Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawaiian interview customs

Hey all,

I just received a "call back" from Maui County PD for an interview and further processing (and hopefully a conditional offer) in 2 weeks. While I am very excited, I also have a bit of a conundrum.

Normally, I would wear a freshly pressed, conservative suit, with a solid color tie and a white shirt to any pre-employment meeting with anyone at any department. But from what I'm told, that may not be advisable to wear for Maui, both comfort-wise and tradition-wise. I was thinking of wear a nice, solid or lightly patterned button up shirt, with pressed khaki pants (nice leather belt as well) and a nice pair of freshly polished dress shoes.

Would this be advisable? Or does anyone else have some serious suggestions? Mind you, I'm from CA.

Thank you in advance!

Call the staff and ask what type of attire is considered appropriate.
    Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

When I interviewed for Maui PD, I wore a dress shirt and sport coat with a pair of dockers. Most of the others interviewing at the same time were dressed similar. A couple folks were wearing suits, but I think they came from the East Coast. This was back in the early 90s', so as DAL suggested, you might want to call HR and ask what would be appropriate.
      Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

Just emailed one of my buddies that works for MPD.....will advise what he says.....

Comment

In Honolulu I have been told that people often come in aloha shirts and khackis with nice shoes and belt to their interviews. An aloha shirt is what mainlanders commonly refer to as a "Hawaiian Shirt".

Comment

Buddy stated that Suit/tie/dress shirt/shined shows would be very much in order for MPD....along with HPD for that matter...

Yes, locals will show up in Aloha Shirts and Khackis......but he said you want to be above that.....and really show you want the job.....

Good luck...

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat357 View Post
              Buddy stated that Suit/tie/dress shirt/shined shows would be very much in order for MPD....along with HPD for that matter...

Yes, locals will show up in Aloha Shirts and Khackis......but he said you want to be above that.....and really show you want the job.....

Good luck...

I dont' care if you are interviewing at Micky D's...............you should NEVER pass up the opportunity to make a good first impression.
              Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                I dont' care if you are interviewing at Micky D's...............you should NEVER pass up the opportunity to make a good first impression.
                Very true....but out here it's different...... Lots of locals don't have suits at all....and wear nice Aloha Shirts/Slacks for everything...such as formal events, weddings, funerals, business functions, etc.....

I went to a funeral out here a couple of months ago and everyone wore dark colored Aloha Shirts and slacks..... No suits at all...... And there were about 5K worth of folks there throughout the 3 hour deal.....

Comment

Very true....but out here it's different...... Lots of locals don't have suits at all....and wear nice Aloha Shirts/Slacks for everything...such as formal events, weddings, funerals, business functions, etc.....

I went to a funeral out here a couple of months ago and everyone wore dark colored Aloha Shirts and slacks..... No suits at all...... And there were about 5K worth of folks there throughout the 3 hour deal.....

I understand........................................ ........................

Different cultures , etc......It would., however, make you stand out in a suit........
                  Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                    Different cultures , etc......It would., however, make you stand out in a suit........
                    Very different....thats why I fit in so well....

I think if the OP does as my MPD buddy states, he will be fine....and will stand out above the ground....

Though, he will be sweating his balls off in a suit out here.....

Comment

Though, he will be sweating his balls off in a suit out here.....
                      Which is probably why the locals don't have suits for even formal occasions. Different climates call for different measures. However, some of those are being rendered meaningless because of climate-controlled buildings. Anybody here (besides me) old enough to remember when the Air Force issued summer class As and winter class As? That isn't necessary anymore because people in class As are mostly indoors and the buildings are climate controlled year-round. The U. S. Navy and U. S. Public Health Service used to have a "tropical dinner dress" uniform which had a short-sleeved shirt worn with a cummerbund and miniature medals instead of a shirt, bow tie, and jacket. It was only dropped about a year ago. The Navy's most recent revision of the junior enlisted service uniform doesn't even include a long-sleeved shirt. If I lived in Hawaii, I'd doubtless prefer some alternative to a coat and tie.

Nevertheless, if I were interviewing for a job, I'd wear the suit and tolerate the sweat.
                      Last edited by HeadDoc; 03-26-2011, 06:58 PM.
                      "Son, you are a walkin' violation of the laws of nature...But we don't enforce them laws."

I am just a country boy tryin' to make some sense
                      But I'd like to ask the Congress, I'd like to ask the President
                      "Can ya tell me where all the money went?"
                      We might not be broke but we're badly bent!

The Tractors -- "Badly Bent" from the album Owner's Manual

"Common sense. So rare, it should be a super power." Exodus 259

Comment

Thank you all for your replies!

It looks like I'll be taking my suit with me. Gonna have to shine my shoes though, I can't see my reflection!

EDIT: Once again, I'd usually go for the suit, but because of the climate differences and cultural differences, I didn't want to make an accidental transgression. On one hand, if I wear the suit, I'll look good and respectful, but at the risk of distancing myself from island culture. On the other, if I wear the aloha shirt, I'll be more comfortable and fit in better, at the risk of looking unprofessional.
                        Last edited by Sierra259; 03-26-2011, 05:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DAL View Post
                          Call the staff and ask what type of attire is considered appropriate.
                          if you call them it's not going to help you in anyway. Unless you're doing a PT test wear your good suit.

Comment

Originally posted by wirefire2 View Post
                            if you call them it's not going to help you in anyway. Unless you're doing a PT test wear your good suit.
                            Speaking of PT tests, I wore a button up shirt and nice pants, then changed before the test began.

Comment

And if you're applying in Texas, MAKE SURE your hat's a Stetson; you can relax a little on the brand of cowboy boots. Only dress spurs are acceptable at most departments.
                              If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

---Jack Handey

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3998 users online. 258 members and 3740 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X