300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
    I dont' care if you are interviewing at Micky D's...............you should NEVER pass up the opportunity to make a good first impression.
    The job I'm leaving in 3 weeks to be a CO (self-serving drop-in accomplished), I often show up to the office wearing shorts, sandals and a t-shirt and next to half the people I look like I'm dressed for a wedding.

But you'd better believe I showed up to both interviews in a suit. And last week when I took my physical exam at a Dr's office and was then told I could just show up in my sweats to the Sheriff's office for a psych test if I wanted to, you'd better believe I changed first anyway.

You never go wrong looking more professional than what's expected. Ever.

Comment

You should dress your best for any job interview.

But on a lighter note... don't you watch Hawaii 5-0???? NOBODY WEARS A TIE!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sierra259 View Post
        On one hand, if I wear the suit, I'll look good and respectful, but at the risk of distancing myself from island culture. On the other, if I wear the aloha shirt, I'll be more comfortable and fit in better, at the risk of looking unprofessional.

http://shidler.hawaii.edu/Default.aspx?tabid=890

I think the pic of the businessmen says it all. Personally, I feel the three piece suit is a little to formal and stuffy. Take a walk in downtown Honolulu and you will see all sorts of professionals dressed in aloha shirts and slacks. It is the business suit for the islands! Just pick out a nice combo, don't worry about appearing too "unprofessional".
        Last edited by bigislander72; 03-28-2011, 01:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bigislander72 View Post
          http://shidler.hawaii.edu/Default.aspx?tabid=890

I think the pic of the businessmen says it all. Personally, I feel the three piece suit is a little to formal and stuffy. Take a walk in downtown Honolulu and you will see all sorts of professionals dressed in aloha shirts and slacks. It is the business suit for the islands! Just pick out a nice combo, don't worry about appearing too "unprofessional".
          As stated, I am going with what MPD and HPD told me to tell him.....and I think he should stick to that......

Yes, locals/on-island hires will be dressing like that..... but he needs to stand above them to get the job.....

Comment

Stick with Bearcat's advice. Wear the suit and be confident wearing it.

Good luck and safe travels.

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat357 View Post
              As stated, I am going with what MPD and HPD told me to tell him.....and I think he should stick to that......

Yes, locals/on-island hires will be dressing like that..... but he needs to stand above them to get the job.....
              +1

Go with the suit and be remembered as the one who stood out among all the others.

Comment

Well I successfully passed my oral board! The captain even told me that I was "the most well spoken and confident applicant" he'd seen out of all of his interviews!I spent the entire rest of the day peeing in cups and filling in tiny bubbles for the psych and poly.

Thank you everyone for your help! I went with the suit and super-shined shoes, and I think it worked.

Comment

Glad to hear. Keep it up!

Comment

Whatever you do, make sure you brush up on your Don Ho trivia.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocOYBrQfJb4

Comment

Congratulations sir, hope the rest of the process goes as well for you.

Comment

Island formal is acceptable IF you're a "local".
                        Today's Quote:

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
                        Albert Einstein

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4732 users online. 291 members and 4441 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X