300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DAL View Post
    I think that they did what their constituents wanted. Of course, those constituents may not have known what was best for them.
    Six of the fourteen now face recalls....
    Originally posted by kontemplerande
    Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

Originally posted by SRT936 View Post
      Six of the fourteen now face recalls....
      http://www.wisn.com/r/27060409/detail.html

The number of state senators facing recalls over the budget battle jumped from nine to 13 Wednesday.

Recall paperwork was filed for four more Republican Senators: Mary Lazich, R-New Berlin, Glenn Grothman, R-West Bend, Sheila Harsdorf, R-River Falls, and Dan Kapanke, R-La Crosse.

That brings the number of Republican senators facing potential recalls to eight, with efforts pending against Sens. Robert Cowles, R-Green Bay, Alberta Darling, R-River Hills, Randy Hopper, R-Fond du Lac and Luther Olsen, R-Ripon.

Five Democratic senators are also facing a recall: Sens. Mark Miller, D-Monona, Spencer Coggs, D-Milwaukee, Dave Hansen, D-Green Bay, Jim Holperin, D-Conover, and Robert Wirch, D-Kenosha.

More than 500 people had pulled into a Kenosha parking lot Wednesday afternoon to sign a petition to recall Wirch

"You're not representing me if you're not in the Capitol to vote," said constituent Amanda Cabrera, as she signed the petition.

"Vote yes or no, whether they agree or not, but they need to be in Madison," said constituent Sandra Dolye. "If (Wirch) can't do his job, he should get out."

The effort is part of a larger campaign businessman Dan Hunt is organizing to collect more than 10,000 signatures for a recall petition.

"They're not representing their constituents because they're not in (Madison)," Hunt said. "They're representing a certain segment of their constituents but they're not representing all their constituents by not being on the job. There are many of us who feel disenfranchised because our state senator is not sitting in Madison," Hunt said.

Democratic senators insisted they were continuing to serve their constituents, even from Illinois.

"We're still standing in solidarity with the workers and the people of Wisconsin. It doesn't matter where our feet are. We stand for our constituents. We stand for the people who elected us," said state Senator Chris Larson, D-Milwaukee.

This past weekend, constituents of Republican state Sen. Alberta Darling, R-River Hills, gathered in an effort to recall her.

"She let it out of committee. She had a chance to look at the bill and say, 'This reaches too far,'" Darling recall organizer Kristopher Rowe said Saturday.

Darling told 12 News voters wanted a balanced budget and she thought the bill would help the state's economy.

A woman who answered the phone in Wirch's Madison office said the state senator was unavailable for comment Wednesday evening.
      Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by federale083 View Post
        Ditto, 1042 Trooper. I've worked in law enforcement for almost 15 years without a union... and I've never been kicked to the curb. When I decided I wasn't satisfied with the pay & benefits paid out by the local municipality I worked for, I resigned & took a job elsewhere that offered the compensation I felt was more in line with my level of experience, training, and education. I don't think any public sector employee should have the right to hold government hostage for more of the tax-payer's money! Government does not create a product that can be sold in the open market for profit. The only money government has is the tax dollars it confiscates from its citizens. If you don't like the wage you're being paid, quit. If you have the resume, you can always find employment at higher-paying agencies. The pool of qualified applicants is what determines the pay offered for job - or what SHOULD determine the pay - NOT unions. If a city/state can't find enough educated applicants with a clean background that want to be employed as a LEO for $40k, then they have to raise the pay until they start attracting the applicants they want... or they can lower their standards (which has a whole multitude of problems associated with it). There are too many people out there who think there should be no limit on the pay they earn because they've chosen a noble profession. Good teachers teach because they love kids and want to help build our nation's future. Police officers & firefighters do what they do because they either want to help people, or because they love the adrenaline. They're callings. If you don't like the pay, go market yourself in the private sector and see if that draws the pay, benefits and job security we enjoy in government service. Sorry to rant, but I have NOTHING for labor unions (in the public or private sector)!

...and to whomever mentioned Wisconsin power plants being sold to private interests... good! I wish government would get out of more industries they shouldn't be involved in! After energy, I'd suggest government extricate itself from education and land mangement as well; but I digress.

God bless & stay safe!
        ^^^^This!^^^^^
        Pete Malloy, "The only thing black and white about this job is the car."

Comment

Originally posted by willowdared View Post
          http://www.wisn.com/r/27060409/detail.html

The number of state senators facing recalls over the budget battle jumped from nine to 13 Wednesday.
          As of last night, the news was saying its now 6 and 6. Two of the recall efforts on Republicans completely fell apart which was suspected because they are in VERY Republican districts. Darling is one of them that the recall effort is already considered dead. Luther Olsen in the other.

Comment

It truly amazes me when the voters vote in the people to correct the overspending, then they try to recall them because they did.

Comment

Originally posted by ryker View Post
              A union isn't just about pay. A union can ask for cars that don't have 260k miles on them and that safety issues like tires and brakes get replaced! Etc

Sure the public sector doesn't create and sell a product. Or does it? Police sell numerous products: accident reports, investigations, serve divorce papers, enforce child support orders, along with keeping the roadways safe and other crime suppression. You get what you pay for. Residents in many areas have patrol themselves because the local police are underfunded. Some agencies won't even respond to traffic accidents, guess what that will do for insurance prices for all?

Don't like it quit and move up? Leaving the ****ty agency without your talent for some other lesser officer... But the left behind residents who are served and protected are the ones really done over. Of course I guess than can give up and move as well.
              We all know which towns, states, counties have good police services and which areas have problems. Not that union is solution as good brass can negate there to ever be a need for a union. And not that non-union agencies with **** poor pay/benifits/ equipment have all "lesser" officers. But there are reasons why officers drive through your county to work in other agencies....

And yes I know of an officer who's unit has 260k miles on it. I know another officer who's issued shotgun is older than he is. Also know of a 62yr old officer still working the roads becuase his retirement lack medical and is mere frActions of what most of you'll will make. All non-union.
              I guess that if the agency in question got rid of all cars with more than 75k miles on them, issued new shotguns, and provided medical benefits into retirement, the union would simply say, "our work here is done", pack up shop, and move on. The problem with unions is that enough is never enough. When unions initially formed, they fought against child labor and unsafe working conditions. Look what they've morphed into now! Once they win one fight, they just pick another. Next, the department would have to ensure all cars had less than 10k miles, all shotguns had ghost ring sights & flashlights, and that the city would pay 100% of all medical costs for life. Unfortunately, it's now more about putting money in the union's pocket than putting money in yours! Stay safe!
              "...the complacency of fools will destroy them." Proverbs 1:32

Comment

^^^^ Realistically, most of the recall efforts will fail. Two of the Republicans are in traditionally democratic controlled districts but they've been trending Republican in the last couple of cycles. The other four Republicans being targeted are pretty secure in their districts. They've been specifically selected for an attempted recall by the opposition because they helped write some of the language of the bill. Even the opposition is pretty certain that the recalls will fail but are willing to stir the muck for political gain.

On the Democrat side, three of the six are in split districts that run a chance of losing their seats. The other three are pretty safe as well. The movement to recall the Democrat senators, though, is largely being done by the people in their districts that are pizzed that they ran away.

I can't wait for the entitlement crowd to realize that the new budget calls for almost $2 billion in cuts to their programs.....

Comment

Originally posted by ryker View Post
                  And yes I know of an officer who's unit has 260k miles on it. I know another officer who's issued shotgun is older than he is. Also know of a 62yr old officer still working the roads becuase his retirement lack medical and is mere frActions of what most of you'll will make. All non-union.
                  And I know of an agency where the 200k car is the new one, another agency that doesn't issue any firearms to their officers, and 60 year old jailer who still has to work a post because she can't afford health care. They all work for union shops.

Comment

Originally posted by SRT936 View Post
                    On the Democrat side, three of the six are in split districts that run a chance of losing their seats. The other three are pretty safe as well. The movement to recall the Democrat senators, though, is largely being done by the people in their districts that are pizzed that they ran away.
                    That is a great point.

I can't wait for the entitlement crowd to realize that the new budget calls for almost $2 billion in cuts to their programs.....
                    That is the best part.

Comment

I've seen some comments that state workers should go w/o unions because federal workers can do w/o them. From what I've been reading lately of the Secret Service, the feds could probably use some unionization.
                      This Space For Rent

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6435 users online. 391 members and 6044 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X