300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Law Enforcement Terrorism Training Attacked

A Berkley student has published an article in the Washington Monthly slamming those who teach terrorism to law enforcement. The article indicates terrorism training is synonymous with teaching officers to fear Muslims. The recommendation of the authors is for law enforcement to stay out of terrorism prevention and serve in a reactive capacity such as cordoning off radiological areas. This is a quote from the article:

None of this is to say that state and local police and other first responders cannot play a role where terrorism is concerned. It’s crucial that they be well trained to cope with terrorist incidents once they occur—for instance, to detect and cordon off areas that have been hit by radiological weapons. But intelligence gathering is another matter. Paradoxically, the best thing the police can do in the struggle against terrorism may be to not do “counterterrorism” but simply perform the duties they are already mandated to perform: serve the communities they live in, keep their eyes open for suspicious activities of all sorts, and build the links that result in tip-offs like the one that led to the arrest of the men in Lackawanna.

I have had terrorism training from one of the instructors who has been attacked in this article and he has never said anything negative about the Muslim religion. The training has been focused on the motivation behind terrorists attacks and that motivation is sometimes a religious belief similar to Christians bombing abortion clinics because of their beliefs.

The trainers who are decorated members of the military and law enforcement have been insulted. The title of the article is, “How We Train Our Cops to Fear Islam: There aren’t nearly enough counterterrorism experts to instruct all of America’s police. So we got these guys instead.”
    The rebuttals have already started and after reading the article, it is an embarrassment to journalism and seems to be an attempt to suspend law enforcement terrorism prevention efforts. It also attacks federal funding for terrorism training. I do not think we can be trained to fear a religious group. This author (Joshua Craze) seems to think we are impressionable brain washable idiots that cannot interpret the information provided in training. I do not hate or fear Muslims. I fear terrorists and want every ounce of information available to prevent and respond to attacks.

This is a link to the article http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/fea...cup-craze.html. If you feel the same way I do about this article, please send an email to the editors of the Washington Monthly at [email protected].
    If one man can make a difference, every man should.

The kid is from Berkley. What else would you expect?

Comment

Originally posted by ArkansasFan24 View Post
      No kidding.....who gives two craps what he thinks or writes?

Ignore him and move on.
      The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

Originally posted by saranac View Post
        A Berkley student has published an article in the Washington Monthly slamming those who teach terrorism to law enforcement. The article indicates terrorism training is synonymous with teaching officers to fear Muslims. The recommendation of the authors is for law enforcement to stay out of terrorism prevention and serve in a reactive capacity such as cordoning off radiological areas. This is a quote from the article:

None of this is to say that state and local police and other first responders cannot play a role where terrorism is concerned. It’s crucial that they be well trained to cope with terrorist incidents once they occur—for instance, to detect and cordon off areas that have been hit by radiological weapons. But intelligence gathering is another matter. Paradoxically, the best thing the police can do in the struggle against terrorism may be to not do “counterterrorism” but simply perform the duties they are already mandated to perform: serve the communities they live in, keep their eyes open for suspicious activities of all sorts, and build the links that result in tip-offs like the one that led to the arrest of the men in Lackawanna.
        And how much of this training has Mr. Berkley been a part of that he knows what is taught in it?

I bolded the parts that sound an awful lot like counter-terrorism actions. So they should be aware of things that are suspicious... that seems pretty all encompassing to me. All CT training does is point out things to be looking for and how to handle them, which is exactly what Mr. Berkley claims officers should be doing. On that note, shouldn't you have some sort of LE training and experience to be telling LE what they should and shouldn't be doing... perhaps he has some terrorist training? At least then he would be qualified in his response.

F'em... his opinion really doesn't mean sh1t. Bleeding heart liberal pansy. I hate the American feeling of "we should only react" instead of being pro-active. It sets you up to continually be a victim.
        I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's.
        - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by ArmyDiver View Post
          And how much of this training has Mr. Berkley been a part of that he knows what is taught in it?

I bolded the parts that sound an awful lot like counter-terrorism actions. So they should be aware of things that are suspicious... that seems pretty all encompassing to me. All CT training does is point out things to be looking for and how to handle them, which is exactly what Mr. Berkley claims officers should be doing. On that note, shouldn't you have some sort of LE training and experience to be telling LE what they should and shouldn't be doing... perhaps he has some terrorist training? At least then he would be qualified in his response.

F'em... his opinion really doesn't mean sh1t. Bleeding heart liberal pansy. I hate the American feeling of "we should only react" instead of being pro-active. It sets you up to continually be a victim.
          As an American, I can boldly say I do not feel like that whatsoever. I do believe that as the public we SHOULD NOT KNOW your tactics nor should we have any say in it. That is why we are not employed with the DHS, military, law enforcement, etc.

I think we had another post about not telling someone else how to do their jobs! That applies here!

World_So_Cold

Comment

Originally posted by ArkansasFan24 View Post
            Good one!

Makes me think about how places are being reactive instead of proactive. Places should be proactive, in all facets of the job.

edit: +1 Billion to FJ Dave's posting below. That said, the Berkeley Student doesn't seem to realize as we get smarter, more advanced and more capable, so do our adversaries. There's a lot of people who hate our country and want to kill us. I'd rather be safe than sorry in this particular case. Send the student on a mandatory deployment with an infantry unit...
            Last edited by GreenZone09; 04-03-2011, 09:52 PM.
            sigpic

Originally posted by mitojo
            I was once thanked by two citizens in one day. Weird.

Comment

Wow, a Berkley STUDENT (funny how STUDENTs , who are still in the process of LEARNING and not DOING always think they know best) spouts off, saying (paraphrased) that it's better for police to react and clean up bodies instead of being proactive and saving lives....that's weird.
              sigpic
              Originally posted by Smurfette
              Lord have mercy. You're about as slick as the business side of duct tape.
              Originally posted by DAL
              You are without doubt a void surrounded by a sphincter muscle.

Comment

Yes,

It's funny how students love to read and think they know everything about tactical jobs. I'm sure this kid will grow up to be a great policy maker and opinion spitter outer....

Comment

Let's see:

Joshua Craze, a journalist and anthropologist based in Juba, Southern Sudan, is coeditor of The Kingdom: Saudi Arabia and the Challenge of the 21st Century.
                  Research support for this article was provided by the Investigative Fund at the Nation Institute.
                  What is this "Nation Institute"?

Originally posted by Nation Institute
                  A nonprofit media center, The Nation Institute was established to extend the reach of progressive ideas and strengthen the independent press.
                  That pretty much tells you everything you need to know about this article. Throw in Berkeley and its a done deal.
                  Originally posted by kontemplerande
                  Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

A significant number of college students don't have any understanding of life or reality. Come to think of it, most of their profs don't, either.

Comment

A Berkley student
                      Strong indicator that a story about an incredibly stupid person is about to follow…

The recommendation of the authors is for law enforcement to stay out of terrorism prevention
                      …
                      keep their eyes open for suspicious activities of all sorts, and build the links that result in tip-offs
                      Roger that, Mr. Berkley student. Stay out of terrorism prevention and do so by actively conducting terrorism prevention measures.

Good tip.

Comment

Stop picking on the terrorists and go after the real criminals for a change.
                        When passenger of foot heave in sight, tootle the horn. Trumpet him melodiously at first, but if he still obstacles your passage then tootle him with vigor.

Comment

We can only hope that the city of Berkeley and it's commie school slip into the ocean one day. I remember hearing a story that a police officer told about working there. He was on the street one day talking to a friend of his, who happened to be black. Some hipster walked up to them and just stood there until the officer acknowledged him and asked if he needed help with something. The hipster replied, "I'm staying here to make sure you don't say anything racist or violate his civil rights."

That's the mentality of those people. They go on and on about how horrible it is to stereotype and how great they are because they are so incredibly devoid of anything resembling bigotry, then in the same breath go on about how all police are a bunch of dimwitted racist bullies who pick on black people just for being black and think anyone with a beard and turban is a terrorist. Their point of view holds less weight with me than that of my dog.
                          "If the police have to come get you, they're bringing an @$$ kicking with them!"
                          -Chris Rock

Comment

and a mosquito farted in China...It has about the same effect as this guy's article. Why would you even bother shedding light on this irrelavant author?
                            10% of the cops do 90% of the work

Comment

That "pin the molotov on the cop car" photo was from a Berkley event. Free speech.
                              Hmm, seems to me we could have a center the crosshairs on _________________ fund raiser. (insert your favorite idiot)
                              Pete Malloy, "The only thing black and white about this job is the car."

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4064 users online. 259 members and 3805 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X