Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Jersey Officers Hold Massive Rally Against Governer

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #91
    Magic Matt, your right, I did make some general blanket statements that I shouldn't have. No, you were not necessarily the one who made the statement about not liking it, you could quit. However that line has been stated several times on this site when the topic of unions come up and it is always used by an anti-union person.

    Yes, I'm from a union state. Yes I was laid off. I had many years on with a dept and jumped to another one. Lost all of my seniority, which I knew going in. The dept lost money when revenue sharing was dramatically cut. Small dept and I was the first laid off. Kind of funny because I had many more years experience than the most senior officer, but that is life and that is the fair way. I have been on the job for a while now, but prefer to leave my "info" section the way it is.

    Do you believe that your dept is typical of a non union dept? I can not say this with any authority at all, but do you believe that there is less politics in the south regarding LE? I really don't know, but I know that in my state, I wouldn't even consider being a cop without union representation because of the politics.

    Yes, folks, I'm fanatical when it comes to a couple of things.....family, country, police work, and emergency services unions. Oh yeah, coaching also. Yes, I can be borderline ***hole about it also....as you have seen from my posts. I have just seen too many cops get screwed by politicians and it pizzes me off when public employees are sacrificed for the mistakes and ignorance of elected officials.
    Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"

    Comment


    • #92
      I have done the job in two states, one out west and one down south, neither union, but both states have mechanisms built into law to protect public employees. In the western state we had a crappy officer who was lazy and abused sick leave, the department tried to sanction him; he took it to court and shockingly got reinstated with back pay and all cost…

      Current state, prior state agency, they tried to move an officer do to staff shortage, officer appealed and won because regulations won’t allow them to move you more than 25 miles without your approval… Then they tried to disciple the officer a year later when they were activated for Hurricane Duty, they decided not to deploy and went to NY city, somehow the officer won the appeal and was not disciplined… I mean what the F do you have to do around here to get fired!
      Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

      Comment


      • #93
        We're hiring. No furloughs, getting a raise, ect...But very UNION.
        Being a good street cop is like coming to work in a wet suit and peeing in your pants. It's a nice warm feeling, but you're the only one who knows anything has happened.

        Comment


        • #94
          Originally posted by Ex Army MP View Post
          Finally, I am tired of folks who say " why should I pay for your benefits?" or " the private sector pays for the public sector salaries and bennies". Really? Since when didn't public sector employees pay taxes? I pay 5K a year in property tax and all other state, local and federal taxes,so I, a public employee, also contribute to the salaries and bennies of my fellow public employees. And when I shop at Wal Mart, I am contributing to the bottom line of that corporation, right? Do I tell Wal Mart employees that I am paying their salaries?

          The bottom line is that the right wing media is succeeding at turning the middle class against one another while the rich fat cats are laughing their way to the bank.
          There is very little "right wing media".

          And if you looked at your agencies budget, and somehow isolated what portion of it was paid for by income taxes paid by public sector employees what portion do you think that would be ? Maybe 1% ? And as well as paying taxes, you get a vote SOMEWHERE (like most of us you may pay some taxes where you get no vote, but you get a vote where you live not where you work).

          The bottom line is public sector pay, benefits, holidays, and vacation time WAYYY exceeds what anybody gets in the private sector.

          So the private sector has HAD it up to here with pulling the gravy train, and we are putting it on the siding to rust away.....the SAME private sector that is buying Toyota's and other non union made vehicles.

          So everybody pays taxes, everybody gets a vote...and if the people voting to elect reps ALL make less than you, have far less (maybe some have NONE) paid holidays, CAN be fired from their job, may not get paid health care, if they DO get it have to pay a portion. More or less earn less than the lowest paid person in your agency...they will not support the current largess.

          Honestly if you look at yourself as a taxpayer, when you join a public sector union, you are organizing against YOURSELF.

          Bill
          Just pay your dues, and be quiet :-)

          Comment


          • #95
            http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_theloo...s-police-force





            Two months after Camden, NJ, laid off 160 police officers, city prosecutors have released a sobering report showing a dramatic rise in violent crime in the drug-and-crime-ridden city of 80,000 residents.
            Aggravated assaults with firearms jumped 259 percent in January and February compared to last year, and violent crime over all is up 19 percent, the Camden County Prosecutor's Office told the Philadelphia Inquirer. Murders and robberies, however, were down for the period.
            "I can't tell you we're seeing an increase in crime because of the layoffs," Thomas Garrity Jr., the prosecutor's office investigations chief, told the paper. "I do know we have the perfect storm that includes a sluggish economy, the proliferation of national gangs, and a reduction of police manpower throughout the county."
            Many other municipal and state governments find themselves reckoning with similar challenges. In recent months, mayors and governors have been significantly cutting what are usually considered untouchable services like cops, teachers, and basic medical care. Michigan officials say Detroit must close half of its schools, and officials are debating a proposal to let classroom sizes shoot up to an average of 60 students. Arizona is denying lifesaving organ transplants to people on state Medicaid rolls. Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker's budget proposal slashes $1 billion to schools and local governments over two years and cuts 1,200 state jobs. California Gov. Jerry Brown is proposing $12.5 billion in cuts to social services, universities, and other programs while asking for a $9.3 billion tax hike over the next five years.
            These state-level cuts will trickle down to cities and towns, exacerbating huge budget deficits like Camden's.
            Camden Police Chief J. Scott Thomson has cut his salary by $15,000 and demoted many of his remaining senior police officers to patrol positions after the massive layoffs, according to the New York Times. After union-city negotiations broke down in January, the city fired nearly every officer hired after 1998, following the union-dictated seniority layoff policy. So the remaining police force of 200 officers is middle-aged.
            "They love seeing a 40-year-old cop get out of that car instead of a 24-year-old guy who can actually chase them down," an unnamed police officer told the Times, referring to criminals.
            And residents are wasting their time, sources say, if they report nonviolent serious crimes. "If you're not shot or murdered, or if it does not involve a drug gang, it's not going to be investigated," another anonymous cop told the Times. An anti-crime group called The Guardian Angels volunteered to patrol the streets after January's layoffs.
            Camden Mayor Dana Redd said 100 police officers could have kept their jobs if they took a 20 percent wage cut. The officers instead agreed to a wage freeze and unpaid leave days, which was rejected. Sixty-seven firefighters and 100 clerks were also axed in an attempt to close the city's $26.5 million deficit, according to the Star-Ledger. The Camden public library was shut down as well.
            Camden is one of the nation's most impoverished and crime-ridden cities, though a drop in the murder rate in 2009 and 2010 raised hopes among residents that the tide could be turning.
            It's not that liberals are ignorant. It's just that they know so much that isn't so. Ronald Reagan


            TSA, I would rather be felt up than blown up.

            Comment


            • #96
              To add to my post. You get what you pay for, they don't want to pay for protection this is what happens.
              It's not that liberals are ignorant. It's just that they know so much that isn't so. Ronald Reagan


              TSA, I would rather be felt up than blown up.

              Comment


              • #97
                Originally posted by willbird View Post
                There is very little "right wing media".

                And if you looked at your agencies budget, and somehow isolated what portion of it was paid for by income taxes paid by public sector employees what portion do you think that would be ? Maybe 1% ? And as well as paying taxes, you get a vote SOMEWHERE (like most of us you may pay some taxes where you get no vote, but you get a vote where you live not where you work).

                The bottom line is public sector pay, benefits, holidays, and vacation time WAYYY exceeds what anybody gets in the private sector.

                So the private sector has HAD it up to here with pulling the gravy train, and we are putting it on the siding to rust away.....the SAME private sector that is buying Toyota's and other non union made vehicles.

                So everybody pays taxes, everybody gets a vote...and if the people voting to elect reps ALL make less than you, have far less (maybe some have NONE) paid holidays, CAN be fired from their job, may not get paid health care, if they DO get it have to pay a portion. More or less earn less than the lowest paid person in your agency...they will not support the current largess.

                Honestly if you look at yourself as a taxpayer, when you join a public sector union, you are organizing against YOURSELF.

                Bill
                Bill, sorry it took so long to respond. I have been busy working in my public sector job.

                In any event, I am not sure where you're getting your numbers but I simply don't see it. Again, I make 54K per year as a prosecutor with 5 years experience The average associate at a law firm in my state makes about 80K. Judges make 161K whereas a law firm partner( what a judge's equivelant is) makes about 400K. These are just examples I am familiar with and can do a job by job comparison. My guess is that your numbers compare all workers which would include part time workers without bennies in the privates sector. The government doesn't have many of those but at the same time, we don't have the same opportunities to get rich. That's always been the trade off.

                Also, something most people don't talk about is that public sector employees are more likely to have served in the military. This is true because many states and the Feds offer veteran's preference. Just look at the number of vets on this site. We deserve to get rewarded for our sacrifice.

                And again, it's a complete myth that we're lazy and that those in the private sector work harder. I have worked as a sales person and a casino dealer while working my way thorugh law school. I hated those jobs and am much happier in the public sector. Still, I work my arse off handling several hundred cases at a time. All for 54K and a pension which I pay 8.5% into. So this notion that you all work while we colllect a check in nonsense. You get what you pay for and it's quality services of public employees.


                "Jerry, just remember, it’s not a lie if you believe it". George Constanza.

                Comment


                • #98
                  this here..

                  Originally posted by Ex Army MP View Post
                  Judges in NJ make 161,000 per year, no matter what area of the state they live in( doesn't go as far in Essex and Hudson county as it does in Cape May county).
                  is the BIG problem !! 161,000 a year, there's many other fat loaded judges made alot more than that.
                  still 161,000 is too much. not to mention that their expenses, clothes, transportation, security and other perks are paid for by our taxes. why need that much ? hell, i could live comfortably on 30,000 a year on a pinch.
                  i'd understand the heart surgeon making 500,000 a year. you know why ? let me tell you why. a mechanic and the doctor sat down during lunch time. the mechanic looked at the doctor hands. the hands looked so delicate and super clean. then the mechanic looked at his fingernails. there's alot of grease underneath fingernails. he asked the heart surgeon, "how come you made more money in a day than i do in a year when im the one busting my butt everyday and you do one open heart surgery in one day ?" the doctor answered "Could you replace a piston and install a new fan belt on an engine while it's running ?"
                  jeez, the judges just runs his mouth and make alot of people mad.
                  break censorship chains

                  Comment


                  • #99
                    Governor.....

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by pfchell View Post
                      is the BIG problem !! 161,000 a year, there's many other fat loaded judges made alot more than that.
                      still 161,000 is too much. not to mention that their expenses, clothes, transportation, security and other perks are paid for by our taxes. why need that much ? hell, i could live comfortably on 30,000 a year on a pinch.
                      i'd understand the heart surgeon making 500,000 a year. you know why ? let me tell you why. a mechanic and the doctor sat down during lunch time. the mechanic looked at the doctor hands. the hands looked so delicate and super clean. then the mechanic looked at his fingernails. there's alot of grease underneath fingernails. he asked the heart surgeon, "how come you made more money in a day than i do in a year when im the one busting my butt everyday and you do one open heart surgery in one day ?" the doctor answered "Could you replace a piston and install a new fan belt on an engine while it's running ?"
                      jeez, the judges just runs his mouth and make alot of people mad.
                      You seem to know a lot about New Jersey's problems for someone who lives in Maine.

                      Comment


                      • i' ve

                        Originally posted by Big Blue NY 85 View Post
                        You seem to know a lot about New Jersey's problems for someone who lives in Maine.
                        been around a bunch. lately i been polishing my pitchfork for spring works. so if you seen a guy with a pitchfork across his shoulder, you can think it's probably me. maybe not.
                        break censorship chains

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by pfchell View Post
                          been around a bunch. lately i been polishing my pitchfork for spring works. so if you seen a guy with a pitchfork across his shoulder, you can think it's probably me. maybe not.
                          Again...wtf are you talking about? What do you think a experienced lawyer should make? Everyone wants great employees but doesn't want to pay for them.
                          For the cops out there: You are an adult. If you want to write someone, write them. If you don't want to write someone, then don't write them.

                          "Jeff, you are the best cop on this board"-Anonymous Post

                          Comment


                          • then..

                            Originally posted by jeffIL View Post
                            Again...wtf are you talking about? What do you think a experienced lawyer should make? Everyone wants great employees but doesn't want to pay for them.
                            do the job, but earn it honestly which that the money is worth it. wth..you know, i dont like the f word, lately i seen that around alot.. i do not allow it on my farm. my children and grandkids know the result of consquences.
                            break censorship chains

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Magic Matt View Post
                              N.J. police salaries rank highest in nation with median pay of $90,672

                              “a police officer making $100,000 a year may cost a town twice that when benefits, pension payments and other expenses are considered.”

                              “Police are now required to pay 1.5 percent of their salary toward health care, like other public employees. ”
                              http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/201...nk_highes.html


                              Top pay for a Trooper I is $97,188

                              State Paid Health Benefits
                              • Troopers who attain 25 years of service in the SPRS are entitled to State paid health benefits in retirement. State Troopers does not require any cost sharing by the Troopers.

                              http://www.state.nj.us/njsp/recruit/salary.html
                              Now subtract 10% from that, 1.5% for benefits + 8.5% for pension. Now subtract dental and life insurance, $10,000-$20,000 for property tax.

                              After 25 years you can collect 65%. No benefits after retirement.


                              Also I would say the MAXIMUM average pay for an officer is 90k. In south jersey it's 60k, northern jersey ranges 100k-120k. But everyone's starting salary is 30-40k and most have a bachelor degree requirement.
                              Last edited by mallninja; 03-09-2011, 01:00 PM.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Murf425 View Post
                                Christie, like everyone else who's won a recent election, won because his constituents were tired of spending and wanted smaller government.
                                Now that he's trying to make good on what he said he'd do, the response is "...but don't cut me." If you elect someone who's platform is to curtail spending and shrink government (especially if you're a public employee), don't act suprised when it happens.

                                Personally, I suspect that we've seen the end of the days where public sector work was a good field to work in.

                                For the record, I WISH that my health premiums were only 1.5% of my salary. I'm paying 11.24%.

                                Comment

                                MR300x250 Tablet

                                Collapse

                                What's Going On

                                Collapse

                                There are currently 5348 users online. 320 members and 5028 guests.

                                Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

                                Welcome Ad

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X