Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attending National LE Week In DC - Current LE Advice

Hey All,

I am a Police Officer from Washington State and our Honor Guard team will be attending the National LE Week in Washington D.C. this year (May 12th -16th). This will be my first visit to the East Coast and can't wait.

I am looking for any advice/insight from current east coast officer's on the event, places to eat, off duty carry protocol, etc. We will be staying in Arlington and riding the Metro to the various event's in DC.

So far on my must see list are a Nationals game, visit the WW 2, American Indian, and Holocaust museums, and see the changing of the guard at the tomb of the unknown soldier.

I have heard that LE don't pay to ride the Metrorail or to visit museums? Is this true or a rumor??

I have heard things are radically different here in the Left Coast vs. the East Coast in regards to how LE are treated. Hoping someone can help me separate truth from fiction.

Thanks all...

It's been awhile since I was in DC but I believe (and the DC folks will correct me if Im wrong) but most of the museums are free...I'd also check out the air and space museum....also get down to old town Alexandria...you can catch the metro there too....if you have time the White House tour is pretty nice also....can't help you on places to eat it's been 16 years since I was there and couldn't tell you where to eat anymore

Comment

Go to Georgetown and mingle with the sorority girls.
      Being a good street cop is like coming to work in a wet suit and peeing in your pants. It's a nice warm feeling, but you're the only one who knows anything has happened.

Comment

When you get to the Smithsonian, show the guard at bag check your badge and tell them you are carrying and they will direct you where you sign in the armed LEO book. The food at the museum is over priced.

Gorden Biersch at 9th and F street, across from the Spy Museum has good beer and food, happy hour starts at 4:00.

Don't know about riding metro for free, I know the LEOs that work here have a fare card that is free for them.
        It's not that liberals are ignorant. It's just that they know so much that isn't so. Ronald Reagan

TSA, I would rather be felt up than blown up.

Comment

Originally posted by HotSoup View Post
          It's been awhile since I was in DC but I believe (and the DC folks will correct me if Im wrong) but most of the museums are free...I'd also check out the air and space museum....also get down to old town Alexandria...you can catch the metro there too....if you have time the White House tour is pretty nice also....can't help you on places to eat it's been 16 years since I was there and couldn't tell you where to eat anymore
          The Smithsonian is fee but the Newseum, Spy Museum, and Crime and Punishment Museums are expensive, my guess is the Crime and Punishment Museum will let you in for free, AMW is filmed there. I don't think you can get White House tours anymore, they shut that down after 9/11 and I have not heard anything about them starting that up again.
          It's not that liberals are ignorant. It's just that they know so much that isn't so. Ronald Reagan

TSA, I would rather be felt up than blown up.

Comment

http://www.policeweek.org/

Official FOP Lodge #1 (DC) page......

Comment

Hamiltons,Irish Times,Cap City Brewery are great place to eat/drink. If you want a tour of the Capitol let me know via PM and we can hook it up. You will have no issue carrying...Some buildings you will have to lock it up though but it's no big deal.

Bring patches/coins to trade if you are into that also
              Just shut your damn hole

Dead Souls-----They keep calling me

Comment

I promised to bring patches this year...

Comment

Be prepared to answer questions from tourists if you are in uniform -- regardless of where you are from.
                  Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
                  Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Thanks everyone for the insight and links thus far. The FOP link has been very helpful and hopefully Chiller can assist with a Capitol tour, that would be great.

Any other insight or ideas is much appreciate.
                    Last edited by Rodeojones; 04-02-2011, 09:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rodeojones View Post
                      Any other insight or ideas is much appreciate.
                      Get to the FOP "Tent" area at night and have some beers/drinks with your Brothers and Sisters.....Even if you don't drink, go have a couple of Cokes or Dr. Peppers. It's a huge area on top of a parking garage with food/vendors/drinks.....and a DJ.....

Later in the evening, the DJ plays some killer tunes that glasses are hoisted to in memory of your dead Brothers and Sisters........

Simply amazing seeing all glasses in the air, folks singing to the songs, and tears in a lot of peoples eyes.....

All the money you pay for the food/booze/beer you buy there goes back into Lodge #1 fund (they are selling it and its strange at first to see someone from the Lodge working a beer tent with a Glock on his/her him.......and it goes to a good cause.....

Plus, they have vendors around the perimeter of the area so you can buy all kinds of swag.....From NYPD Shirts, to US Cap Shirts, to Dip Security stuff.....patches......coins......cigars....and equipment vendors hawking stuff...... plus 1-2 of the FOPs elsewhere tend to raffle stuff off like Harleys......

Great time had by all......

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat357 View Post
                        Get to the FOP "Tent" area at night and have some beers/drinks with your Brothers and Sisters.....Even if you don't drink, go have a couple of Cokes or Dr. Peppers. It's a huge area on top of a parking garage with food/vendors/drinks.....and a DJ.....

Later in the evening, the DJ plays some killer tunes that glasses are hoisted to in memory of your dead Brothers and Sisters........

Simply amazing seeing all glasses in the air, folks singing to the songs, and tears in a lot of peoples eyes.....

All the money you pay for the food/booze/beer you buy there goes back into Lodge #1 fund (they are selling it and its strange at first to see someone from the Lodge working a beer tent with a Glock on his/her him.......and it goes to a good cause.....

Plus, they have vendors around the perimeter of the area so you can buy all kinds of swag.....From NYPD Shirts, to US Cap Shirts, to Dip Security stuff.....patches......coins......cigars....and equipment vendors hawking stuff...... plus 1-2 of the FOPs elsewhere tend to raffle stuff off like Harleys......

Great time had by all......
                        Sounds like a blast... definitely will add that to my list.

Comment

One of the funniest things you will ever see is the various members/officers in uniform, at the tent, serving food and "other" beverages in uniform. Nothing like being served a burger and "mystery drink" by an armed city/county/state/federal officer. You will see what I mean when you get down to the tents..

Comment

Originally posted by CityCopDC View Post
                            "mystery drink"
                            No mystery.... 3/4 cub of booze and a splash of Coke, Sprite, or whatever you asked them to mix it with.....

Comment

Chiller promised me I can get my picture taken with Citycop and Bearcat at this years police week. As you can imagine I am pretty amped.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6376 users online. 353 members and 6023 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X