Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey in Cali we can't get two years on a juvi unless he commits murder. Part of the lesson here is not to just throw out the spike strips and not pay attention. You have to be alert at all times in our job and then you can still get hurt. Hope he recovers fully.
    Budda sat in front of a wall and when he stood up he was enlightened. I sat in front of a wall and when I stood up the wall was enlightened.

We forge our skills in the fire of our will.

Comment

Public testimony at capitol hearing gets emotional
      by Jackie Johnson on February 4, 2010

in Politics & Government

A bill would create tougher penalties in situations where an offender causes injury to a law enforcement officer while resisting, obstructing, or attempting to flee. Deputy Dale Veto with the Dane County Sheriff’s Department has been working in law enforcement for approximately 25 years.

Veto testifies about a life-changing incident in March of 2008 in broad daylight near Madison. It involved a high-speed chase with a reckless 15-year old driver in a stolen vehicle. Veto’s squad was parked nearby, as he monitored the situation on the radio. He recalls putting down the road spikes and within an instant the car’s driver deliberately turned toward him at a high rate of speed and struck him down.

Veto spent one month at UW hospital with two badly shattered legs, muscle damage, and a broken shoulder. Under current law, in such situations, if prosecutors cannot prove that an offender had “intent” to harm an officer, the charge is only a misdemeanor. Veto says he’s serving a longer sentence than the juvenile who nearly killed him.

This legislation (AB-269 cosponsored by Rep. Chris Danou and Senator Jim Sullivan) would make it a felony for offenders to hurt officers while obstructing or attempting to flee.

Veto says on January 4 of this year he was cleared by his doctor to return to light duty — almost two years after the incident. He hopes to return to full duty by July, otherwise he says his career in law enforcement will come to an end.
      This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

AND IT GETS BETTER!!

Four days after Gulley was released from the Juvenile Facility he stole another car........this time he was sentenced to 11 years State pen!

http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/loc...64da817ea.html
        This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

Originally posted by deputy x 2 View Post
          AND IT GETS BETTER!!

Four days after Gulley was released from the Juvenile Facility he stole another car........this time he was sentenced to 11 years State pen!

http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/loc...64da817ea.html

This is almost as bad as that parolee that was released and soon after killed a LEO............

Things need to change..
          Live with honor, and let not your death be born by the pallbearers of disgrace, cruelty, weakness, and fear.

Comment

I have seen this happen in real life, that officer wasn't as lucky..

Comment

Any agency that has a protective service mission knows that a vehicle is a lethat weapon capable of deadly force. As this is a common sense call and is written into PSD operations all around the governmnet, I can't understand how there was a question of intention here.

M-11
              “All men dream...... But not equally..
              Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
              but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
              for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

Comment

Originally posted by rwandrie View Post
                This is almost as bad as that parolee that was released and soon after killed a LEO............

Things need to change..
                Things need to change quick.

Looks like the "War on Cops" has spread to the D.A's and legislatures.

Comment

I always thought that just the evading arrest in a car was a felony. It seems like it should be.

Comment

I'm confused...
                    Two years for stealing/fleeing/hitting & seriously injuring an officer. (A body crime as we call it.)
                    Eleven years for a property crime? Did he get the extended prison sentence since his probation was revoked?

Comment

The first offence the suspect was a juvi...I am going to guess he was tried as an adult on the second offense.
                      Budda sat in front of a wall and when he stood up he was enlightened. I sat in front of a wall and when I stood up the wall was enlightened.

We forge our skills in the fire of our will.

Comment

Holy S**t is right.

He said, Dale we don't believe this was an intentional act. He was simply trying to avoid the road spikes, and while doing so he hit you."
                        How would that play the other way around?

"Mr. Gulley, we don't believe this was an intentional act. He was simply trying to shoot out the tires, and while doing so he shot you."

Comment

First thing we do is kill all the lawyers....

It's not for him (the prosecutor) if it was intentional or not. That's a jury's job. I'd be calling my own dirtbag lawyer and suing for prosecutorial misconduct.

This is what you get when they let for profit corporate schools have law degrees, you get jerks that don't care about cops anymore getting the jobs becuase the lawyer pool is so flooded that they offer crap pay and get crap lawyers to fill them.
                          Last edited by wirefire2; 03-22-2011, 12:41 AM.

Comment

Too bad the little piece of s%$* did not catch about 15 rounds so the world would be a better place. Typical court system!!!

Comment

Geez, that pesky ban on "cruel and unusual punishment" in the constitution.... I would love to go Tonya Harding on Gulley's legs with a Louisville Slugger. Eye for an eye is more my style.

Comment

I know that it is not alway possible based on the situation, but try to plan your location for spike deployment so that you can use your car for cover. Stand in line with your car, at a distance, so that if they turd decides to come at you, he has to go through your car first. It may give you the few seconds you need to get out of the way .

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5522 users online. 339 members and 5183 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X