• Show
Clear All

• Union supporters to rally after Wisconsin Senate passes limits

Union supporters to rally after Wisconsin Senate passes limits
    From Ed Lavandera, CNN
    March 10, 2011 7:46 a.m. EST
    Click to play
    Wisc. GOP Senators bypass AWOL Democrats

Madison, Wisconsin (CNN) -- Pro-union demonstrators plan to rally outside the Wisconsin Capitol Thursday -- the morning after the state's Republican-led Senate passed Gov. Scott Walker's proposed restrictions on collective bargaining for public employees.

"Working families, labor leaders and concerned Wisconsinites will gather outside the Capitol to let Gov. Walker know the fight will continue," a statement from the Wisconsin AFL-CIO said.

Senate Republicans got around a long-running Democratic walkout on Wednesday evening by stripping financial provisions from the bill.

"Tonight, the Senate will be passing the items in the Budget Repair Bill that we can with the 19 members who actually do show up and do their jobs," Sen. Scott Fitzgerald, the chamber's Republican majority leader, said in a statement announcing the move.

The Senate's 14 Democrats had fled to Illinois to prevent the chamber from attaining a quorum and passing the collective bargaining measures, which they have called an unnecessary attack on the rights of public employees.

Democratic Sen. Jon Erpenbach said Thursday the Republican leaders violated state open meetings laws by calling the chamber into session without proper notice.

"I'd assume this would end up in court," Erpenbach told CNN's "American Morning." "We're going to get together somewhere around noon and talk about what our options are, and then take it from there."

Republicans were able to move ahead by voting only on the nonfinancial aspects of Walker's proposed bill, which requires fewer members for a quorum.

"The Senate Democrats have had three weeks to debate this bill and were offered repeated opportunities to come home, which they refused," Walker said in a statement on the vote. "In order to move the state forward, I applaud the Legislature's action today to stand up to the status quo and take a step in the right direction to balance the budget and reform government."

But the move drew howls of outrage from outside the chamber, where pro-union demonstrators chanted "shame" and "you lied to Wisconsin" as the bill passed. Thousands more began to converge on the building, and a chorus of horns from passing cars echoed in the streets around the Capitol after the vote.

Some protesters remained inside the Capitol building a couple hours after the vote. Most of the demonstrators who had gathered outside earlier in the day were gone. However, authorities expect demonstrations to pick up again Thursday.

James Palmer, executive director of the Wisconsin Professional Police Association, said officers with the Madison police department and Dane County sheriff's deputies have been placed on alert in anticipation of further protests.

Walker and GOP lawmakers are trying to close a $137 million budget shortfall with a plan that calls for curbs on public employee union bargaining rights and requires public workers, with the exception of police and firefighters, to cover more of their retirement plans and health care premiums.

Public employee unions agreed to financial concessions that they say will help meet the state's fiscal needs, but Walker has said the limits on public bargaining are a critical component of his plan. His bill, which already had passed the state Assembly, would bar public workers other than police and firefighters from bargaining for anything other than wages.

Raises would be capped to the rate of inflation, unless state voters approve. The legislation also would require unions to hold a new certification vote every year, and unions would no longer be allowed to collect dues from workers' paychecks.

Unions mobilized their supporters to oppose the bill, drawing tens of thousands of workers to rallies opposing Walker and supporting the fugitive Democrats.

Phil Neuenfeldt, president of the state AFL-CIO, said Wednesday night's maneuver "shows that Scott Walker and the Republicans have been lying throughout this entire process."

"None of the provisions that attacked workers' rights had anything to do with the budget," Neuenfeldt said. "Losing badly in the court of public opinion and failing to break the Democratic senators' principled stand, Scott Walker and the GOP have eviscerated both the letter and the spirit of the law and our democratic process to ram through their payback to their deep-pocketed friends."

But the Tea Party Express praised the developments, saying Walker was "holding strong" to his principles.

"Under tremendous pressure from union bosses, who have become irrelevant other than in their unquenchable thirst for power, Gov. Walker held fast and did what was best for the people of Wisconsin," a statement from the political action committee said. "This is a victory not only for the state, but for the nation, as many states now face their own budget battles, and will be forced to put a stop to union bullying that has become almost commonplace."

The vote in the Senate was 18-1, with Republican state Sen. Dale Schultz -- who earlier had floated a compromise that neither side bought into -- the lone opponent.

Outside, state Rep. Peter Barca argued that Republican leaders violated state open meetings laws, a move he called "a naked abuse of power."

"The gig is now up. The fraud on the people of Wisconsin is now very clear. They are now going to pass a bill to take away people's rights," Barca, a Democrat, said.

And Sen. Mark Miller, the Democratic Senate leader, said Republicans "conspired to take government away from the people."

"In 30 minutes, 18 state senators undid 50 years of civil rights in Wisconsin," Miller said in a statement condemning the vote. "Their disrespect for the people of Wisconsin and their rights is an outrage that will never be forgotten."

Ed Lavandera contributed to this report
    Semper Paratus/Always Ready
    Originally posted by jakflak
    The bottom line: always be nice to the magic voice. All hail the magic voice!!
    Originally posted by Michigan
    I have a 1 year old daughter and at this rate I'm almost certain I'm going to end up in prison by the time she's 15 years old. I swear, the first guy that that comes knocking on my door holding onto a naked photo of my daughter.....

Don't bother telling me, "oh it's her fault too".... I know, I have double standards. Deal with it.

: )

I heard one person interviewed on the radio comment that the measure was "rammed" through "without any discussion".

Discussion? How could there be any discussion when all the Dems have fled the state?

Whatever side of the debate one might be on, it amazes me how one party opted to act like little children and say they didn't want to play anymore. Doesn't the democratic process necessitate the need to participate? Someone please justify the actions of those who have been AWOL for nearly a month.
    sigpic
    Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun.
    And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son.

Comment

Originally posted by KapsFB View Post
      I heard one person interviewed on the radio comment that the measure was "rammed" through "without any discussion".

Discussion? How could there be any discussion when all the Dems have fled the state?

Whatever side of the debate one might be on, it amazes me how one party opted to act like little children and say they didn't want to play anymore. Doesn't the democratic process necessitate the need to participate? Someone please justify the actions of those who have been AWOL for nearly a month.
      It's easy. If even one Democrat showed up to "participate" they would have been immediately ignored as the law was passed without discussion. When the ONLY way you will have a voice to participate is if you leave the state, then leaving the state is the only move.
      “Every society gets the kind of criminal it deserves. What is equally true is that every community gets the kind of law enforcement it insists on.” - Robert F. Kennedy.

Comment

What is going on in Wisconsin is another symptom of political polarization and the breakdown of common societal goals.
        Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
        Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by NYCDep View Post
          It's easy. If even one Democrat showed up to "participate" they would have been immediately ignored as the law was passed without discussion. When the ONLY way you will have a voice to participate is if you leave the state, then leaving the state is the only move.
          Gee, why wasn't this the tactic for Obama care ? I would say who was affected by the WI law, and who was NOT is a good example of "divide and conquer". The Ohio law does not have any protected classes among public employee unions.

What is going on in Wisconsin is another symptom of political polarization and the breakdown of common societal goals.
          I'd agree, but from my point of view, public employees in some cases no longer have a common goal with the common man, they surely do not have much in common when it comes to suffering when the budget tightens.
          Bill
          Last edited by willbird; 03-10-2011, 11:07 AM.
          Just pay your dues, and be quiet :-)

Comment

What is not making the news is that one of the provisions in the bill is the option for a no-bid sale of Wisconsin's power plants to private concerns. Interestingly enough Koch Industries has recently posted job openings for power plant managers in Wisconsin.

The Koch brothers gave about 400k for his campaign.
            Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

sigpic

Comment

http://www.620wtmj.com/news/local/117732923.html

Here is the "polite discourse" from the other side of the aisle

Among the threats the Justice Department is investigationg is one that was emailed to Republican Senators Wednesday night. Newsradio 620 WTMJ has obtained that email.
              The following is the unedited email:
              Please put your things in order because you will be killed and your familes
              will also be killed due to your actions in the last 8 weeks. Please explain
              to them that this is because if we get rid of you and your families then it
              will save the rights of 300,000 people and also be able to close the deficit
              that you have created. I hope you have a good time in hell. Read below for
              more information on possible scenarios in which you will die.

WE want to make this perfectly clear. Because of your actions today and in
              the past couple of weeks I and the group of people that are working with me
              have decided that we've had enough. We feel that you and the people that
              support the dictator have to die. We have tried many other ways of dealing
              with your corruption but you have taken things too far and we will not stand
              for it any longer. So, this is how it's going to happen: I as well as many
              others know where you and your family live, it's a matter of public records.
              We have all planned to assult you by arriving at your house and putting a
              nice little bullet in your head. However, we decided that we wouldn't leave
              it there. We also have decided that this may not be enough to send the
              message to you since you are so "high" on Koch and have decided that you are
              now going to single handedly make this a dictatorship instead of a
              demorcratic process. So we have also built several bombs that we have placed
              in various locations around the areas in which we know that you frequent.
              This includes, your house, your car, the state capitol, and well I won't
              tell you all of them because that's just no fun. Since we know that you are
              not smart enough to figure out why this is happening to you we have decided
              to make it perfectly clear to you. If you and your goonies feel that it's
              necessary to strip the rights of 300,000 people and ruin their lives, making
              them unable to feed, clothe, and provide the necessities to their families
              and themselves then We Will "get rid of" (in which I mean kill) you. Please
              understand that this does not include the heroic Rep. Senator that risked
              everything to go aganist what you and your goonies wanted him to do. We feel
              that it's worth our lives to do this, because we would be saving the lives
              of 300,000 people. Please make your peace with God as soon as possible and
              say goodbye to your loved ones we will not wait any longer. YOU WILL DIE!
              Just pay your dues, and be quiet :-)

Comment

post deleted
                Last edited by avalon42; 03-13-2015, 06:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by willbird View Post
                  I'd agree, but from my point of view, public employees in some cases no longer have a common goal with the common man, they surely do not have much in common when it comes to suffering when the budget tightens.
                  Bill
                  I love how about six years ago when the economy was great and many private sector employees were getting $50K and up bonuses, and stock options worth $1000s or more, nobody wanted those low paying public sector jobs because there wasn't any money in it.

Once the economy fails, we are the bad guys for living through those years when everyone else was cashing in, and we chose to stay with the reliability of a public sector job.

How about we give up our benefits when everyone who was living large during the good years gives back all the money they made?
                  “Every society gets the kind of criminal it deserves. What is equally true is that every community gets the kind of law enforcement it insists on.” - Robert F. Kennedy.

Comment

We've never had such given to us thus we don't have anything to loose. I highly support the theory of unions but in many cases greed and corruption has taken over. The public would tolerate some union benifits but such extreme pay amd benifits are absurd to the working Joe who has nothing. Then mix in politics and it's a mess!

FYI- we are still at war wasting billions more than any union waste. And while you know all about Charlie sheen you know nothing about the heros who did in the sandpit this week!
                    Last edited by ryker; 03-10-2011, 01:30 PM.
                    Any views or opinions presented by this prenomen are solely those of a burlesque author and do not necessarily represent those of a LEA or caementum couturier.

nom de plume

This is the internet- take all information with a grain of salt. Such could be valid and true or could be typed just for playing devils advocate.

Comment

This is the equivalent of a child getting knocked out of dodgeball, then grabbing the ball and running home. Its childish what the democrats did and it shows that they have no regard for the legislative process. If they can't win, then they just won't participate. Cowardly behavior.

Comment

Wow. Really? So you think the Dems in Wisconsin were actually doing their job by........wait, what? NOT doing their job?
                        sigpic
                        Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun.
                        And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son.

Comment

Originally posted by willowdared View Post
                          What is not making the news is that one of the provisions in the bill is the option for a no-bid sale of Wisconsin's power plants to private concerns. Interestingly enough Koch Industries has recently posted job openings for power plant managers in Wisconsin.

The Koch brothers gave about 400k for his campaign.
                          Another example of politics as usual. Labor unions buy Democrats (always); businesses buy Republicans (usually).

Comment

It looks to me that the governor could not negotiate an acceptable deal with the Democrats. This gives him more leverage.

Comment

Originally posted by KapsFB View Post
                              Wow. Really? So you think the Dems in Wisconsin were actually doing their job by........wait, what? NOT doing their job?
                              If you had followed the story, you would know they were trying to prevent a quorum. Unlike the US Congress, a simple majority does not carry the vote.

The members of the US Congress miss votes on a regular basis while off on junkets.

My aunt is a special-ed teacher in Wisconsin. She waited tables to put herself through college, and had to continue to wait tables the first few years she taught to make ends meet. Because of the requirements for teachers in Wisconsin, she had to go back to school during summer breaks to get her advanced degree...on her dime, not the state's. She and her husband (self-employed custom-home builder) live in the same home they bought when they married 30+ years ago, and drive cars that are a couple of years old. They are not rich.

For years, teachers, cops, firefighters and other public employees were offered benefits in lieu of raises because states and municipalities counted on investments covering that nut when the time came. When the bottom dropped out during the financial crisis, those dividends evaporated...now they have a bill to pay...on a good-faith contract.

Here's a little nugget from Shepard Smith that sums it all up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQuNrPg1paM
                              Last edited by willowdared; 03-10-2011, 06:49 PM.
                              Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

sigpic

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5338 users online. 286 members and 5052 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X