Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Ready/Prepared Are We?

Hi everyone,

As most of you already know about the Japan earth quake and tsunami that hit the country, for the most part, the Japanese are acting very civil. Of course, many attribute this to their culture, and I believe this to be very true. While, it is impossible to be prepared for every disaster, the Japanese are moving forward and relatively with no signs of degradation in social behavior.

This is going to come out wrong, and may be offend some of you, but I think this must be said. When I look how the Japanese are behaving thus far, one can not help but notice their civility. When I compare with how we behaved during Katrina, I hate to say it but, I feel embarrassed. Not just in the General Government's response, but how we acted towards one another and what we were willing to do to our very own countrymen. Again, my apologies to any one if I offended you, but these are my observations and it pains me to say it. However, I do think it must be said.

With that being said, my questions to you at O.com are this, how prepared are we for our next national crisis? Such as the possible "big one" that is supposed to hit California? How prepared are we really for the next big hurricane? I do not see much preparedness, and I was wondering, with regards to LE, are their protocols that your XO's given you in case of an emergency?

TIA

Your not in Japan to see the full extent of what's going on my friend. I'm sure there is a lot of "things" going on that are not privy to American cameras and news people.
    Katrina the news loved showing the worst in people and failed miserably to show many of the brave men & woman who did their part as a community.

Are we prepared?? Is anyone ever truly prepared to lose 2000+ people and find the majority of them washing up to shore or under ruble? We would do what we have done since the dawn of man we would adapt and move forward day by day surviving.
    MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Comment

Originally posted by jcioccke View Post
      Your not in Japan to see the full extent of what's going on my friend. I'm sure there is a lot of "things" going on that are not privy to American cameras and news people.
      Katrina the news loved showing the worst in people and failed miserably to show many of the brave men & woman who did their part as a community.

Are we prepared?? Is anyone ever truly prepared to lose 2000+ people and find the majority of them washing up to shore or under ruble? We would do what we have done since the dawn of man we would adapt and move forward day by day surviving.
      Thanks for your response!

Comment

My pleasure and trust me (not saying you are) I worry as well if that situation happened here how would we react? I worry as a father, husband, and brother. It's scary too think about and a real possibility no one truly knows.

I try to think of 911 and how the whole country banded together and how my fellow NY'ers jumped in and helped. How individuals from as far away as OH drove to NYC to assist. That's what keeps my spirits up when I have those concerns.

Hope that helps answer your question.
        MDRDEP:

Comment

Emergency preparedness is not part of most American's vocabulary. People look at you like you've got three heads when you tell them they should have thirty days worth of water and food (and a way to cook it) in their house. Nobody wants to believe a natural disaster is going to happen in their neighborhood.

Comment

You must have had that conversation with my wife. She looks at me sideways when I stock up on water, batteries and candles etc.
            MDRDEP:

Comment

I have a half assed kit in the basement.

Basically food and water. We also have a med-kit and crank radio. I am a flashlight nut, so lights and batteries are everywhere.

Been considering getting a rifle and some rounds stored just in case. I am not one who thinks civilization is going to end anytime soon, but if it does, I want something other than my glock and shotgun.

Comment

Originally posted by Raiden View Post
                Such as the possible "big one" that is supposed to hit California?

Very ready.

Originally posted by Raiden View Post
                How prepared are we really for the next big hurricane? I do not see much preparedness, and I was wondering, with regards to LE, are their protocols that your XO's given you in case of an emergency?
                50 gallons of gas
                6 weapons - 500 round minimum per caliber
                2 cases of MREs - You only need 1 MRE per day by calorie count
                hobo stove
                natural gas generator
                NVGs
                boards pre-cut for windows with peep slots cut in

You know... Stuff
                The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Originally posted by jcioccke
                After I hit it, I would be disgusted with her

Comment

Originally posted by 10-7Alpha View Post

Very ready.

50 gallons of gas
                  hobo stove
                  natural gas generator
                  NVGs

You know... Stuff
                  I like you.

Comment

Me too. I want to bunker down there.
                    MDRDEP:

Comment

Lol thanks I guess.

I can not wait until we get some land so I can make an effective semi-safe position.

The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Originally posted by jcioccke
                      After I hit it, I would be disgusted with her

Comment

Okay so we all understand what we individually would do to prepare ourselves for a disaster. What about on a larger scale? Look how long the response to Katrina took. Unfortunately in our society, when things go amuck, anarchy prevails. We've seen it time and again. From the 1863 Draft Riots in New York, the Watts and Rodney King riots in LA, Hurricane Katrina, the NYC Blackout...the earthquake in Haiti... the list goes on. Without a presence of order by emergency services, things fall apart. I think if we were to see something similar occur here again, which we will, I think there would have to be immediate response on all levels. There has to be communication on all levels. There can't be johnson measuring competitions between different entities or anything like that. What does this boil down to.... we're screwed.

Don't worry. ICS will save us all

Comment

I'm not so sure yet the response to Katrina was such a great thing. I think if nothing else it showed people they better be prepared for the worst even if the worst never comes.
                          And if you see men with large guns going door to door it's time to get out of dodge, I mean just saying..

Like jcioccke said though, My wife use to think I was loosing it storing basics like water, food, med supplies, bullets, rope, duck tape ext ext. I think a few times she thought it was just army training gone wrong lol.
                          I do think when we are storing up for our selfs would not hurt to think of a few friends, family, neighbors in order to help where we can. Store a little extra. This is what makes America great. In times of distress people who are not prepared will be looking and needing those that are for guidance IMO

But I do have to thank Obama and the last few years because she has really started to look around watch the news, follow politics, and review runners when voting more so now then ever before.
                          A few days ago she asked if a tent would be wise in our stock, She seen them on sale. I said sure! I didn't have the heart to tell her we have one I just let her go get it another... I am a blessed man!
                          Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless - like water.

Comment

Originally posted by 10-7Alpha View Post

Very ready.

50 gallons of gas
                            hobo stove
                            natural gas generator
                            NVGs

You know... Stuff
                            I am wanting one of those soler powered generators I have seen advertised. Anyone else seen those or see them working?
                            Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless - like water.

Comment

10-7Alpha is going to survive the zombie apocalypse!

I'm not sure how things would go down if something like that were to happen. I'm starting to get a little fearful, though.
                              sigpic

Originally posted by mitojo
                              I was once thanked by two citizens in one day. Weird.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7081 users online. 365 members and 6716 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X