300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This makes me sick..

I read this story this morning and it instantly made me sick and raised my blood pressure at the same time. This sick POS deserves a slow and painful death. I don't know what is wrong with this country today but these damn liberals our ruining our great nation.
    __________________________________________________ _________________________________

By: Jeremy Kohler-St. Louis Post Dispatch

CLAYTON • Todd Shepard went looking to murder a police officer on Halloween night 2008, found Sgt. Michael King sitting in his squad car off the Delmar Loop — and, to this day, doesn't regret shooting him in the head.

King's family believes that Missouri has a death penalty for people like that. But a St. Louis County Circuit Court jury on Saturday morning disagreed, recommending a sentence of life in prison without parole.

Prosecuting Attorney Robert P. McCulloch, who prosecuted the case, said one juror had held out on a death sentence.

"It only takes one person to control the entire outcome," he said.

Susan King, the slain sergeant's wife, said her family "didn't feel that it was an appropriate punishment for the crime."

"We felt it was cut and dry," she said. "So that's why we were so surprised by the decision."

The jury on Thursday convicted Shepard, 43, of Berkeley, of first-degree murder after he admitted on the witness stand that he killed King, 50, a lifelong resident of University City and 25-year member of its Police Department.

Deliberations in the penalty phase came to a deadlock on Friday night. But after Circuit Judge David Lee Vincent III told them to hash it out, they were ready to return a verdict in the morning.

McCulloch said he learned that one juror disagreed that aggravating factors in the murder case outweighed mitigating factors. A death sentence requires a jury to be unanimous on that issue, he said.

The holdout juror was not identified. Members of the jury were excused through the back of the courtroom and left the courthouse unseen by reporters. An alternate juror, contacted at home, declined to speak with a reporter.

Several members of King's family shook their heads as the foreman read the verdict Saturday — life in prison without parole.

Shepard's sister, Sara Henderson — who had testified that her brother was "the best brother" — raised her arms and sobbed, "Thank you, Lord."

Shepard taunted McCulloch with vulgar names in the courtroom throughout the trial. As bailiffs led him out of the courtroom, he lobbed one more at the veteran prosecutor: "punk-*** fag." McCulloch retorted, "Get out."

Vincent set the official sentencing for 9 a.m. April 13.

McCulloch spent about 20 minutes after the verdict speaking in private with several King family members.

The case had special meaning for him, he said later, because his own father, Paul, was slain on duty.

McCulloch also wanted to be a cop. But he lost his right leg to cancer when he was a senior in high school. So he decided to pursue a career as a prosecutor.

Afterward, he told reporters that he and the King family were bitterly disappointed.

"Todd Shepard deserved to be executed for what he did," McCulloch said.

He said King's family was "pleased (Shepard) is not getting out and never be able to kill anyone again — at least on the streets — but they are very disappointed with the ultimate outcome."

The reading of the verdict was delayed for nearly two hours because one of Shepard's attorneys, public defender Robert Steele, was late for court.

About 11 a.m., Judge Vincent told Shepard that his lawyer had 10 minutes to appear or he would miss the verdict. Steele arrived moments after. Shepard glared as his attorney joined him at his side.

Asked for a reaction to the verdict, Steele said, "Justice was served."

Henderson said, "I thank my heavenly father for sparing my brother's life." Shepard's older sister, Madeline Woods, said, simply, "Thank you, Lord."

NO REMORSE

Shepard shot King five times on Halloween night 2008 as King sat in his patrol car on Leland Avenue off Delmar Boulevard. Shepard said he went on a "reconnaissance mission" to look for police, as he had done dozens of times before.

He took the life of an officer nearing the end of his career, who, in fact, had enough age and experience to retire with a full pension, said Susan King.

"But the economy had gotten bad and he couldn't find something else to do right away," she said. "As much as he loved police work, he was interested in not working those crazy shifts and spending more time with me. He didn't get that opportunity."

After the shooting, another officer saw the license number of Shepard's fleeing car. A Missouri Highway Patrol trooper caught him four days later in a routine traffic stop near Kansas City.
    He testified that he was looking for the word homicide — and praying that S
    Shepard was seen on video from the trooper's dashboard camera, sitting in the patrol car and trying to look at what was written about him on its computer screen.

gt. King had died.

In letters from jail, Shepard wrote that he knew the state would be seeking capital punishment.

"These honkies know the death penalty don't mean (expletive) to me," he wrote. "I'll spit in the judge's face and dare him to kill me."

Shepard brought up race several times during his testimony before the jury. The 12-member jury was composed of 10 whites, an Asian woman and a woman who appeared to be African-American. The four alternates were two whites and two blacks.

Throughout the trial, Shepard described his actions in haunting detail and insisted that he wasn't sorry.

McCulloch said Saturday: "He tries to pass himself off as a philosopher, but he's just a killer, a cold-blooded killer and a coward at that."

After the verdict, Susan King returned to her University City home and hosted lunch for her husband's friends and loved ones. Asked what she would say to the man who killed her husband of 23 years, she fell silent.

"I'm not going to live with hatred or anything like that," she said. "I'm going to move on."

.Copyright 2011 STLtoday.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
    Everybody counts or no one counts.
    -Harry Bosch

Some of you may remember that in my early days I was sort of a bleeding heart liberal. Then I became a man and put away childish things.
    -Ronald Reagan

Sad, I could not read all of it. Shepard is 43, so he can spend 40 to 50 years in prison with good health care and food. I do hope he goes to one of the prisons that are hell on earth. If there is a good side to this there wont be the death penalty appeals that are costly and stressful on the family. I do feel he should die.

I have been a juror on 2 trials, the trial is interesting but when its time to deliberation I hate it, the liberals make me want to choke them.
    It's not that liberals are ignorant. It's just that they know so much that isn't so. Ronald Reagan

TSA, I would rather be felt up than blown up.

Comment

Even more disgusting is that he will probably be treated like a hero in prison.
      “Every society gets the kind of criminal it deserves. What is equally true is that every community gets the kind of law enforcement it insists on.” - Robert F. Kennedy.

Comment

He was sick enough to kill this Sgt. in cold blood for absolutely no reason. What makes it even worse IMO is that he said he has no remorse for what he did and prayed that the sarge would die. WHY??? I don't understand people like this and I never will. This is someone who should never, EVER see the light of day again.

His "can't touch me" and "I don't care if you kill me" attitude just makes it that much worse.
        -Harry Bosch

Some of you may remember that in my early days I was sort of a bleeding heart liberal. Then I became a man and put away childish things.
        -Ronald Reagan

Comment

The laws need to be changed. You kill a cop..you die...no plea..trial for guilty or not guilty but the sentence does not go to the jury..death. It is the only way especially now with all the damn cameras.

What I'd really like to see is an eye for an eye..leave him in the room with the family or his department.

World_So_Cold

Comment

Originally posted by needguidance View Post
            The laws need to be changed. You kill a cop..you die...no plea..trial for guilty or not guilty but the sentence does not go to the jury..death. It is the only way especially now with all the damn cameras.

What I'd really like to see is an eye for an eye..leave him in the room with the family or his department.
            Agree
            It's not that liberals are ignorant. It's just that they know so much that isn't so. Ronald Reagan

Comment

Originally posted by redsox2010 View Post
              He was sick enough to kill this Sgt. in cold blood for absolutely no reason. What makes it even worse IMO is that he said he has no remorse for what he did and prayed that the sarge would die. WHY??? I don't understand people like this and I never will. This is someone who should never, EVER see the light of day again.

His "can't touch me" and "I don't care if you kill me" attitude just makes it that much worse.
              I don't understand either but that is a good thing. We are not evil.

Comment

What also disturbs me is that the suspect's mother had the balls to stand in front of the cameras and say that "God spared her good son." If that was my son, I would be the first supporter of the death penalty for the case.
                -Harry Bosch

-Ronald Reagan

Comment

Originally posted by Justsaying View Post
                  Sad, I could not read all of it. Shepard is 43, so he can spend 40 to 50 years in prison with good health care and food. I do hope he goes to one of the prisons that are hell on earth. If there is a good side to this there wont be the death penalty appeals that are costly and stressful on the family. I do feel he should die.

I have been a juror on 2 trials, the trial is interesting but when its time to deliberation I hate it, the liberals make me want to choke them.
                  That's exactly it. These animals don't consider being sent to prison punishment. It's homeboy reunion for them. We need to seriously revamp the current criminal justice system. Fair and speedy trial by peers could mean that the jurors get to shoot at this POS too during his execution.

Comment

Originally posted by redsox2010 View Post
                    What also disturbs me is that the suspect's mother had the balls to stand in front of the cameras and say that "God spared her good son." If that was my son, I would be the first supporter of the death penalty for the case.
                    Absolutely! My parents were always the first to kick me in the ***, if I did something wrong. THAT'S THE JOB AS A PARENT...*** KICKEN! These kinds of people should have been smacked upside the head when they were kids. However, you know what the problem is. The parents are just as bad!

World_So_Cold

Comment

I have no words for this-- I do not understand what the "mitigating factors" are, when someone is so clearly unrepentant.
                      We do not all come to religion over the wandering years,
                      but sooner or later we all get to meet God. -- Edward Conlon

Comment

I would "hire" some skinheads to TCOB on the inside.....after they make a playground out of his ***z for a few hours.
                        "I don't go on "I'maworthlesscumdumpster.com" and post negative **** about cum dumpsters."
                        The Tick

"Are you referring to the secret headquarters of a fictional crime fighter or penal complex slang for a-$$hole, anus or rectum?"
                        sanitizer

"and we all know you are a poser and a p*ssy.... "
                        Bearcat357 to Dinner Portion/buck8/long relief

Comment

Cop killers are the worst of the worst. If they will kill an armed police officer what do you think they would do to you and your family? This guy as far as I am concerned has forfeited his right to ever show his face in society again. Medieval torture devices won't even come close to the fate awaiting him.

His mother...what can you say? Racially inherited ignorance?
                          Pete Malloy, "The only thing black and white about this job is the car."

Comment

Send him to Virginia. We have plenty of 'bed'space.
                            sigpic
                            Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun.
                            And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son.

Comment

Needs a slow painful death. People never cease to amaze me with their tree hugging abilities. They think that no one deserves to die anymore and they are completely wrong. Some people forfeit their life after committing certain acts and this is one of them.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7019 users online. 364 members and 6655 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X