300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parents!

Grrrrrrrrrr. I brought my kids to MacDonald's tonight for their dinner. A special little treat because Daddy is away and I don't want to cook LOL Anyway, don't you just HATE it when parents let their kids stand up on the chairs and start talking to the people in the next booth? Not only talking, but prodding and annoying the &#@& out of you? My kids were sitting quietly eating..I don't know about you, but isn't the point of going out to eat to EAT? This little boy was hanging over the divider practially touching my son's food. He was making wierd faces and looked a little bit dirty, like his Mom never cut his hair or gave him a bath. His Mom was sitting with him just staring out into space. She'd get up from the table to order more food and leave the kid not even looking back ONCE the whole 10 minutes she was in line. Ummm....it's no longer the age where you can trust to leave your kids out of eyeshot! Hello!!!!!!????! This was when I got really pizzed....the boy leaned over the divider and put a french fry in his mouth and DROOLED on my son's table. That was it. I got up and moved my son. Nothing landed on his food, but I wasn't taking any chances. Then, after the Mom comes back she sits down and looks at me and says,"We live out in the boonies, you can tell my son doesn't get out much". Yeah....and I can also tell that he isn't very disciplined or clean! Poor thing to have such a lousy parent. It must have been "night out in the big town" day. Geezuz....
    "It is easier for a king to have a lie believed than a beggar to spread the truth."---Robert Strecker

Like I heard in the film "Parenthood":
    "You know, you have to have a license to fish but nyone can be a parent."
    When my son was a baby, he had a fever that wouldn't go down and I took him to the dr. Lo and behold, there was the woman who had been my roommate when I had David and she had her son. She was borderline mentally retarded and her Mother was with her as she had been when we were in the hospital.
    It was the middle of summer but she had him dressed like it was freezing outside. The baby looked like he hadn't had a bath in awhile and he was only 3 months old.
    The mother asked me why my son was there and I told her he was running a fever. She said, "Well, then why do you have him out of the house? We were always told not to take them out when they had a fever!" I said, "Ummm, I have him at the dr because he's sick". She said, "It's probably because you took him out in this weather!" I just looked at her and always wondered how that little baby was going to grow up in the atmosphere he was in. ggeezzzzzz

Comment

Funny you should mention this today.

My Sgt. and I go out to lunch at the local Chinese Buffet (mention General Tso's chicken, egg rolls, lo mein and maaki rolls and I'll follow you anywhere). A young couple with their two kids are behind us. The oldest is maybe three and full of fire. He's the kind of kid that I like to be around...creative, fun loving and just fun to be a kid with.

The fun started when he was saying "no". It wasn't in a disrespectful manner to his folks and it wasn't the normal tone of voice. If anyone listens to John Boy and Billy, you've heard the sound bite of the kid going "noooooooooo" in a semi-possessed kind of voice. That's what this kid was doing, and it was cute as hell! My Sgt., who's not fond of kids, especially those that are seen AND heard, is about to blow his corotid.

All this sets up the big final act. Just as the parents are scooping the little one and getting ready to leave, the little devil child leans over the bench right over Sarge's shoulder and is getting closer and closer to his face with this half cute/half "my head's about to spin around" look. Whatever his intentions were, his parents stopped him right before he did it, but he was definately up to something.

The only thing that would have been funnier would have been if we were in uniform.

[ 02-06-2003, 06:51 PM: Message edited by: FLLawdog ]

Comment

I can understand why you'd be annoyed but in the grand scheme of things is it that bad? He was just a little kid who didn't know any better and maybe his mom had had a rough day? I think we can all learn to be a little more patient and gentle with each other. I remember being on a train when I was about five, a woman and her young daughter were sitting next to my mom and I. The little girl was wearing beautiful glass bracelets up to her elbows on each arm. I must've stared at the for a long time because when that train stopped the woman took a huge handful of those bracelets off her daughters arm and slipped them on my wrists. I never forgot that.

Comment

Shrill, don't get me wrong here...I talked with the woman, told her it didn't bother me when it did. I am not a rude person. I wished her a good night, etc. What's wrong with moving my child so the next time the kid drools, it won't be ON my son's hamburger?
          "It is easier for a king to have a lie believed than a beggar to spread the truth."---Robert Strecker

Comment

It sounds to me as if you are a bit of a snob TPR.We are talking about another human being here, and a child at that. Maybe not everyone is as sophisticated as you are, but apparently these people are little down on their luck and possibly not as educated as you. Besides the fact, you were not at a five star restauraunt. Kids are kids are kids, no matter where they come from, they all do strange things and behave a little crazy at times, its part of being a kid. I think you need to lighten up a bit and be a little more kind to your fellow humans.
            Its only funny til someone gets hurt...then it hilarious!

Comment

Control your children in public. If you can't don't go in public with them. 'Nuff said.
              Two people can keep a secret if one of them is dead.

Comment

While I'll agree that kids are kids and are going to do many unexpected things from time to time, it's our job to teach them the proper way to behave when in public. When they misbehave, it's also our job to inform them that their behavior is not acceptable.
                The most recent incident where I found myself fuming was at my son's Tiger Cub Scout meeting. While the denmaster is trying to read information out to the kids and the parents, one child is knocking caps off of other scouts, laying on top of the table they are all sitting around, and pushing kids out of their seats. All this is happening while his mother is sitting two feet from him. When the kid did happen to glance my way...I gave him the stare that my son gets when he is doing something he knows he shouldn't. The look on the kid's face was PRICELESS!

Comment

Down on your luck and uneducated have nothing to do with instilling in your child proper behavior while in public.

Comment

So what we are saying is this, all children should behave all the time and at any age, they should know better because mommy & daddy told them so, they should sit white gloved, hands folded, face forward ,lips sealed ...ok, got it.

Sounds like the stepford children, I cut kids slack,alot....did anyone ever think that maybe, just maybe this child had a mental incapacity? Not all children have a visible deformity to indicate they have other mental or learning disabilities such as Downs Syndrome. So before we pass judgement on other peoples parenting and the fact that their children dont behave as WE want them too.......
                    Its only funny til someone gets hurt...then it hilarious!

Comment

There's a big difference between kids being kids and kids being heathens.

No one at all is saying that they want Stepford kids, only that parents do something to show that they are making the effort to teach them how to act in public. Respect is something that should be taught from an early age. If it starts too late, it's usually too late for the kid to learn and then they become rude adults.

Comment

Ohhh, I just noticed something else I gotta hit on.

I have a three year old neice that is Down's. There ARE physical attributes that show that she is Down's. As a matter of fact, the attributes are so pronounced, doctors can sometimes tell on ultrasounds that the baby may have Down's. She's all kid and her learning capacity is arrested, but she still knows right from wrong even at her age. She also knows sign language, so even with Down's she has the capability of learning. If a person as young as 3 and with Down's can learn a language that many adults who are perfectly "normal" can't comprehend, then she can be taught simple basic polite behavior, which she is learning.

If the child does have some sort of handicap, then fine, I can understand the behavior. What I can't understand is why the parent makes no effort to correct the behavior, much less apologize to the other cutomers, in this case Trooper Spouse.

Comment

quote:
                          Originally posted by slj:
                          So what we are saying is this, all children should behave all the time and at any age, they should know better because mommy & daddy told them so, they should sit white gloved, hands folded, face forward ,lips sealed ...ok, got it.

Sounds like the stepford children, I cut kids slack,alot....did anyone ever think that maybe, just maybe this child had a mental incapacity? Not all children have a visible deformity to indicate they have other mental or learning disabilities such as Downs Syndrome. So before we pass judgement on other peoples parenting and the fact that their children dont behave as WE want them too.......

sit the little bastards down, tell them to mind their manners, or get out and quit bothering others. if you can't instill manners in your children then go thru the drive-thru, get your food and take your kids home.

i don't care if it's mcdonald's OR a 5-star restaurant. i came to sit and eat and i should be allowed to do so with out some brat kicking the seat behind me, jumping up and down, sticking his head over in my seating area, or screaming and crying.

being precocious is one thing. being a loud mouth screaming brat is another.

i don't care if you are from the "boonies" or uptown. manners are manners - period!!
                          I'll post, You argue.

Comment

quote:
                            Originally posted by slj:

I cut kids slack too. But not parents. If parents would control and discipline their children at an early age then I wouldn't have to deal with them later on the street.
                            Two people can keep a secret if one of them is dead.

Comment

There is NO WAY TPR is a snob, slj. I see you are new here so it's a good idea to get to know people before you judge them. TPR is a LEO and a very loving mother. I think her concern was very valid. If people want to take their kids out, they should do so. But controlling them so they don't bother other diners is another thing. Don't explain yourself, TPR. We all know you are wonderful officer and mother and that you love kids.

[ 02-07-2003, 12:14 PM: Message edited by: Mitzi1 ]

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4602 users online. 269 members and 4333 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X