Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Anti-business" Democrats at it again.

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • "Anti-business" Democrats at it again.

    Cell Phone Maker Pulls DUI Checkpoint App

    Larry Copeland
    USA TODAY



    BlackBerry users no longer will be able to pinpoint police drunken-driving checkpoints.

    Following a request Tuesday from four Democratic senators, Ontario, Canada-based Research In Motion, maker of the BlackBerry, has agreed to pull from its online store downloadable applications that allow its operating systems to identify the locations of local police DUI checkpoints.

    Sens. Harry Reid of Nevada, Charles Schumer of New York, Frank Lautenberg of New Jersey and Tom Udall of New Mexico asked RIM, Apple and Google to disable or stop selling the apps for BlackBerry, iPhone and iPad, and Android devices.

    USA TODAY reported Monday on the growing popularity of apps that identify law enforcement tools such as DUI checkpoints, speed traps and red-light cameras through user-submitted information that connects with GPS data.

    Research In Motion did not respond to a request for further comment. The senators said RIM thanked them "for bringing the issue to the company's attention and said that they would comply with the senators' request to remove the applications, likely within the day."

    The senators praised RIM and urged Apple and Google to follow RIM's lead. Cupertino, Calif.-based Apple, maker of the iPhone and iPad, and Mountain View, Calif.-based Google, which makes the Android, did not respond to requests for comment.

    "Drunk drivers will soon have one less tool to evade law enforcement and endanger our friends and families," the senators said in a joint statement Wednesday. "We appreciate RIM's immediate reply and urge the other smartphone makers to quickly follow suit."

    The senators' letter, which did not name any apps, said that one of them contains a database of DUI checkpoints updated in real time. Another allows users to notify other drivers of such crackdowns in real time and has more than 10 million users.

    The senators didn't raise any concerns about the apps' other features.

    In announcing the agreement with RIM, the senators cited statistics showing that someone dies every 50 minutes in a drunken-driving crash.

    About 30% of all traffic fatalities in 2009, the most recent year for which statistics are available, involved drunken driving, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. That year, drunken-driving deaths fell 7.4% from a year earlier to 10,839, out of a total of 33,808 fatalities, NHTSA says.

    Costs of the apps vary. Some are free. One offers subscriptions that range from $9.99 a month to $99.99 for a lifetime subscription.


    "Jerry, just remember, it’s not a lie if you believe it". George Constanza.


  • #2
    Sooooo....
    Semper Paratus/Always Ready
    Originally posted by jakflak
    The bottom line: always be nice to the magic voice. All hail the magic voice!!
    Originally posted by Michigan
    I have a 1 year old daughter and at this rate I'm almost certain I'm going to end up in prison by the time she's 15 years old. I swear, the first guy that that comes knocking on my door holding onto a naked photo of my daughter.....

    Don't bother telling me, "oh it's her fault too".... I know, I have double standards. Deal with it.

    : )

    Comment


    • #3
      I blame Obama.
      What is Perseverance?
      -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
      -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
      -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.


      BOP - BPA - ICE

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Exodus259
        How is this anti-business exactly? They just want an app pulled. So . . .?
        Could be a bit of sarcasm on my part perhaps. What with dems always being considered "soft on crime" and all.

        But we all know that Republicans are tough on crime and fully support LE. It's not like they're trying to destroy LE pensions or anything. Oh wait.......


        "Jerry, just remember, it’s not a lie if you believe it". George Constanza.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by TheKansan View Post
          I blame Obama.
          Shame on you for blaming the Messiah!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Ex Army MP View Post
            Could be a bit of sarcasm on my part perhaps. What with dems always being considered "soft on crime" and all.

            But we all know that Republicans are tough on crime and fully support LE. It's not like they're trying to destroy LE pensions or anything. Oh wait.......
            What a drama queen. Destroying pensions, really? As far as the story goes, I don't suppose you've ever heard of political grandstanding?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by JasperST View Post
              What a drama queen. Destroying pensions, really? As far as the story goes, I don't suppose you've ever heard of political grandstanding?

              Yes, really, destroying pensions. As for the story, grandstanding ot not, I am all for it if it saves lives. As for the scumbag who created the app, I suppose that when some drunk POS wiped out a family on his alternate route around the road block the businessman who created the thing would just say " don't blame me, blame the drunk".

              What's next? Maybe they'll create an app that tells pedophiles where children are playing.


              "Jerry, just remember, it’s not a lie if you believe it". George Constanza.

              Comment


              • #8
                Not a fan of the app. I highly doubt that law-abiding people who don't drink and drive would have been inclined to pay $99.99 to avoid DUI checkpoints.

                I mean, you can't really come up with a legal excuse for having purchased that app.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Like radar detectors, no excuse to have it other then to break the law.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    $99.99 for an app that depends on people reporting where the DUI checkpoints are. Wow some people are gullible, here is a cheaper idea........don't drink and drive.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      We could have some fun with this app. Let's all start reporting checkpoints where there are none to confuse them. Maybe we could direct them along a route that leads them right to one...
                      --In serving the wicked, expect no reward, and be thankful if you escape injury for your pains.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Yeah, well Republicans are just trying to address the fact that city and state governments are going broke. I'll agree to make adjustments to my pension, if asked, to save the damn system and our nation. I can't do to much complaining because my neighbors and some non-govenrment employed friends are having a rough time.

                        To be honest, when things were going 'good', all I heard was my coworkers (cops) bitching and moaning about this benefit or that benefit. Nothing was enough with some of these guys.

                        I go to court and if I'm there only five minutes, I get four hours pay or six hours time, and still some bitch.

                        It made me sick since I came to this job from employment where there was no such thing as a paid sick day. I now have well over one thousand sick hours and in my twenty something years of working, I have only missed two days my whole life due to being sick, none while in LE.

                        The Founding Fathers, most of whom were very wealthy, put their fortunes at risk for the greater good and some of the people I work with bitch about their uniform allowance being to little.
                        But hey, whatever, just keep riding this horse until it drops dead.
                        The liberal politician has the only job where they go to the office to work for everyone but those who pay their salary.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by tony.o View Post
                          Yeah, well Republicans are just trying to address the fact that city and state governments are going broke. I'll agree to make adjustments to my pension, if asked, to save the damn system and our nation. I can't do to much complaining because my neighbors and some non-govenrment employed friends are having a rough time.

                          To be honest, when things were going 'good', all I heard was my coworkers (cops) bitching and moaning about this benefit or that benefit. Nothing was enough with some of these guys.

                          I go to court and if I'm there only five minutes, I get four hours pay or six hours time, and still some bitch.

                          It made me sick since I came to this job from employment where there was no such thing as a paid sick day. I now have well over one thousand sick hours and in my twenty something years of working, I have only missed two days my whole life due to being sick, none while in LE.

                          The Founding Fathers, most of whom were very wealthy, put their fortunes at risk for the greater good and some of the people I work with bitch about their uniform allowance being to little.
                          But hey, whatever, just keep riding this horse until it drops dead.
                          Well said, people seem to overlook the fact that all things are related. Those who scream the loudest are usually the ones who want the other guy to take the hit.

                          Comment

                          MR300x250 Tablet

                          Collapse

                          What's Going On

                          Collapse

                          There are currently 6440 users online. 349 members and 6091 guests.

                          Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                          Welcome Ad

                          Collapse
                          Working...
                          X