300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the whole thing

is screwed up. it's a crying shame that we cant figure it out and do the right thing.
    break censorship chains

Comment

My sister agency and my previous agency have sent officers and deputies down to Madison to assist with the crowds. Initially everyone was demonstrating peacefully, now things are starting to turn ugly. I will probably go down next week if the need is still there, and be able to make an informed decision by seeing things first-hand.
      Good.........bad..........I'm the guy with the gun - Army of Darknesssigpic

Comment

Originally posted by willbird View Post
        http://www.620wtmj.com/news/local/117732923.html

Here is the "polite discourse" from the other side of the aisle
        Because, of course, one letter speaks for the thousands that have peacefully exercised their 1st amendment rights
        Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

sigpic

Comment

I do not understand why voters want government employees to be unionized. I am not sure they still do.

There was a time when most workers were unionized and unions helped improve working conditions and benefits for the public at large. But those days are gone. In essence, the interests of tax payers are adverse to those of government-employee unions.
          Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
          Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

...except that government employees are also tax payers...
            All Gave Some - Some Gave All

{"data-align":"none","data-size":"custom","data-tempid":"temp_14312_1475388990098_890","height":"65","title":"flower.gif","width":"72"}

Comment

Originally posted by DAL View Post
              I do not understand why voters want government employees to be unionized. I am not sure they still do.

There was a time when most workers were unionized and unions helped improve working conditions and benefits for the public at large. But those days are gone. In essence, the interests of tax payers are adverse to those of government-employee unions.
              These are the protections we (in my dept) enjoy:
              A very small annual step increase during the first 6 years on the job.
              A scheduled mandatory overtime slot.
              A required 1 hour notification for that overtime.
              When staffing shortfalls require forced overtime, there is a plan in place to insure the same people aren't forced over repeatedly.
              When emergencies require extended shifts, there is a plan in place to insure everyone gets shift adjusted.
              Shifts and vacation times are seniority based.
              There's a lot more....and all of these came about because it was not happening before is was made contractual.

The benefits packages for public employees would be greatly reduced if we eliminated health insurance companies all together and paid providers directly...and tort reform to eliminate/reduce the cost of malpractice costs.
              Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

sigpic

Comment

...and they're always doin' that!

Get real.Never had a union and never got kicked to the curb. Imagine that.
                Originally posted by ten08
                Without a Union you have no contract and without a contract the Municipality can pay you whatever it wants and kick you to the curb when you get too old. They can, in fact , insure your life and profit when you get killed in the line of duty
                The All New
                BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
                Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
                - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

Ditto, 1042 Trooper. I've worked in law enforcement for almost 15 years without a union... and I've never been kicked to the curb. When I decided I wasn't satisfied with the pay & benefits paid out by the local municipality I worked for, I resigned & took a job elsewhere that offered the compensation I felt was more in line with my level of experience, training, and education. I don't think any public sector employee should have the right to hold government hostage for more of the tax-payer's money! Government does not create a product that can be sold in the open market for profit. The only money government has is the tax dollars it confiscates from its citizens. If you don't like the wage you're being paid, quit. If you have the resume, you can always find employment at higher-paying agencies. The pool of qualified applicants is what determines the pay offered for job - or what SHOULD determine the pay - NOT unions. If a city/state can't find enough educated applicants with a clean background that want to be employed as a LEO for $40k, then they have to raise the pay until they start attracting the applicants they want... or they can lower their standards (which has a whole multitude of problems associated with it). There are too many people out there who think there should be no limit on the pay they earn because they've chosen a noble profession. Good teachers teach because they love kids and want to help build our nation's future. Police officers & firefighters do what they do because they either want to help people, or because they love the adrenaline. They're callings. If you don't like the pay, go market yourself in the private sector and see if that draws the pay, benefits and job security we enjoy in government service. Sorry to rant, but I have NOTHING for labor unions (in the public or private sector)!

...and to whomever mentioned Wisconsin power plants being sold to private interests... good! I wish government would get out of more industries they shouldn't be involved in! After energy, I'd suggest government extricate itself from education and land mangement as well; but I digress.

God bless & stay safe!
                  "...the complacency of fools will destroy them." Proverbs 1:32

Comment

Originally posted by ten08
                    Without a Union you have no contract and without a contract the Municipality can pay you whatever it wants and kick you to the curb when you get too old. They can, in fact , insure your life and profit when you get killed in the line of duty
                    A fine explanation of why union members want a union, but not of why those who do not belong to a union want their politicians to have to give in to union demands.

Comment

A union isn't just about pay. A union can ask for cars that don't have 260k miles on them and that safety issues like tires and brakes get replaced! Etc

Sure the public sector doesn't create and sell a product. Or does it? Police sell numerous products: accident reports, investigations, serve divorce papers, enforce child support orders, along with keeping the roadways safe and other crime suppression. You get what you pay for. Residents in many areas have patrol themselves because the local police are underfunded. Some agencies won't even respond to traffic accidents, guess what that will do for insurance prices for all?

Don't like it quit and move up? Leaving the ****ty agency without your talent for some other lesser officer... But the left behind residents who are served and protected are the ones really done over. Of course I guess than can give up and move as well.
                      We all know which towns, states, counties have good police services and which areas have problems. Not that union is solution as good brass can negate there to ever be a need for a union. And not that non-union agencies with **** poor pay/benifits/ equipment have all "lesser" officers. But there are reasons why officers drive through your county to work in other agencies....

And yes I know of an officer who's unit has 260k miles on it. I know another officer who's issued shotgun is older than he is. Also know of a 62yr old officer still working the roads becuase his retirement lack medical and is mere frActions of what most of you'll will make. All non-union.
                      Any views or opinions presented by this prenomen are solely those of a burlesque author and do not necessarily represent those of a LEA or caementum couturier.

nom de plume

This is the internet- take all information with a grain of salt. Such could be valid and true or could be typed just for playing devils advocate.

Comment

Originally posted by ryker View Post
                        A union isn't just about pay. A union can ask for cars that don't have 260k miles on them and that safety issues like tires and brakes get replaced! Etc

Sure the public sector doesn't create and sell a product. Or does it? Police sell numerous products: accident reports, investigations, serve divorce papers, enforce child support orders, along with keeping the roadways safe and other crime suppression. You get what you pay for. Residents in many areas have patrol themselves because the local police are underfunded. Some agencies won't even respond to traffic accidents, guess what that will do for insurance prices for all?

Don't like it quit and move up? Leaving the ****ty agency without your talent for some other lesser officer... But the left behind residents who are served and protected are the ones really done over. Of course I guess than can give up and move as well.
                        We all know which towns, states, counties have good police services and which areas have problems. Not that union is solution as good brass can negate there to ever be a need for a union. And not that non-union agencies with **** poor pay/benifits/ equipment have all "lesser" officers. But there are reasons why officers drive through your county to work in other agencies....

And yes I know of an officer who's unit has 260k miles on it. I know another officer who's issued shotgun is older than he is. Also know of a 62yr old officer still working the roads becuase his retirement lack medical and is mere frActions of what most of you'll will make. All non-union.
                        Do you really think that it is impossible to get things accomplished at your dept without a union there to represent you?
                        Last edited by hilhil45; 03-11-2011, 03:39 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

For those not from Wisconsin praising the Democrats who ran away from their obligations, did you ever consider that if they'd stayed and engaged in the debate they might have convinced three Republicans to join them? That's all they would have needed. Even without them there, they got 1 to go along with them.

I don't care what side of this you're on, the Democrats acted disgracefully. The one opportunity they had to stop this was to stay and engage in the debate as mandated by our state constitution. By leaving, no debate was required.
                          Originally posted by kontemplerande
                          Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

Originally posted by SRT936 View Post
                            For those not from Wisconsin praising the Democrats who ran away from their obligations, did you ever consider that if they'd stayed and engaged in the debate they might have convinced three Republicans to join them? That's all they would have needed. Even without them there, they got 1 to go along with them.

I don't care what side of this you're on, the Democrats acted disgracefully. The one opportunity they had to stop this was to stay and engage in the debate as mandated by our state constitution. By leaving, no debate was required.
                            While I don't agree with them, they did what was politically expedient.

Comment

Originally posted by DAL View Post
                              While I don't agree with them, they did what was politically expedient.
                              They did what they thought would garner them the most national publicity. They treated it like a game and Chris Walker and the Republican Senators in WI didn't play around. They goofed off, lost and then paid dearly for it.

Comment

Originally posted by hilhil45 View Post
                                They did what they thought would garner them the most national publicity. They treated it like a game and Chris Walker and the Republican Senators in WI didn't play around. They goofed off, lost and then paid dearly for it.
                                I think that they did what their constituents wanted. Of course, those constituents may not have known what was best for them.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5590 users online. 375 members and 5215 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X