300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OneAdam12 View Post
    Actullay if you look at where it is posted she can post her opinion. General Law Enforcement Topics is under the Public Forum. Thanks OneAdam12 but I believe he doesn't see that the OP posted the question under general topics not topics concerning interrogations. Honest mistake. I know enough by now to double check where I'm replying after making a few mistakes myself.

No you did nothing wrong.I was scared for a bit!

You are welcome here it is a public forum area.

It says, " Forum - Public Forums - General Law Enforcement - Topics Concerning interrogations.
    I'm old......that's all.

Comment

If you have to start your reply with, "Im not LE but I think...." (Translation: I dont have a clue but heres my opinion) you might not wanna answer the question. just my .02
      Originally posted by crass cop
      Just do it in front of a camera and try not to get a boner and you shoudl be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Justsaying View Post
        Maybe its best if we don't reply in all of the threads, and not the ones where we don't have the answers. I don't know what LEOs can and can not do while interrogating and I guess you know just as much as I do. I only know what I have seen on TV and some things I have been told but I usually get the stories about the funny or crazy calls. Sometimes our opinion is not the kind of post needed and this thread is looking for facts not opinions.

A time or two I read something I didn't agree with so I kept my opinion to myself, I am allowed to be a member and want to be welcome here, at times silence is golden.
        I believe your advice to be solid and true. I'd been on the "victim" end and was just offering my opinion as to my experience as he wanted answers from all,not just LEO.

I do believe I will read more,reply less and triple think before I answer from now on. Some areas just strike my interest more than others and I've been trying to just add my .02 worth and not post as much. I still need a lot of work! LOL!
        I'm old......that's all.

Comment

Originally posted by wyofirebirdbaby View Post
          This is the general LE topic forum. I'm allowed to answer here. What did I do wrong? How was I anti-LEO or having an inappropriate post? I didn't realize I did something wrong.
          Originally posted by Floyd_jones View Post
          Read more post less you'll be amazed at how much you learn, and could possibly get the majority of your questions answered.
          And your problem is...

Once again the OP did NOT post in an LE only section. You are being rude for no reason.
          Pete Malloy, "The only thing black and white about this job is the car."

Comment

Originally posted by LaPlaca View Post
            If you have to start your reply with, "Im not LE but I think...." (Translation: I dont have a clue but heres my opinion) you might not wanna answer the question. just my .02
            Yes but it was asked in general questions and I didn't want him to mistake me or my answer for one from LE. I added my opinion and very little knowledge of the situation, from a victims end and not the interrogation room part but I thought it was on the same track. (That's what I get for thinking again! Same book,wrong page. ) Best to have not said anything but it isn't always bad to get all sides of what's involved in a "case". I know it's a lot of hours of work,involves a lot of different people and that 6 different stories can come from the 6 people involved.

I have very little knowledge but more than some and less than most. I wouldn't have answered at all if I had no clue to some aspects of a crime without direct involvement.

I will be better informed from now on before I reply to any more posts.
            I'm old......that's all.

Comment

Thanks for the information so far, its enlightening. I'm sorry if this should have belonged in Ask A Cop. I thought maybe prosecutors or investigators hang here, and didn't know if those qualified as "cops" hence I solicited the question in the general section, as well as not needing research work, just something to fill in my ignorant gaps about the law. I'll be more careful next time I post.

So, if I get the gist of it:

1. Most of the shows are partially correct in that a cop can use deception
              2. The shows are wrong in that physical threats cannot be used.
              3. The information gathered has to be able to be backed up by other evidence. Most shows are wrong here as well. The cop gets a confession on most shows then case closed or it leads to another bad guy getting nailed.
              4. Its highly skilled when done properly, so the information is gathered correctly, an innocent person doesn't confess out of fear, etc.
              5. There are legal limits as to how much deception/type of deception. I can understand why these limits wouldn't be posted here.

What's amazing is people even talk at all. Don't they know they don't have to say a word, with or without a lawyer present? Heck even I know that and I'm just Joe Shmoe citizen. Fortunately, I'm guessing most criminals aren't the brightest bulbs in the box and their own big mouth gets them busted! Score one for the good guys.

As many threads here, the answers are eye openers (hence my user name, lol). I'm guessing someone like Clint Eastwood wouldn't last long as an investigator!
              Last edited by eyesopen; 03-12-2011, 04:34 PM.
              The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground." - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

you

Originally posted by eyesopen View Post
                I'll start this post by saying I've never been in this situation myself, nothing more than a traffic ticket in my life. I would like to be informed by the folks here gain clarity because most of what I know about this is probably wrong because like the majority of Joe Public my "education" about law comes from distorted cop and lawyer shows. They tend to make cops look like rogues, hotshots, etc. and lawyers as artists (whereas I think many of them are con artists!).

Anyway, on the shows, and from what I could find in a quick online search ( http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/script...=394&invol=731 ) cops are allowed to lie or use trickery with the person being interrogated in order to gain information and/or a confession. Am I wrong on this and possibly misread the court case? If not wrong, how far does this go, what are the limits they can use? I know the crap I've seen on Miami Vice (understatement) and other shows isn't real... so what is?

The reason I posted here instead of ask a cop is I'm not a student trolling for term paper (I'm a middle aged man with kids), I'm not in legal trouble, etc. so I'm not looking for concrete information just from cops, but rather looking to clear up some of the junk pseudo law I've seen on the boob tube.
                can limit them because you have the right to keep your silence until trial. that's it. if you know how to shut your mouth and blow in the dice. my suggestion is if you knew you done wrong, you should admit and get over it.
                break censorship chains

Comment

2. The shows are wrong in that physical threats cannot be used.
                  You can never physically threaten someone for a confession. It has to be freely and voluntarily given.

3. The information gathered has to be able to be backed up by other evidence. Most shows are wrong here as well. The cop gets a confession on most shows then case closed or it leads to another bad guy getting nailed.
                  Ideally but not necessarily.

4. Its highly skilled when done properly, so the information is gathered correctly, an innocent person doesn't confess out of fear, etc.
                  That's (pardon the expression) liberal fantasy crap. There is a mental illness in which people confess to crimes they didn't commit but those people are usually easy to weed out (they only know the information from the news). Other than that people generally don't confess to something they didn't do.

What's amazing is people even talk at all.
                  We don't deal with the brightest bulbs in the string. EVERYONE knows they are so much smarter than me therefore everyone KNOWS they can out-lie me. No one ever succeeds.

Comment

I believe your advice to be solid and true. I'd been on the "victim" end and was just offering my opinion as to my experience as he wanted answers from all,not just LEO.

I do believe I will read more,reply less and triple think before I answer from now on. Some areas just strike my interest more than others and I've been trying to just add my .02 worth and not post as much. I still need a lot of work! LOL!

I find some threads interesting but I don't know enough to add to it or feel its best to keep quiet. I do ramble on here more than I should but I am trying to shut up, I don't think these guys want to hear some of my about me stuff and I am backing off that.
                    It's not that liberals are ignorant. It's just that they know so much that isn't so. Ronald Reagan

TSA, I would rather be felt up than blown up.

Comment

I find some threads interesting but I don't know enough to add to it or feel its best to keep quiet. I do ramble on here more than I should but I am trying to shut up, I don't think these guys want to hear some of my about me stuff and I am backing off that.
                      I'm going to try to follow your lead and do the same. Ask less questions that need personal info,reply less and watch how I word things.

Only replys to my posts for the time I have left to be on the computer and I'll let some time go by before posting again! Trial and error is how one learns and I'm shooting for not being so good at the error part!

Thanks to all who are being patient and tolerant of me while guiding me in the right directions!
                      I'm old......that's all.

Comment

!
                        As both of you know , I spent the vast majority of my career in Corrections...................but I am still a Certified Police Officer (inactive) in Iowa. I am pretty careful to stay out of threads like this-----or even in the traffic section (unless I can expand on an applicable Iowa law/code) because it has been sooooooo long since I did those types of jobs.

I tend to stick to my expertise-------------or at least things I am comfortable in knowing I have up to date knowledge of.
                        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                          As both of you know , I spent the vast majority of my career in Corrections...................but I am still a Certified Police Officer (inactive) in Iowa. I am pretty careful to stay out of threads like this-----or even in the traffic section (unless I can expand on an applicable Iowa law/code) because it has been sooooooo long since I did those types of jobs.

I tend to stick to my expertise-------------or at least things I am comfortable in knowing I have up to date knowledge of.

You have valuable info to add, I like reading what you have to say. Babysitting the thugs, from what I have seen on TV is hard and dangerous work. I have watched Lock Up and other shows that National Geographic has done on the subject, not a job for everyone, there are some extremely dangerous people/animals in prison.

Point taken.
                          Last edited by Justsaying; 03-12-2011, 08:02 PM.
                          It's not that liberals are ignorant. It's just that they know so much that isn't so. Ronald Reagan

TSA, I would rather be felt up than blown up.

Comment

Keep your mouth shut until you get an attorney. Thats the advice I give my relatives even though none has ever been in trouble with the law.
                            Though their numbers are many, as the grass upon the field, we will count them at the end of the day.

Comment

The problem with this question (at the top of the post) is that when it comes to interrogation there is sooo many case laws out there that you do have to be careful. I will touch on a few things you can and can not do but in reality you could spend a day teaching a class on just this subject. As a result you will not get all possible answers here on a forum.
                              1) An officer can lie to a suspect during interrogation by saying something like your accomplice confessed and said he was with you.
                              2) An Officer can not make promises such as you will get a reduced sentence if you confess ( I am not sure on a federal level on this statement).
                              3) An Officer can not "Soften" a suspect. Such as you can not start the interrogation with a converstation about the suspect's favorite basketball team then try to use that in the interview to say something like, "hey us Lakers fans need to stick together, you shouldn't lie to another Lakers fan." There is a case law on doing this.
                              4) You can not use religion saying something like you will burn in hell if you do not confess.
                              5) you can not use force or threat of physical injury in order to obtain a confession.
                              There is a long class you could take on Miranda Rights and spontaneous statements. We could go on an on about what can be done or not. I stopped watching programs like CSI and Law and Order because of how many laws would have been broken by the actor/cops on the show.
                              Budda sat in front of a wall and when he stood up he was enlightened. I sat in front of a wall and when I stood up the wall was enlightened.

We forge our skills in the fire of our will.

Comment

Part of the problem is that there aren't actually "rule books" that you can use to look it up and know if a technique is or is not allowed. There is case law which is helpful, but case law only comes about when someone challenges the interrogation technique under which they were convicted. What this means is that LEOs may be using something which they believe to be perfectly acceptable and which has been used for decades when suddenly the penalty flag is thrown and that technique can't be used any more. Sometimes the court's logic is so convoluted that it leaves the LEOs scratching their heads but they are required to abide by the decision. In general, any technique which would tend to make an innocent person confess is prohibited but the variations of that are almost infinite. "We have a witness who says you did it" is usually acceptable because the suspect can say, "Your witness is wrong." On the other hand, for the officer to falsely say, "I saw you myself do it" is not acceptable because the suspect knows that in court the officer has more credibility and an innocent person might be tempted to take a plea bargain rather than try to defend against a lie in court.
                                "Son, you are a walkin' violation of the laws of nature...But we don't enforce them laws."

I am just a country boy tryin' to make some sense
                                But I'd like to ask the Congress, I'd like to ask the President
                                "Can ya tell me where all the money went?"
                                We might not be broke but we're badly bent!

The Tractors -- "Badly Bent" from the album Owner's Manual

"Common sense. So rare, it should be a super power." Exodus 259

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4220 users online. 248 members and 3972 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X