300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ouch..............car stuck on train tracks

The video on the web site states the PD car was "stuck" on the tracks.........

http://www.kcrg.com/news/local/Train...118073354.html

CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa - No one was hurt when a train struck a Cedar Rapids police car that been chasing a vehicle early Wednesday morning.

The movie-like sequence began when officers tried to make a traffic stop shortly before 3 a.m. It ended with the suspect getting away after the crash near the intersection of Otis Road and Cole Street SE.

Lt. Dominic Wibe said an officer initially pulled over a white sport-utility vehicle, but the male driver sped off and headed for the Sac and Fox Trail.

The driver first went on a frontage road along the railroad tracks, and then drove directly down the railroad tracks, police said.

“We stopped the pursuit at that point, but one of the squad cars didn’t stop soon enough, and was struck by the train,” Wibe said.

The driver of the SUV stopped, got out and took off running. Police said he was still at-large.

Wibe said trains were coming in both directions on the two sets of tracks, and police were able to notify the train operators to stop, but not before one train hit the police car.

“Lucky for (the suspect), he was on the right (tracks),” Wibe said.

An investigation was continuing. The SUV was impounded by police.

Wibe said there would be warrants out for the man’s arrest later today.
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Note to train: PIT only the bad guy's car.

Glad nobody got hurt.

"There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots."
    ^^^ Stolen from a FaceBook quote^^^
    Just saw that for the first time. My first good laugh of the day.
    --
    Capital Punishment means never having to say "you again?"

Comment

Maybe they should include a short section of RR tracks into offensive pursuit driving school (or whatever they call it ? :-). I was just reading somewhere about some fire equipment that got parked on a RR track and destroyed when the train hit it.

I remember as a kid in the 1970's there was a section of tracks we used as our back country highway, it even had some switches...that would move without any warning......lucky nobody got a foot pinned in one actually.
      Just pay your dues, and be quiet :-)

Comment

I hope he has to pay for a new cop car.
        It's not that liberals are ignorant. It's just that they know so much that isn't so. Ronald Reagan

TSA, I would rather be felt up than blown up.

Comment

Originally posted by RR_Security View Post
          Note to train: PIT only the bad guy's car.

Glad nobody got hurt.

Just saw that for the first time. My first good laugh of the day.
          This is on the main E/W Union Pacific tracks through Iowa---------------usually a LONG train w/coal heading east & cars heading west.
          Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

Comment

Originally posted by willbird View Post
            I was just reading somewhere about some fire equipment that got parked on a RR track and destroyed when the train hit it.
            Yeah, I think it was last year that some big city had an aerial ladder truck center-punched by Amtrak when they left the truck draped over a grade crossing. For cripes sake, jakes, either have your dispatcher call the RR dispatcher, or relocate the lumber wagon to a safer spot. It's not convenient to get tools off the truck if it's 100 feet or more down the track.

I remember as a kid in the 1970's there was a section of tracks we used as our back country highway, it even had some switches...that would move without any warning......lucky nobody got a foot pinned in one actually.
            Just one more of the ways to get hurt on RR property.
            A few years ago, a guy from MA got the front tires of his ATV wedged into the tapered guard rails on a small trestle. He and his son got out of the way before a passenger train came along and "unstuck" the ATV--and launched it out into the weeds.

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
            This is on the main E/W Union Pacific tracks through Iowa---------------usually a LONG train w/coal heading east & cars heading west.
            Hmm. Sounds like the kind of place where you better call the railroad's ENS number about an hour before, so the train can stop in time.
            --

Comment

Actually they have a manned yard about 1-2 miles away....................west of the scene.

Last I knew the speed limit on that particular section of track was 45 mph. Takes a LONG time to stop. The place this took place was on the very east side of the city..........the train was either slowing to that 45 (from 55 plus) (west bound) or just ramping up (eastbound). I haven't heard which tracks it was on.

Comment

Just because the engineer sees you that doesn't mean he can stop in time, everyone yields to trains even emergency vehicles
                Life is what you make of it

Comment

Wasn't it in Iowa where Cops showed some dillhole rookie getting in a pursuit with a dirt bike, he followed it onto the tracks, got stuck and then heard the train coming?
                  Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Originally posted by ateamer View Post
                    Wasn't it in Iowa where Cops showed some dillhole rookie getting in a pursuit with a dirt bike, he followed it onto the tracks, got stuck and then heard the train coming?
                    I was remembering that earlier, and thinking it was another city with two words in its name. I think it was Des Moines, and the officer wasn't exactly a rookie. There were two trains coming, but I think one stopped to do some switching, and the other apparently got a message to hold back until the tow truck got the cruiser out of there.
                    The car was probably only hung up on one rail, otherwise it could have shunted the signals against the oncoming train(s). That would be a Good Thing, but life doesn't always work out like that. I think the undercarriage of the patrol car got munched.
                    --

Comment

Just one more of the ways to get hurt on RR property.
                      A few years ago, a guy from MA got the front tires of his ATV wedged into the tapered guard rails on a small trestle. He and his son got out of the way before a passenger train came along and "unstuck" the ATV--and launched it out into the weeds.
                      We were working a Saturday at one job I had, a guy I was working with got a phone call, he came back white as a ghost....really shaken emotionally. A guy that he had been drinking with the night before got killed that way, he and his buddy were trying to free the ATV, the train hit the one guy and threw him a LOOOONG way...his buddy ran up to him to see if he was ok, and half his head was gone, DOA. For a freaking ATV.

Bill
                      Just pay your dues, and be quiet :-)

Comment

Originally posted by ateamer View Post
                        I was remembering that earlier, and thinking it was another city with two words in its name. I think it was Des Moines, and the officer wasn't exactly a rookie. There were two trains coming, but I think one stopped to do some switching, and the other apparently got a message to hold back until the tow truck got the cruiser out of there.
                        The car was probably only hung up on one rail, otherwise it could have shunted the signals against the oncoming train(s). That would be a Good Thing, but life doesn't always work out like that. I think the undercarriage of the patrol car got munched.

Yea-----It was Des Moines, he was not a rookie------he was actually a senior officer and an FTO and it was on COPS.

I knew that officer when he worked a small town near me----------good officer . His command staff supported him 100% in what he did-----as it is pretty much accepted practice around here.

Yea he caught a lot of crap over the clip............................

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                          Yea he caught a lot of crap over the clip............................
                          Photos like this taped to his locker door?

The rubber-tired ones are kind of a pain to get onto the track, and probably not great for road pursuit, but the ride is probably a helluva lot nicer when you're chasing a dirt bike down the track. Just remember to clear it with the RR dispatcher so you don't suddenly see a headlight and ditch lights right in front of (or right behind) you.

BTW, I'm stealing your stolen tagline ("inquisitive idiots") for future use.
                          Last edited by RR_Security; 03-17-2011, 09:53 AM.
                          --

Comment

Hey RR Security, how fast can a vehicle equipped with the train wheels get going? Lets say there is 75 miles of straight track and there is no trains they would have to worry about. Lets even say its a brand new 2012 vehicle with a big heavy duty turbo charged engine. You pick, Ford, Chevy, Truck, SUV etc.....

I would never do it but there is a section of straight track out here in Utah that parallels the interstate. The tracks are pretty much perfectly straight for about 100 miles or so. I've seen RR vehicles equipped with train wheels before and I always thought it would be fun to drive on the tracks with a vehicle like that lol. I would never tho. Its just a curiosity I guess. LOL
                            The only thing I hear when you say anything is "blah blah blah I'm a dirty whore".

Originally posted by Michigan
                            I don't want to sound gay...

But I'd do him.
                            Do you like airplanes and aviation??JOIN http://forums.officer.com/forums/group.php?groupid=20

My goal is to have the longest most annoying signature line ever.

Comment

Guidelines are in place on when to initiate or stop a chase that many variables, including the location, time of day and weather conditions, but there are no specific rules about railroad tracks, Hamblin said.
                              Sounds like someone is about to have a policy named after him..

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6352 users online. 335 members and 6017 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X