461.

At 25 yrds this time, i put one round dead center of the x, and 3 more in the 10 ring. My problem this time was on the 15 yrd line, but it was because i wear actual glasses and i had sweat rings on the lens. Which on my end, makes me have to adjust my head to look around the sweat or i cant see. Ill take back to back 460's, all i can do is improve from here.

Thanks for all of the advice and help. Really do appreciate it.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6913 users online. 360 members and 6553 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X