Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anti-terrorism training draws scrutiny

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...raws-scrutiny/

Two senators have launched an inquiry into federally funded counterterrorism training for state and local police, saying they are concerned some of the instruction includes inflammatory and inaccurate anti-Muslim stereotyping. But the move has ignited fears that political correctness might undermine the training.

“We are concerned … that state and local law enforcement agencies are being trained by individuals who not only do not understand the ideology of violent Islamist extremism, but also cast aspersions on a wide swath of ordinary Americans merely because of their religious affiliation,” wrote Sens. Joseph I. Lieberman, Connecticut independent, and Susan M. Collins, Maine Republican, in a letter Tuesday to Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr. and Homeland Security Secretary Janet A. Napolitano.

The two senators, who work closely together as the chairman and ranking member of the Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee, asked for details of the two departments’ grant funding for counterterrorism training and for information about any standards or guidelines that training had to meet to qualify for federal money — including instructors’ qualifications.

The senators said staff inquiries had uncovered evidence that “improper training may not be limited to mere isolated occurrences.”

Since the terrorist attacks of September 2001, billions of federal dollars have been poured into grant programs for state and local police and other first responders, with much of that spent on counterterrorism training. But there are few standards for such courses, and the senators fret that some trainers may be unqualified and some training counterproductive.
    Sens. Susan Collins, Maine Republican, and Joe Lieberman, Connecticut independent, want information on federal grant funding of counterterrorism training and the standards that training has to meet to qualify for funding. (Associated Press)Sens. Susan Collins, Maine Republican, and Joe Lieberman, Connecticut independent, want information on federal grant funding of counterterrorism training and the standards that training has to meet to qualify for funding. (Associated Press)

The senators cited recent news reports of “self-appointed counterterrorism training experts as engaging in vitriolic diatribes and making assertions such as “Islam is a highly violent, radical religion.”

“But Islam demonstrably is a violent religion,” said Robert Spencer, an author and blogger whose writings on Islam have proved controversial. “Not every Muslim is violent, but the religion teaches and encourages violence against non-Muslims.”

Mr. Spencer says he has taken part in counterterrorism training for U.S. military and intelligence agencies and the FBI, but not state and local police. He told The Washington Times he was concerned the senators’ inquiry could lead to “politically correct guidelines to stop people teaching the truth about Islam, especially from the Obama administration.”

Mr. Spencer, who has a master’s degree in religious studies from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, has studied Islam for three decades and written 10 books on the faith.

Walid Phares, another counterterrorism consultant who has helped train state and local police forces, told The Times that organized Islamic extremists were “trying to confuse the public by mixing criticism of unprofessional training with criticism of the best strategic analysis available in the United States.”

He said he supported the senators’ work.

At the root of many of the disagreements about the content of the training courses are differences about the nature of Islam and its relationship to extremist terrorist groups like al Qaeda.

Many see political Islam — a vision of the religion as not just a personal faith, but a blueprint for society and its laws — as the real enemy in the war against terrorism and as a toxic influence on the American body politic.

But the Obama administration, like its predecessor, says Islam is a religion of peace and generally urges officials not to describe al Qaeda and other terrorist groups as Islamic, but simply as violent extremists.

The Department of Homeland Security, in a statement released Tuesday evening, said the agency understands the senators’ concerns.

All DHS grant recipients providing training to state and local law enforcement partners “are expected to reflect the same professionalism and courtesy that is expected of all DHS and DHS component personnel,” according to the statement.

Well, I have my opinion on this matter. But, I am more interested in what LEO's think of this training.
    Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
    ~Mark Twain

Do you want to know who you are? Don't ask. Act! Action will delineate and define you.
    ~Thomas Jefferson

"Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity."
    — Horace Mann

geez. i was NEVER taught any negative stereo types during my training. hey senators, al-qada is ------> that way, have fun
    dubbed code name: Alien #69

Comment

Still fails if they are provided legal protections like that of a citizen.

Comment

I've been to several CT trainings and they do a very good job of explaining the terrorist threat from all places.... The Islamic radicals are a very serious and legitimate threat and is always talked about very seriously... Around the time we discuss Timothy McVeigh. So if we talk about McVeigh is there anti-white stereotyping going on?

Comment

Originally posted by jason860 View Post
          Sens. Joseph I. Lieberman, Connecticut independent, and Susan M. Collins, Maine Republican.
          Too bad no one votes those two idiots out of office.....

Comment

I hate to break it to folks but it is not extremists. It's those who closely follow the teachings of Islam. Islam preaches violence against non-Muslims. Read it for yourselves.....

I'd hate to see what the leaders from the 40s would have to say about today's leaders.

PC is taking us down the drain.

P.S. If you do not like my post please direct your flames to /dev/null where they belong.

Comment

Originally posted by BigW View Post
              I hate to break it to folks but it is not extremists. It's those who closely follow the teachings of Islam. Islam preaches violence against non-Muslims.
              Errr....it is the extremists that follow the Qur’an to the "T"..... Just like the Christian Extremist that follow the Bible to the "T".......and do whacky crap.....

Read it for yourselves.....
              I have....and have lived in the ME.....

Comment

Don't a bunch of countries use stereotyping of muslims for counter terrorism and are extremely successful in preventing attacks?

Comment

Originally posted by Taylor13 View Post
                  Don't a bunch of countries use stereotyping of muslims for counter terrorism and are extremely successful in preventing attacks?
                  Only issue with that.....is that those are countries that Muslims are a large part of the population.....and there is nothing else....... Such as Israel. They can concentrate on them because they only have Muslims and Jews there (for the most part).

Here in the US, if you go after all the Muslims and just the Muslims......you will end up letting the Tim Mcveigh's, Eric Rudolph's, or the retards from Michigan thru.....and that's not a good thing......

Comment

[QUOTE=Bearcat357;2703289]Errr....it is the extremists that follow the Qur’an to the "T"..... Just like the Christian Extremist that follow the Bible to the "T".......and do whacky crap.....

Examples?

I don't find in the Bible where it says to kill non-Christians. Maybe your copy is different?

Wacky crap I'll almost agree with but it does not promote violence.

If the cornerstone of your religion promotes violence and you commit violence then I wouldn't call that extremist I would call it your religion.

Comment

Examples?
                      How many wars have been started by Christians? The Crusades and the Spanish Inquisition come to mind.... Of course, you are going to say that those happened a long time ago and don't count now....correct...?

If the cornerstone of your religion promotes violence and you commit violence then I wouldn't call that extremist I would call it your religion.
                      So, your trying to say there is no violence in the Bible....? Interesting.......

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat357 View Post
                        How many wars have been started by Christians? The Crusades and the Spanish Inquisition come to mind.... Of course, you are going to say that those happened a long time ago and don't count now....correct...?
                        I'm totally at a loss here. What the crusades have to do with terrorism and Islamic extremists is beyond me. I also had no idea the Spanish inquisition was a war; maybe I should throw out all my books relevant to the time period.

So, your trying to say there is no violence in the Bible....? Interesting.......
                        Not at all, the Bible describes much violence historically between men; however, the teachings beginning with the new testament instruct man to love thy neighbor and forgive - violence and forceful conversion are contrary to the principles of the Christian faith.

Islam, which we are told, is the religion of peace through suicide bombings, beheadings, and other barbaric acts of murder towards fellow muslims and infidels.

Politicians, media talking heads, and others may disagree - but, the vast majority of those whose business it is to counter the efforts of terrorists daily seem to be on the same page for the most part; that is, Islamic extremists are the problem - not ****ed off white guys. Seriously, are LE and security personnel on patrol or watch around the world worried about white guys or Islamic insurgents?
                        Last edited by FireControlman; 04-01-2011, 12:01 AM.

Comment

[QUOTE=FireControlman;2703551] I'm totally at a loss here. What the crusades have to do with terrorism and Islamic extremists is beyond me. I also had no idea the Spanish inquisition was a war; maybe I should throw out all my books relevant to the time period [/QUOTE]

Errr....Christians using the Bible to further their cause.... Just like Muslims using the Qur’an to futher their cause...... Spanish Inquisition may not have been a war per say..... But they were damn sure killing folks in God's name.....don't you think...?

[QUOTE=FireControlman;2703551]extremists are the problem - not ****ed off white guys. Seriously, are LE and security personnel on patrol or watch around the world worried about white guys or Islamic insurgents?[/QUOTE]

Sorry......In my line of work.....I worry about EVERYONE!!!! Perhaps you have forgotten about Nidal Malik Hasan ....aka US Army Major Hasan..? What about Hasan Karim Akbar ....aka US Army SGT Akbar........? What about Sgt. William J. Kreutzer.....aka the Fort Bragg shooter.... All Active Duty members and all active shooters...... The first two may have been Muslims but they damn sure were Active Duty that were supposed to have their buddies back and not fragging them or becoming an Active Shooter......

What about McVeigh and Nichols...? OKC Bombing....

What about Eric Rudolph....? ATL Olympic and Abortion Clinic Bombings.....

What about Ted Kaczynski....? Unibomber.....

What about John Allen Muhammad & Lee Boyd Malvo...? Beltway snipers..

What about the Milita in MI...? White dudes wanting to kill Cops for their "cause".....

What about the crazy lady in NJ....Colleen Renee LaRose...? She was called Jihad Jane but she's as white as I am.......

What about Zarema Muzhakhoyeva and the rest of the "Black Widow" bombers that have got Russia by surprise (they are white as I am from Chechnya)......

See....everything isn't so black and white is it...? I don't trust a soul nor should anyone in LE/Security/AT-FP when it comes to this.

We tell our Guards/Cops to be wary of EVERYONE.....Not just someone that appears Muslim......and that's the way it should be......

Comment

The Bible does not state that we should kill non-Christians. Yes Christians started the crusades, etc. HOWEVER, that is the definition of extremism. When you blindly interpret your holy book to mean terrorist handbook to serve your purposes. But when your holy book actually comes and says to kill those who oppose that is not extremism. That is their religion. I do not know how to state this more clearly.

I like you and am not trying to start a flame war and am not upset. Just merely stating fact.

Comment

When you blindly interpret your holy book to mean terrorist handbook to serve your purposes.
                              Errr.....You do realize that 1.2 to 1.57 billion Muslims populate the world currently..... Out of those, how many are actually terrorists and how many actually are just plugging along in life, believing in God......?

I know a lot of Muslims from when I spent some time over in the ME....and not a damn one of them wants death to America.....it's only the radical nuts that want it....

Just like the radical Christians that have done stuff in the past and are doing stuff today in the name of their God...... Check out Topeka KS and "Rev" Phelps......

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3125 users online. 161 members and 2964 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X