300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Light bar....part 2..

So a few weeks ago I posted regarding clearing up the lenses on my old school Whelen 500 series strobe light bar. I got the lenses cleaned up pretty good and made a great improvement. But I noticed the reflectors were pretty dull/dirty. I wiped them off the best I could but still pretty dull. Is it possible to remove the lights/reflectors and paint them with a chrome spray paint? Or is there another (cheap) way to make the lights brighter? The light bar is 6 or so years old and I'm a rookie so no chance getting anything via the department.

Thanks!

B.
    2010 Graduate of Reinhardt University Police Academy
    Class 10-004

I wouldn't advise it...probably wouldn't be any better and probably make it worse. Don't know what your budget is, but you can get new strobe tubes and they come with the new reflector part (they come as a single unit). Downside is that replacements run about $50 - $75 last I checked. Just to replace the four corner units would cost you a couple hundred. New lens kits are also available for around $125 - $150, but won't help with reflector problems.

Comment

Yeah I've just been searching for tubes/reflectors.. bout $65 or so.. found some for $20-40 on ebay.
      Class 10-004

Comment

Legal liability: any paint or alteration that you think increases safety could make it worse.
        Last edited by ryker; 03-29-2012, 08:48 AM.
        Any views or opinions presented by this prenomen are solely those of a burlesque author and do not necessarily represent those of a LEA or caementum couturier.

nom de plume

This is the internet- take all information with a grain of salt. Such could be valid and true or could be typed just for playing devils advocate.

Comment

Would a little brasso work?
          Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

I don't think you should be altering your department issued equipment...if you eff it up, you're liable...and you're a rook, so that wont' be good for you.
            sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

Originally posted by silly34 View Post
              Yeah I've just been searching for tubes/reflectors.. bout $65 or so.. found some for $20-40 on ebay.
              They are plastic..use plastic cleaner. Dont eff with it too much.

Comment

Anyway to get friendly with the guys who service you cars? If so, maybe they have lightbar removed from a unit that's in better shape. Try and make a contract to have yours replaced the next time it goes in for service.
                Hey Kidd, I've got more time On Meal than you have "On the Job"

Comment

The reflectors should be plastic, try using windex or something. But don't spray the bulb!! Maybe some plastic cleaner or polish but try it on a small spot before doing the entire reflector to make sure it doesn't make it worse. Honestly it could just be the bulbs are coming towards the end of their life span, maybe time to ask for the bulbs to be changed out.
                  "I'm sorry, did you see my care face? Because I'm pretty sure I didn't show it to you becuase I DON'T care. Have a nice day. "

Comment

For the price of replacing all those bulbs, you could buy a pair of LED flashers to mount on the back deck and still save you money.
                    Originally posted by kontemplerande
                    Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

Don't paint them. They'll never be as shiny as they are now if you try to paint them. If you're hell bent on taking them off, after windexing them, call a plating joint in your area and ask about if they can be replated.

But as others have said, the Dept. should be taking care of this. If you start doing crap that the PD should, where does it stop? Like someone said, buying your squad new tires, a new trans, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiTownDet View Post

But as others have said, the Dept. should be taking care of this. If you start doing crap that the PD should, where does it stop? Like someone said, buying your squad new tires, a new trans, etc.
                        And most of the people who have said that do not have take home rides.

If it is not against policy I see no problem in making your life easier and safer.

Those who do -------often take a certain pride in their vehicles and when push comes to shove (and the boss won't or "can't" ) fix the minor stuff -----go the extra mile to make their jobs easier/safer.

This is especially so in smaller Sheriff's Offices throughout the country. My first light bar------back in the late 1970's was about 4 yrs old when I got it. I took a day and did a complete tear down, polishing the lenses, cleaning the reflectors & oiling the drive chain (yes CHAIN)

I put a lot of time into the light bar-------and the interior of the car in order to make my self safer and more comfortable. A small price to pay
                        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

I understand both sides of the discussion and see the points. BUT I've pretty much been given permission to do stuff so long as it doesn't cost the department anything. I'm hell bent on having a nice looking/performing vehicle (making lemonade out of lemons) as I was given an older car. I've already had the old worn out graphics removed and new graphics put on (almost free), the wheels have been painted since they were rusted (free), so I figure I would see what I could do with all of my strobes. I've got 12 installed not including the light bar.. looks great at night but during the day not very bright. And I love washing & waxing it.... took me long enough to get one!

B.

Last edited by silly34; 03-27-2011, 06:59 PM.
                          Class 10-004

Comment

Old graphics... they were worn out (faded, cracked, pieces missing, etc..)

2 strobes in grill, 2 strobes on dash, strobes on mirrors, 6 strobes on rear deck. I've not counted the corner/rear backup white strobes.

Last edited by silly34; 03-27-2011, 07:00 PM.
                            Class 10-004

Comment

Try Flitz polish on the plated parts, just be careful, as it might take some of the plating with it.
                              It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2644 users online. 141 members and 2503 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X