Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mdrdep
    replied
    Island formal is acceptable IF you're a "local".

Leave a comment:

• The_Lor
    replied
    Congratulations sir, hope the rest of the process goes as well for you.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Whatever you do, make sure you brush up on your Don Ho trivia.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocOYBrQfJb4

Leave a comment:

• jannino
    replied
    Glad to hear. Keep it up!

Leave a comment:

• Sierra259
    replied
    Well I successfully passed my oral board! The captain even told me that I was "the most well spoken and confident applicant" he'd seen out of all of his interviews!I spent the entire rest of the day peeing in cups and filling in tiny bubbles for the psych and poly.

Thank you everyone for your help! I went with the suit and super-shined shoes, and I think it worked.

Leave a comment:

• Scott941
    replied
    Originally posted by Bearcat357 View Post
    As stated, I am going with what MPD and HPD told me to tell him.....and I think he should stick to that......

Yes, locals/on-island hires will be dressing like that..... but he needs to stand above them to get the job.....
    +1

Go with the suit and be remembered as the one who stood out among all the others.

Leave a comment:

• jannino
    replied
    Stick with Bearcat's advice. Wear the suit and be confident wearing it.

Good luck and safe travels.

Leave a comment:

• Bearcat357
    replied
    Originally posted by bigislander72 View Post
    http://shidler.hawaii.edu/Default.aspx?tabid=890

I think the pic of the businessmen says it all. Personally, I feel the three piece suit is a little to formal and stuffy. Take a walk in downtown Honolulu and you will see all sorts of professionals dressed in aloha shirts and slacks. It is the business suit for the islands! Just pick out a nice combo, don't worry about appearing too "unprofessional".
    As stated, I am going with what MPD and HPD told me to tell him.....and I think he should stick to that......

Yes, locals/on-island hires will be dressing like that..... but he needs to stand above them to get the job.....

Leave a comment:

• bigislander72
    replied
    Originally posted by Sierra259 View Post
    On one hand, if I wear the suit, I'll look good and respectful, but at the risk of distancing myself from island culture. On the other, if I wear the aloha shirt, I'll be more comfortable and fit in better, at the risk of looking unprofessional.

http://shidler.hawaii.edu/Default.aspx?tabid=890

I think the pic of the businessmen says it all. Personally, I feel the three piece suit is a little to formal and stuffy. Take a walk in downtown Honolulu and you will see all sorts of professionals dressed in aloha shirts and slacks. It is the business suit for the islands! Just pick out a nice combo, don't worry about appearing too "unprofessional".
    Last edited by bigislander72; 03-28-2011, 01:44 PM.

Leave a comment:

• jannino
    replied
    You should dress your best for any job interview.

But on a lighter note... don't you watch Hawaii 5-0???? NOBODY WEARS A TIE!!

Leave a comment:

• The_Lor
    replied
    Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
    I dont' care if you are interviewing at Micky D's...............you should NEVER pass up the opportunity to make a good first impression.
    The job I'm leaving in 3 weeks to be a CO (self-serving drop-in accomplished), I often show up to the office wearing shorts, sandals and a t-shirt and next to half the people I look like I'm dressed for a wedding.

But you'd better believe I showed up to both interviews in a suit. And last week when I took my physical exam at a Dr's office and was then told I could just show up in my sweats to the Sheriff's office for a psych test if I wanted to, you'd better believe I changed first anyway.

You never go wrong looking more professional than what's expected. Ever.

Leave a comment:

• School Cop
    replied
    And if you're applying in Texas, MAKE SURE your hat's a Stetson; you can relax a little on the brand of cowboy boots. Only dress spurs are acceptable at most departments.

Leave a comment:

• Sierra259
    replied
    Originally posted by wirefire2 View Post
    if you call them it's not going to help you in anyway. Unless you're doing a PT test wear your good suit.
    Speaking of PT tests, I wore a button up shirt and nice pants, then changed before the test began.

Leave a comment:

• wirefire2
    replied
    Originally posted by DAL View Post
    Call the staff and ask what type of attire is considered appropriate.
    if you call them it's not going to help you in anyway. Unless you're doing a PT test wear your good suit.

Leave a comment:

• Sierra259
    replied
    Thank you all for your replies!

It looks like I'll be taking my suit with me. Gonna have to shine my shoes though, I can't see my reflection!

EDIT: Once again, I'd usually go for the suit, but because of the climate differences and cultural differences, I didn't want to make an accidental transgression. On one hand, if I wear the suit, I'll look good and respectful, but at the risk of distancing myself from island culture. On the other, if I wear the aloha shirt, I'll be more comfortable and fit in better, at the risk of looking unprofessional.
    Last edited by Sierra259; 03-26-2011, 05:51 PM.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2810 users online. 159 members and 2651 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X