Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Young people Tweet their immigration fears away, take to Facebook to set up rallies

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Young people Tweet their immigration fears away, take to Facebook to set up rallies

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/...ears_away.html

Immigrant kids have been flooding Twitter to take the shame and secrecy away from being undocumented.

Last week, Melissa Garcia Velez, 18, tweeted, "I'm undocumented, unafraid and unapologetic."

The Colombian immigrant and Lehman College freshman wants to make the hashtag "#undocumented" a trending topic this month and get young people to speak up for the first time about being here illegally.

Organizers have also urged immigrants to share stories as Facebook status updates and have planned "Coming Out of the Shadows" rallies in Manhattan and the Bronx this week as part of a national campaign.

"I think the power of the social-network platforms is amazing. Everybody pretty much is now on Twitter, even the President," said Daniela Alulema, 23, an undocumented Ecuadorian immigrant who works as a bookkeeper and lives in Ridgewood, Queens.

"We're not letting other people decide who we are and what we are."

Alulema, now a core member of the nonprofit New York State Youth Leadership Council, first came forward as undocumented two years ago.

She has been giving others advice this year. Her group cautions kids to take it step by step. Alulema suggests starting in person with a teacher or friend before trying to talk in front of a big group.

"It's always a little bit nerve-wracking at the beginning because you don't know what to expect," Alulema said.

"You feel like you're risking your safety and your family's safety. Looking back, it's something that frees you up. It's more empowering than scary."

[email protected]

As a tax paying, law abiding citizen, this makes me sick to read such brazen disregard for the laws in America. I posted this in General LE topics because I do not understand why this is acceptable. I know this has going on for quite awhile, and our president has made the "dream act" a top priority (thank god it did not pass). I hear about the chaos on the border and read a story recently of a Border Agent fatally shot. What really made me feel rage, was that he was only equipped with rubber bullets. Who is sanctioning this madness? Are we not a country of laws? Why should we reward law breaking, when I as a [I]citizen[I] , I am not given a break? The fact is, I don't want a break. If I was to break the law, I should suffer the consequences and so should they. I am really perplexed, why would anyone, with a brain, support the nightmare act. Sorry, but this particular issue ****es me off. I am all for immigration legally, that is how my Irish/Italian/Russian ancestors came here legally,through Ellis Island in the 1900's.
    Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
    ~Mark Twain

Do you want to know who you are? Don't ask. Act! Action will delineate and define you.
    ~Thomas Jefferson

"Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity."
    — Horace Mann

Well, that should make things easier for CBP/ICE/Marshals!
    Go get 'em!

Comment

Here you go guy's, have at it.

http://reportanillegalalien.com/page3.html

http://www.reportillegals.com/form.html

http://www.endillegalimmigration.com...on/index.shtml
      Last edited by Zimmy; 03-18-2011, 01:25 AM.
      We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions" -Ronald Reagan

Comment

Oh and I just added Melissa Garcia Velez on Facebook. Let's see if she has her employer listed.
        We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions" -Ronald Reagan

Comment

"We're not letting other people decide who we are and what we are."
          Ok, we'll decide where you are.

Comment

I think she just accidentally made herself documented. Have fun climing that wall sweetheart.
            I yell "PIKACHU" before I tase someone.

Comment

Could an educational institution get in trouble for accepting an illegal? Because they should.

Comment

Originally posted by AK_Alex View Post
                Could an educational institution get in trouble for accepting an illegal? Because they should.
                I agree 100%. I am also wondering if they have drivers licenses? If they do, then why?

Comment

Originally posted by AK_Alex View Post
                  Isn't Cali giving illegals scholarships?
                  Those of us that are in this profession have much thicker skins than the average person. Your "insults" are not even a good pimple on the *** of what truly bothers us. -Iowa 1603

Comment

I volunteer to help deport them.

Comment

Originally posted by Doughboy213 View Post
                      Probably. California loves to waste tax dollars on illegal immigrants.

The Los Angeles mayor is pathetic.

Comment

yes, some illegals do in fact have driver's licenses. New Mexico gives them licenses I know for a fact.

Every educational facility in Arizona has illegals in class. They are not required to show a birth certificate to enroll in public schools....they say you need it, but if you can't provide it, oh well! It's all about funding, every child in a seat, illegal or not is more money and funding to the school. It's wrong and I disagree with it and it is a disgrace to though of us that pay taxes and. Here in these neck of the woods, if they say they're illegal, i'm allowed to call ICE and have them removed! So go ahead and let me know....
                        "When I close my eyes.....I'll see you on the other side....!!!"

Hate to put it this way skippy, buy every night I suit up and climb in the cruiser I'm at war. I'm always outnumbered, potentially out gunned and always behind enemy lines.

Comment

Originally posted by Doughboy213 View Post
                          And most private universities want to pull a profit so they wouldn't care if someone is illegal as long as they have the dough.
                          Life is what you make of it

Comment

Originally posted by Zimmy View Post
                            Probably. California loves to waste tax dollars on illegal immigrants.

The Los Angeles mayor is pathetic.
                            Yep I agree
                            Budda sat in front of a wall and when he stood up he was enlightened. I sat in front of a wall and when I stood up the wall was enlightened.

We forge our skills in the fire of our will.

Comment

It took my best friend and his family YEARS to move to the states LEGALLY. The rest of these jokers can wait their turn. Meanwhile Barry Osama lets them spit in Americans faces while they exploit OUR country and its resources. Any politician that supports a pro-illegal document like the dream act is a joke and a waste of space. Its funny how the people that support America financially with tax dollars are the ones that get the short end of the stick.

I hope this girl gets deported. In reality though she'll probably be the next school board or city council that gets elected in her city.

*facepalm*
                              Sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5574 users online. 312 members and 5262 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X