Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stop with CCW Card Holder

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Stop with CCW Card Holder

    I have read in several different forums regarding ways to approach getting pulled over while having a concealed carry weapon. I assume you aproach every traffic stop as if they are armed and can fully understand as to why in today's society. However, what would the outcome be if I identified for mine and the officers safety that I have a concealed weapon on my hip. I say this as I do carry and it is on my left hip. My wallet with my DL and CCW Card are directly under the weapon. I don't want it to appear as I am reaching for my weapon. Now, my thought would be to remain with my hand upon the steering wheel, state to the officer, For my safety and yours, I have a concealed weapon. From there I would follow all instructions from the officer. Is there anything your would do different? I know there is always the option to leave the weapon at home, But that is not always the case. I don't speed, I don't drive erratic I just like to be informed, so if the event ever occurs, then I know how to handle the situation.
    Applied for a few Montana Law Enforcement Positions.....

  • #2
    Did you mean to post this in the "Ask a Cop" section?

    Now, my thought would be to remain with my hand upon the steering wheel, state to the officer, For my safety and yours, I have a concealed weapon. From there I would follow all instructions from the officer.
    Seems fine to me. I think you're over-thinking this.

    Comment


    • #3
      Don't make any sudden moves and follow the officer's instructions. If your id is anywhere near your weapon, let them know ahead of time. Also, your attitude will also base how bidness is conducted.
      I yell "PIKACHU" before I tase someone.

      Comment


      • #4
        I debated posting in Ask A Cop, But I also thought that maybe some civilians who have experience in this could chime in also. I also am working on getting my foot in the door in LE, I wont do anything intentionally to jeopardize my chances of getting on somewhere. So, I don't intentionally break the law or draw attention to myself. I cant honestly recall the last time I was pulled over, but it could happen someday.
        Applied for a few Montana Law Enforcement Positions.....

        Comment


        • #5
          Keeping your attitude under control is the biggest thing. Also, you may want to consider carrying your ID in another area away from your firearm.

          Comment


          • #6
            As a civilian, it seems to me that the rule of thumb is; if my hands stay on the steering wheel, no need to say anything. My one and only traffic stop resulted in a polite and brief conversation that never involved license and registration. If my hands need to leave the steering wheel and there's a firearm in reach, I'll let the officer know and see what they want to do. Granted, in some jurisdictions there is a requirement to inform. Best to look into that now rather than take advice from internet lawyers and cops in other states.
            **Not a LEO**

            Comment


            • #7
              Well I have not been pulled over in years, years I mean I think i was around 17 I am now 37.
              I have been through a few road blocks and here is how I have always handled this.
              As soon as I get to the officer / officers I inform them I am armed where the gun is most times what size. I don't act nervous or sweating like I am guilty of something. There is nothing to be nervous about. Follow the directions the officer gives you, License, registration, insurance, and CCW permit. Hand them to him or her. Don't move slow like you are scared but don't move fast either remain calm and cool. As of yet I have never even had a officer ask to hold or see my gun.
              No mater what youtube says most are pretty cool people some even down right lovable! Hope that helps from a civiy.
              Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless - like water.

              Comment


              • #8
                The only time I've been pulled over while carrying, my gun was in the glovebox (since I was coming home from work and can't carry in the office). I just kept both hands on the wheel until he asked for my license and registration. I just gave him my license and permit and told him, "Yes, sir. Here's my ID, but my registration is in the glovebox, and I have a firearm in there, too." He just glanced over the IDs and said "Okay, just get the registration. Don't show me yours and I won't show you mine."

                I figure that it's always a good idea to identify at the beginning (even when not required by law), and then just follow the officer's directions on how to go from there. Around here, though, CCLs are so common that I'm sure they don't really raise too many eyebrows among our local deputies.
                Lt. Col. Grace - "Lt. Murphey, why are you all dressed up to mack on the ladies?"
                Me - "Sir, you just answered your own question."

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by TimK View Post
                  As a civilian, it seems to me that the rule of thumb is; if my hands stay on the steering wheel, no need to say anything. My one and only traffic stop resulted in a polite and brief conversation that never involved license and registration. If my hands need to leave the steering wheel and there's a firearm in reach, I'll let the officer know and see what they want to do. Granted, in some jurisdictions there is a requirement to inform. Best to look into that now rather than take advice from internet lawyers and cops in other states.
                  FAIL!


                  I dont care WHAT the law 'requires'. ALWAYS inform the Officer you are armed/have weapon in vehicle, it is the best way to prevent 'mistakes' that may cost you your life. If Im at your window and Im chatting with you and my cover officer on the other side of your car sees a weapon you can GAR-OWN-TEE on being taken out of the vehicle at gunpoint. If you should somehow 'forget' to tell me and you start reaching for your wallet, hows my cover supposed to know youre not reaching for your pea shooter? Again, plan on being shot.

                  If I am advised (like last night) that my subject has a weapon I issue commands to keep us both safe, secure the weapon until Im done or just get the info verbally so theres no need to reach all over the car, conduct bidness and return the weapon with a thank you. To this day I have NEVER cited a driver who told he was armed before I had to find out myself. My guy last night had a city warrant for his arrest. he drove away with a thank you.
                  Originally posted by crass cop
                  Just do it in front of a camera and try not to get a boner and you shoudl be fine.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I am required by law to notify in Ohio where I live, and in nearby MI, however the state of IN does not require it, and info from one persons stop there seemed to indicate the Officer was freaked out when the guy notified.

                    So in OH or MI, I will notify as required...where it is NOT required, I will notify when the gun is somewhere it may be seen by an officer while I am in the vehicle with it.

                    For example, if it is not required to notify, and the gun is in the glove box, and my registration and proof of ins are above my visor.......I will not notify. I'm not going to LIE if asked if there are firearms in the vehicle, I will just not answer the question.

                    Bill
                    Just pay your dues, and be quiet :-)

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Eh from my experience, its just better to let the officer know. Some officers may think you are some kind of gun nut that gets off on having a CCW, but oh well. I would rather have it out in the open lest this happens to be an officer who gets squirrly when it shows up on the computer and I haven't disclosed OR we run across it when I am getting out my paperwork.

                      Getting done with the stop without new holes in me comes WAY before worrying about the ticket or what the cop will think because I disclosed that I have a CCW and at least one firearm in the car.
                      -------------------------------
                      You can't fix stupid, but you can arrest it. - LINY

                      "Their house, their rules. And when they get robbed, they can call 911 and ask them to send a hippie to protect them." - ateamer

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by LaPlaca View Post
                        My guy last night had a city warrant for his arrest. he drove away with a thank you.
                        This part confuses me; he had an active warrant out for arrest, and you let him go?
                        Lt. Col. Grace - "Lt. Murphey, why are you all dressed up to mack on the ladies?"
                        Me - "Sir, you just answered your own question."

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by willbird View Post
                          So in OH or MI, I will notify as required...where it is NOT required, I will notify when the gun is somewhere it may be seen by an officer while I am in the vehicle with it.

                          For example, if it is not required to notify, and the gun is in the glove box, and my registration and proof of ins are above my visor.......I will not notify. I'm not going to LIE if asked if there are firearms in the vehicle, I will just not answer the question.

                          Bill
                          Then with all due respect, you sir, are a fool. Little kids come up with reasoning like you have just displayed. "I didnt lie" "I never answered you". Again, plan on getting out of your car. You play your games, we'll play ours.

                          What harm could possibly come from letting us know youre armed? I could fill 3 pages on here of harm that MAY result in us finding out ourselves.
                          Last edited by LaPlaca; 03-07-2011, 10:16 AM.
                          Originally posted by crass cop
                          Just do it in front of a camera and try not to get a boner and you shoudl be fine.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Murf425 View Post
                            This part confuses me; he had an active warrant out for arrest, and you let him go?
                            Yup. Warrant was for unpaid speeding ticket. Subject was a recently returned soldier who was deployed when it went to warrant. Having been in the military myself, the fact he was an army dude had ZERO bearing on my reasoning for not taking him in. He told me he had a weapon in the vehicle, the warrant was for a minor offense so he got to drive away with the knowledge he has a warrant and how to take care of it.
                            Originally posted by crass cop
                            Just do it in front of a camera and try not to get a boner and you shoudl be fine.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Oddball-Six View Post
                              Eh from my experience, its just better to let the officer know. Some officers may think you are some kind of gun nut that gets off on having a CCW, but oh well. I would rather have it out in the open lest this happens to be an officer who gets squirrly when it shows up on the computer and I haven't disclosed OR we run across it when I am getting out my paperwork.

                              Getting done with the stop without new holes in me comes WAY before worrying about the ticket or what the cop will think because I disclosed that I have a CCW and at least one firearm in the car.
                              Actually, you'd be surprised. The vast majority of Officers think nothing of the sort.

                              Are some cautious? Yes. Depending on the area they may even disarm you for the duration of the stop.

                              However, having worked with Coppers from all over the Country, I can tell you that the vast majority have deep respect for law-abiding citizens who have made the decision that they are not "going to go quietly into that goodnight".

                              Are there actual "gun nuts" out there? Yeah, and they can be scary, but truth be told it's not the firearm that scares me, rather it's the mentality of the person carrying it. Fortunately, the majority of citizen CCW's that I've encountered were not at all "gun nuts", rather, firearms owners that treat all firearms with the respect due them.

                              I'll never have a problem with that.

                              -V

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 5780 users online. 341 members and 5439 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X