Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rear-Windshield memorials: Moving tribute, or safety hazard?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear-Windshield memorials: Moving tribute, or safety hazard?

I've been noticing a trend here in NJ lately that anyone who has a family member, pet, favorite athlete Ect... Die, they seem to get over it by sticking a memorial statement of some type on the back window of their car with mailbox letters.

I drove 9 miles from the base to my house and saw two minivans and an Avalanch with the entire back window blocked with letters and butterflies/hearts.

One also included a photo of what I can only assume is the victim, a long haired dachsund, and a statement that was (Paraphrased)

"We will always love you lucky and while you are no longer with us we know that you are smiling down upon us with the universal everlasting glowing adoration that made us love you and while we are apart..."

On and On for at least 7 lines of 2 inch letters.

My first question: Is this really any way to memorialize someone?

second: Is it legal?

M-11
    “All men dream...... But not equally..
    Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
    but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
    for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

Good question.

I'll guess that states have laws regarding obstructing your view. So depending on the amount of stickers the officer could articulate the view is obstructed.

Comment

Meh, there are plenty of vehicles out there with no rear window to see out of to begin with (some vans, box trucks, ect). So I don't get too worked about about if they have functioning mirrors.

Comment

I have seen them too, if there is a danger its the people taking the time to read it. I think they are tacky and would never do it myself but if it works for others fine.
        It's not that liberals are ignorant. It's just that they know so much that isn't so. Ronald Reagan

TSA, I would rather be felt up than blown up.

Comment

Rule of thumb from my buddies who work traffic, is as long as the vehicle can have "black out" tint on the obstructed window(s), then they don't get cited.

On a side note, I've noticed that a lot of the cars on the road with these memorial messages are huge POS. I've told my family that if they every put a memorial on their POS for me, I will personally see to it that a bolt of lightning comes down from the sky and vaporizes their POS. ;-)
          Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

I don't see why a police officer would have a problem with this. I mean if/when I become a cop, sure I'll have to abide by the law and cite people, but I don't think I'll ever cite someone for something this absurd as long as they have a way to see behind them. What about semi's or box trucks who don't have rear windows? Because they can't see due to a trailor in the way doesn't make them any better of a driver. As long as a car has two mirrors on each side of the door, I don't see a problem with this. If anyone wants to drive with only two mirrors, go for it. I prefer a rear view mirror myself.

Now the front window is a different story. Around here I see people with huge banners on them, not to mention some people will even tint their windshield to 35%. A windsheild shouldn't be tinted at all and tint shops shouldn't do it.
            Been chatting to a girl online. She's funny, sexy and flirty. Now she tells me she is an undercover cop! How cool is that at her age!?

Comment

I dont have a problem with it...its how they cope....
              Ive seen a lot of memorials to dead soldiers in the same fashion. I pray I will never be that parent in that situation, so I dont know how or what I would do if that horrible day came.

My area I see more "HERNANDEZ" "JALISCO" stuff written in large Olde English Lettering with a lot of scorpions or Virgin Mary.

I DO have a problem with the "proud parents" who put their kids name and organization on their rear window; ex: "Kaylee, #72 - Sandys Cheer", or "Kyle, 27 Ravens Football"
              Theres a member here who has that same warning on his sig line....sex offenders, (we all know how persistent and crafty they can be" see this and can use it to their advantage.
              "I don't go on "I'maworthlesscumdumpster.com" and post negative **** about cum dumpsters."
              The Tick

"Are you referring to the secret headquarters of a fictional crime fighter or penal complex slang for a-$$hole, anus or rectum?"
              sanitizer

"and we all know you are a poser and a p*ssy.... "
              Bearcat357 to Dinner Portion/buck8/long relief

Comment

Originally posted by crass cop View Post
                My area I see more "HERNANDEZ" "JALISCO" stuff written in large Olde English Lettering with a lot of scorpions or Virgin Mary.
                LMAO! I see this all the time...
                Last edited by S&WGUY!; 03-28-2011, 07:51 PM. Reason: Quoting mishap

Comment

Originally posted by crass cop View Post
                  I dont have a problem with it...its how they cope....
                  Ive seen a lot of memorials to dead soldiers in the same fashion. I pray I will never be that parent in that situation, so I dont know how or what I would do if that horrible day came.

I DO have a problem with the "proud parents" who put their kids name and organization on their rear window; ex: "Kaylee, #72 - Sandys Cheer", or "Kyle, 27 Ravens Football"
                  Theres a member here who has that same warning on his sig line....sex offenders, (we all know how persistent and crafty they can be" see this and can use it to their advantage.
                  I've had several talks with parents who have the animated characters of "daddy", "mommy", the children and even family pets on the back of their mini van or SUV. Some even go so far as to put the names under the animated characters! Most are very grateful after having the conversation with me, others get all pizzy and say stuff like "free country". Yeah lady, I hate to see your sobbing mug on the evening news when "Little Debbie" turns up missing. Hate to think that the abductor found out the name of your precious little girl from the back of your Grand Caravan.
                  Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

If the entire rear window was blocked, it would be illegal here in CA.

I havent seen any for pets out here; mostly family members, friends ect
                    The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

Originally posted by FromOhio View Post
                      I don't see why a police officer would have a problem with this. I mean if/when I become a cop, sure I'll have to abide by the law and cite people, but I don't think I'll ever cite someone for something this absurd as long as they have a way to see behind them. What about semi's or box trucks who don't have rear windows? Because they can't see due to a trailor in the way doesn't make them any better of a driver. As long as a car has two mirrors on each side of the door, I don't see a problem with this. If anyone wants to drive with only two mirrors, go for it. I prefer a rear view mirror myself.
                      You're comparing apples to oranges. If a box truck doesn't have a rear window, guess what?? This particular law doesn't apply to them. Think about it. Here in Indiana, you basically can't have anything bigger then a 4" square on a window that's obstructing your view. It's an easy stop, make 'em all day.

Originally posted by FromOhio
                      Now the front window is a different story. Around here I see people with huge banners on them, not to mention some people will even tint their windshield to 35%. A windsheild shouldn't be tinted at all and tint shops shouldn't do it.
                      Personally, I have problems with the SIDE and REAR WINDOWS being tinted too dark.
                      Why are there so many babies on O.com? Creole, you and your buddy JPSO Recruit help me out on this one....

* "Preach always, if necessary, use words!" St Francis of Assisi

* Luke Chapter 6, Verses 27-36

Comment

Originally posted by LA DEP View Post
                        If the entire rear window was blocked, it would be illegal here in CA.
                        Are you sure? As long as they have side view mirrors on both sides, I don't think there is any restriction on what is in the rear window.
                        Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Years ago I had an officer pull up next to me and yell at me for having one of those blank strips along the top edge of my rear window. He said I can't have anything that blocks light. Later that day I spoke with the desk sergeant and he told me it was fine and i didn't even need a rear window as long as I had at least one external rear facing window. I talked to him for a bit and he raised the point that an officer uses the rear window to identify potential threats during a traffic stop and it is useful for their safety. Even though it barely covered the window, I took it off that night just to potentially be helpful to an officer in the future.
                          --In serving the wicked, expect no reward, and be thankful if you escape injury for your pains.

Comment

@ateamer....it has always been my understanding that you can block out the rear window as long as you have two side view mirrors. In Socal 26708(a)(1)VC covers tinted windows but I am too lazy to look it up right now.

Also I always see the stick figure families with everyone's name and pets written under them.
                            Budda sat in front of a wall and when he stood up he was enlightened. I sat in front of a wall and when I stood up the wall was enlightened.

We forge our skills in the fire of our will.

Comment

Originally posted by ateamer View Post
                              Are you sure? As long as they have side view mirrors on both sides, I don't think there is any restriction on what is in the rear window.
                              In all honestly, I think it depends on the judge ect.....the section is for 'impaired view'.....dont have a CVC handy right now for the exact section......I have seen judges that think that ANYTHING in the rear window is a violation, and others that look at it like you posted.
                              The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3340 users online. 194 members and 3146 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X