300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Aggravated Speeding" (Illinois)

Ever since the beginning of the year, Illinois has been following its newest traffic law:
    625 ILCS 5/11-601.5
    Aggravated Speeding (30 mph over the posted speeding limit).
    The law changed in 2011 making a speeding ticket for driving 30 mph over the limit a Class B misdemeanor. This type of ticket used to be a fine-only petty offense, but not anymore.
    What is your (LE and/or civilian) perspective on this? I personally love this. Street racing has been down quite a bit in our area and I have noticed a substantial drop in racing calls since it will now show up on their record. Also, for other LE, what is the law(s) regarding speeding in your state?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXzJGA8pyA0
    OPEN KEY - FINAL CALL
    To remember those harshly influenced or killed in the line of duty.

They would be arresting everyone who drives on the Kennedy expressway during non rush periods but then again the only time I see LE on that highway is if there was an accident. Even then wouldn't the officer get to use his discretion whether to cite or arrest if the driver is polite and has a pretty clean if not spotless record? 85 MPH on an mostly empty, dry highway isn't that bad.
    Last edited by MD11pilot; 04-03-2011, 01:03 PM.
    Life is what you make of it

Comment

Originally posted by Exodus259
      I can see it working for the most part here. However, on I55, MOST vehicles are moving at a pace of 70/80-mph. With that new rule, 85mph would be arrestable, but it's basically what the flow of traffic is moving at. I can see people causing fuss over that.
      Originally posted by MD11pilot View Post
      They would be arresting everyone who drives on the Kennedy expressway during non rush periods but then again the only time I see LE on that highway is if there was an accident. Even then wouldn't the officer get to use his discretion whether to cite or arrest if the driver is polite and has a pretty clean if not spotless record? 85 MPH on an mostly empty, dry highway isn't that bad.
      Well, just throwing out there that the State Police are extremely short on officers, which dramatically decreases their effect on that law. This is working more effictively in cities and townships overall IMO though.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXzJGA8pyA0
      OPEN KEY - FINAL CALL
      To remember those harshly influenced or killed in the line of duty.

Comment

In Virginia, 80 mph, or 20 mph over the posted speed limit, is considered in reckless driving. In California, 80 mph is often the normal flow of traffic.
        Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
        Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Here in VT anything 30 mph over the speed limit and at least 60 mph is a misdemeanor...all other speeding violations are civil violations unless it rises to the level of Negligent Operation.

Comment

Most traffic violations are misdemeanors in Missouri (including speeding more than *5* over), doesn't really change how we do business. But I guess it gives judges more options.

Comment

In Virginia, reckless driving is class one Misdemeanor, punishable by up to 12 months in jail, up to a $2,500 fine, and a possible loss of license for up to six months.

The most common form of reckless driving is speeding 20+ over the speed limit...

46.2-862. A person shall be guilty of reckless driving who drives a motor vehicle on the highways in the Commonwealth (i) at a speed of twenty miles per hour or more in excess of the applicable maximum speed limit or (ii) in excess of eighty miles per hour regardless of the applicable maximum speed limit.

Or driving in a manner generally endangering others...

46.2-852. Reckless driving; general rule - Irrespective of the maximum speeds permitted by law, any person who drives a vehicle on any highway recklessly or at a speed or in a manner so as to endanger the life, limb, or property of any person shall be guilty of reckless driving.
              Last edited by Street_Cop50; 04-03-2011, 03:32 PM.
              Look sharp, act sharp, be sharp.

Comment

Wow, never realized 30 mph over is going with the flow of traffic in some places. The state should consider raising the speed limit to say, 65 or 70.

In Ca, I and pretty much everyone else drove about 80 on the 65 mph limit freeways without fear of ticket. But thats only 15 over.

Comment

Well, just throwing out there that the State Police are extremely short on officers,
                  Yeah and their strict hiring standards are not helping, at the auto show one trooper told me that you need to have either 3 years of military experience or 3-4 years of LE experience. Not that many applicants out there who fits the bill it seems.
                  Life is what you make of it

Comment

I find it amusing that in Virginia, police officers routinely drive recklessly. In California, we are not allowed to drive recklessly even when rolling Code 3. Under case law, speeding alone does not constitute reckless driving in California. There is also a separate code section for driving in excess of 100 mph, which is an infraction, punishable only by a fine.
                    Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
                    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Street_Cop50 View Post
                      In Virginia, reckless driving is class one Misdemeanor, punishable by up to 12 months in jail, up to a $2,500 fine, and a possible loss of license for up to six months.

The most common form of reckless driving is speeding 20+ over the speed limit...

46.2-862. A person shall be guilty of reckless driving who drives a motor vehicle on the highways in the Commonwealth (i) at a speed of twenty miles per hour or more in excess of the applicable maximum speed limit or (ii) in excess of eighty miles per hour regardless of the applicable maximum speed limit.

Or driving in a manner generally endangering others...

46.2-852. Reckless driving; general rule - Irrespective of the maximum speeds permitted by law, any person who drives a vehicle on any highway recklessly or at a speed or in a manner so as to endanger the life, limb, or property of any person shall be guilty of reckless driving.
                      Isn't there something up with that law in regards to out of state drivers? I'm trying to remember if it is Virginia....
                      This show is awesome, wrapped in supercool and smothered in bitchin. The only way it could be cooler is if he was riding a unicorn or something.

M-11

Comment

Alabama does not have a specific aggravated speeding statute. However, most courts in the state consider 25mph above any posted limit as aggravated speeding. As a practical matter that means that already substantial fines/court costs are assessed in the maximum.

Comment

Originally posted by bigislander72 View Post
                          In Ca, I and pretty much everyone else drove about 80 on the 65 mph limit freeways without fear of ticket. But thats only 15 over.
                          same in NY.
                          I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

I think I remember hearing in traffic school that in Utah reckless driving is at 31+ over the limit, or double the limit. So 50 in a 25 or 60 in a 30 or 76 in a 45 etc....
                            The only thing I hear when you say anything is "blah blah blah I'm a dirty whore".

Originally posted by Michigan
                            I don't want to sound gay...

But I'd do him.
                            Do you like airplanes and aviation??JOIN http://forums.officer.com/forums/group.php?groupid=20

My goal is to have the longest most annoying signature line ever.

Comment

Originally posted by -Erik- View Post
                              Isn't there something up with that law in regards to out of state drivers? I'm trying to remember if it is Virginia....
                              There was is a part of I-95 where the fines are higher for anything, that was for only VA drivers and we pitched a fit, now that is no longer the case.
                              It's not that liberals are ignorant. It's just that they know so much that isn't so. Ronald Reagan

TSA, I would rather be felt up than blown up.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4185 users online. 194 members and 3991 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X