Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sure glad we have no pursuit policies!

Didn't seem to work so well.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/home/51...south.html.csp

Driver crashes car into man, woman, child in SLC driveway
    BY AARON FALK
    AND SHEENA MCFARLAND
    The Salt Lake Tribune

First published Mar 06 2011 12:02PM
    Updated 37 minutes ago
    A speeding car fleeing from a police traffic stop launched into the air and crashed into a man, woman and small child as they were getting into their parked car Sunday morning in Salt Lake City.

The man suffered life-threatening injuries and is in critical condition, said Salt Lake Police Lt. Bryce Johnson. The woman and child received less severe injuries. The three were taken to an area hospital.

A police officer had attempted to pull over the male driver at the 7-Eleven at 535 E. 1700 South for not having a rear license plate. The man driving the vehicle sped off and turned west on Downington Avenue (1805 South). The police officer, following protocol, turned off her emergency lights and pulled over to the side of the road, rather than chase the automobile through a residential neighborhood, Johnson said.

If you are not allowed to chase word gets out and you are left somewhat useless because the real bad guys wont stop. I support the chase for most cases, if a person is not willing to shop there is something worth going after.
    It's not that liberals are ignorant. It's just that they know so much that isn't so. Ronald Reagan

TSA, I would rather be felt up than blown up.

Comment

Originally posted by Justsaying View Post
      If you are not allowed to chase word gets out and you are left somewhat useless because the real bad guys wont stop. I support the chase for most cases, if a person is not willing to shop there is something worth going after.
      I was thinking the same thing. I can understand a no-pursuit policy in some cases but not a blanket no pursuits AT ALL policy. That's just dumb.
      Everybody counts or no one counts.
      -Harry Bosch

Some of you may remember that in my early days I was sort of a bleeding heart liberal. Then I became a man and put away childish things.
      -Ronald Reagan

Comment

I live in Salt Lake City, I didn't know the police here are restricted from pursuing. Hey Chief Chris Burbank, get your act together why don't ya. Also does this mean I am allowed to run from the cops??? Of course I never would, however, as stated before the criminal element will think that is the case. I hope the guy who was hit is alright. I used to live 1 block from where this happened. Ben to that 7-11 bunches of times. Kinda hits close to home. (no pun intended)
        The only thing I hear when you say anything is "blah blah blah I'm a dirty whore".

Originally posted by Michigan
        I don't want to sound gay...

But I'd do him.
        Do you like airplanes and aviation??JOIN http://forums.officer.com/forums/group.php?groupid=20

My goal is to have the longest most annoying signature line ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Justsaying View Post
          I dont support the chase in "most" cases because in my experience "most" cases tend to be a suspended license, traffic bench warrant, dead tags or anything else minor you can come up with. Every now and then, you will get a hit on the car involved in a homicide or an armed carjacking.

When these idiots flee, they put all of society to include you (the officer) at risk. Something serious? Yes. Minor? No. That officer did the right thing. Now no one can sue anybody except for the pos who fled. And if he turns in to worm food? Well, do what you can stand. Also I dont agree at all with blanket NO CHASE POLICY AT ALL but a restrictive one, yes.

Comment

I disagree with any kind of a restrictive chase policy. We're cops, we chase bad guys. That's our job.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Green View Post
              I live in Salt Lake City, I didn't know the police here are restricted from pursuing. Hey Chief Chris Burbank, get your act together why don't ya. Also does this mean I am allowed to run from the cops??? Of course I never would, however, as stated before the criminal element will think that is the case. I hope the guy who was hit is alright. I used to live 1 block from where this happened. Ben to that 7-11 bunches of times. Kinda hits close to home. (no pun intended)
              I have heard that they don't do too many chases.. I live in Ogden, and I have seen OPD in pursuit a couple of times.

Comment

Originally posted by redsox2010 View Post
                I was thinking the same thing. I can understand a no-pursuit policy in some cases but not a blanket no pursuits AT ALL policy. That's just dumb.
                My agency has a no vehicle pursuit policy, unless it's a confirmed violent felony. Even at 3 AM in the morning with no traffic, no vehicle pursuits.

Comment

I can only remember of hearing about one chase that SLC initiated. It was about 4 years ago or so. I don't remember the circumstances behind it but I think it started near down town Salt Lake and went up through Davis county and then back down into Salt Lake. They eventually stopped the guy on I-15 around 600 North or 600 South or there about. Makes me want to look it up now...I just may.

Found it!

Rush-hour chase ends in arrest
                  Police say incident began as robbery, turned into carjacking
                  Published: Thursday, Feb. 10, 2005 9:33 a.m. MST

By Joseph M. Dougherty
                  Deseret Morning News

Police arrested a man Wednesday after a low-speed rush-hour chase through Salt Lake and Davis counties.

The chase ended about 6:30 p.m. on southbound I-15 about one-half mile north of the I-80 West exit.

Police said the driver was one of several people suspected of robbing a Logan couple visiting Salt Lake City to buy some stereo equipment. At 4:50 p.m. the Logan man and his girlfriend were in their car in the area of 400 East and 700 South when two cars pulled up. A man got out of one of the cars and demanded their money.

The Logan man refused, and what started as a strong-arm robbery evolved into an armed robbery and then a carjacking. Another man approached the car with a gun, demanding the money again, said Salt Lake City police detective Dwayne Baird.

A third man, who also had a gun, told the victims they would be relieved of their car. The third man left in a dark blue 2001 Volkswagen Passat, while another suspect left in the victims' car.

An officer spotted the Passat on I-15 and began pursuit. From the area of 600 North the driver proceeded to Redwood Road and headed north into Davis County as far as he could go. Near 1300 N. Redwood Road, officers spiked the tires on the left side of the car, Baird said.

So a high-speed chase with speeds as high as 80 mph turned into a low-speed chase as the car could only go as fast as 40 mph.

Near 1300 North, the man threw a gun out of his car. It was recovered by police, Baird said.

In West Bountiful, the car got back on I-15 and headed south. By that point officers from Salt Lake City police, Utah Highway Patrol and the Davis County Sheriff's Office were in pursuit, with news helicopters following from the air.

UHP troopers spiked the Passat's right tires near the Beck Street offramp, forcing the car to slow to 15 and then 10 mph. The driver brought the slowing car to a halt about one-half mile north of the I-80 West exit.

Patrol cars surrounded the Passat, while other pursuing vehicles, both marked and unmarked, stopped traffic for about 10 minutes. The Passat, which ended up with two flat right-side tires and no tires on the left side, had been reported stolen out of Bountiful.

The driver, Anousak Kaykeo, 27, was arrested without incident. He is a known gang member, Baird said. The victims don't appear to be gang members.

Police are still investigating the incident and trying to track down other participants in the robbery.

Baird said investigators don't know if the person selling the stereo equipment to the victims is tied to the robbers. But the robbers somehow knew the victims had money they could steal.

By 7:30 p.m. traffic was flowing normally through the downtown area.
                  Last edited by Mr. Green; 03-07-2011, 04:08 AM.
                  The only thing I hear when you say anything is "blah blah blah I'm a dirty whore".

Originally posted by Michigan
                  I don't want to sound gay...

But I'd do him.
                  Do you like airplanes and aviation??JOIN http://forums.officer.com/forums/group.php?groupid=20

My goal is to have the longest most annoying signature line ever.

Comment

I equate super restrictive policies with cowardice on the part of the command staff. It boils down to not trusting the officers and supervisors to police themselves. Pathetic.

Baddies run, we chase. It's how the world works.

Isnt't SLC one of those merged department abortions?

Comment

Originally posted by Utah Deputy View Post
                      Didn't seem to work so well.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/home/51...south.html.csp

Driver crashes car into man, woman, child in SLC driveway
                      BY AARON FALK
                      AND SHEENA MCFARLAND
                      The Salt Lake Tribune

First published Mar 06 2011 12:02PM
                      Updated 37 minutes ago
                      A speeding car fleeing from a police traffic stop launched into the air and crashed into a man, woman and small child as they were getting into their parked car Sunday morning in Salt Lake City.

The man suffered life-threatening injuries and is in critical condition, said Salt Lake Police Lt. Bryce Johnson. The woman and child received less severe injuries. The three were taken to an area hospital.

A police officer had attempted to pull over the male driver at the 7-Eleven at 535 E. 1700 South for not having a rear license plate. The man driving the vehicle sped off and turned west on Downington Avenue (1805 South). The police officer, following protocol, turned off her emergency lights and pulled over to the side of the road, rather than chase the automobile through a residential neighborhood, Johnson said.
                      That made so much difference in this case, the turd kept on fleeing and the turd caused an accident, not the officer...
                      It's not the will to win that matters...everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters.
                      Paul "Bear" Bryant

Comment

One of our Officers got herself in a foot pursuit a ways back. She was injured as a result of the pursuit, (torn muscle). Because it was an LOD injury it went to the accident review board. It was decided her injury was 'preventable'. That pretty much put the word out that if youre injured, dont claim it, if it runs, dont chase it.
                        Originally posted by crass cop
                        Just do it in front of a camera and try not to get a boner and you shoudl be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by oneoldcop View Post
                          That made so much difference in this case, the turd kept on fleeing and the turd caused an accident, not the officer...
                          The turd always causes the accident. ****bags should be held responsible for all damages/injuries sustained during their pursuit, by all vehicles involved.

Comment

Pursuits suck, period. They are, however a neccesary evil. Here is what most administrators don't seem to want to acknowledge: That just because we shut down the lights and sirens and pull over, doesn't mean that Mr. Turd is going to think to himself "Oh my, the police are no longer chasing me. I will now slow down and obey the traffic laws."

Now, you have some turd flying through traffic with NO warning whatsoever to the public. Administrators can wash their hands of it publicly by shrugging and saying "We terminated the chase due to the danger to the public"...but did we protect the public by allowing this a-hole to keep driving that way?

Absolutely not. No pursuit policies are ridiculous. If you run we will knock your a_ss off the road policies do. The whole point should be to get the car stopped, not let it continue on unimpeded.

In all honesty, I have wavered throughout the years on this. Then I came to realize that all no pursuit policies were is an opportunity for departments to wash their hands of their responsibilites to the citizens so that they can forego being sued.

Want to curtail people running from you? Then start knocking them into the weeds the first opportunity you have. END IT. Once that word gets around, people will think twice before trying to run.
                            Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

rpd1794 and Chomp, I agree with both of you, if you are in a fight with someone-hands on, do you drag it out and see how long it takes? No, you end it as quickly as possible.

I'm an administrator and I approve this message.
                              It's not the will to win that matters...everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters.
                              Paul "Bear" Bryant

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5829 users online. 322 members and 5507 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X